Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFishcake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Cumbria, England
Ok. I have recently purchased a new iPhone 5 16GB in black. And a few days after using it and loving it I discovered all the commotion over "Bend Gate" and people reporting that their iPhone's had bent.

But the thing is.. there is literally isn't a single video on the internet that show's how easy the phones bend by hand or just in general. All I have seen are pictures of the bent phones.

Not calling you guys liars But I have just watched a video of a guy running over his iPhone in a Car and it didn't bend... So how on earth am I supposed to believe that your phones have "arrived bent" or "bend in your pockets"

And until I see a video of somebody actually bending an iPhone with their bare hands or and un-boxing video where the phone is bent right after taking the shrink wrap off the box as brand new. Then whos to say that everybody with a bent iPhone who said "they bend easy" or "it arrived bent" isn't just ********ting their way out of the fact they did something really stupid with their phone or haven't looked after it correctly.

I'm annoyed that people are even saying these sort of things because it Builds a very negative view of the phone and is steering people away from what is a beautifully crafted and very durable device, with excellent support and functionality

Does anybody have the balls to go to an apple store and video themselves bending an iPhone 5 by hand? or is willing to somehow get their hands on an iPhone 5 and do a bending test?

Because until I see video proof of how "easily" they bend then I am not going to believe it. and Everyone who has a "bent" iPhone 5 isn't looking after their phones.

RANT OVER.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

syd430

Given that you're so certain that it won't bend, why don't you do this with yours and upload the video?

Reactions: Lealou

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Because until I see video proof of how "easily" they bend then I am not going to believe it. and Everyone who has a "bent" iPhone 5 isn't looking after their phones.

The fact is that most iPhones aren't bent, and won't ever bend, if they are well taken care of. You bring up a very good point in that iPhone owners should take better care of their devices, but accidents do happen to all of us, sometimes even if we're being careful.

If you own an iPhone 5 you should use a case to avoid the bending, but the reality is that the device CAN bend, and WILL bend should you provide enough pressure.

You're skeptical and there's nothing wrong with that, but I've had enough bent devices come through our repair shop's doors to know that this is an innocent defect that owners are facing.

MrFishcake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Cumbria, England
Given that you're so certain that it won't bend, why don't you do this with yours and upload the video?

Haha, You have a point.and I'm not going to lie... I have been very tempted to try bending the device myself. But that would make me as bad as everyone else so Id rather not.

I'm still very curious as to why there are no videos of bending tests though.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If you own an iPhone 5 you should use a case to avoid the bending...

OK, I will bite: how would a case, most made out of plastic or silicon, prevent bending?

Any flexible material will bend under sufficient pressure. The iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4, 4s, and the original iPhone) is made out of aluminum and glass. The aluminum frame will bend if enough pressure is applied. Bent beyond certain point, the frame won't spring back to its original position, resulting in a bent iPhone.

The question is, how much pressure? Someone breathing on it, front pocket, back pocket, back pocket sitting down on a firm cushion, back pocket sitting down on a firm cushion with someone bouncing on your lap ;), last one while the phone is hot?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Because when people damage things in this society, there are a group of folks who ALWAYS have to blame something else. If they wreck their car it's somehow the cars fault, if they lose their job it's because of a secret agenda, or if their phone gets bent because of them sitting on it or causing it extra stress then they have to find some far fetched rationale like "it bent on it's own" in order to try and shift the blame anywhere but on themselves.

If it came bent from the factory, it'd be an easy fix. But they don't "notice" the bend for weeks at a time (in most cases) leaving the simplest explanation to be: they did it themselves.

They can post all they want about metallurgy and the horrible decision Apple made by using aluminum instead of polished diamonds or plutonium...

The VAST majority of users (even those who go caseless) have no bends. Why is that if it's such a "problem"?

Because there is no "problem". Period. There might (and I stress might) be a handful of users that didn't notice a manufacturing defect for weeks and suddenly became aware of it, but that is not indicative of a "problem" or a "gate". Most of the cases are still likely user error, and that still only accounts for a handful of "bent" phones...

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
OK, I will bite: how would a case, most made out of plastic or silicon, prevent bending?

Any flexible material will bend under sufficient pressure. The iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4, 4s, and the original iPhone) is made out of aluminum and glass. The aluminum frame will bend if enough pressure is applied. Bent beyond certain point, the frame won't spring back to its original position, resulting in a bent iPhone.

The question is, how much pressure? Someone breathing on it, front pocket, back pocket, back pocket sitting down on a firm cushion, back pocket sitting down on a firm cushion with someone bouncing on your lap ;), last one while the phone is hot?

The thin aluminum can and will bend. The exact pressure needed? No one has done a test with measurement equipment to provide this information. Of course it will bend. The glass is also very flexible, which is why most of the time it remains intact while the body is bent. Why not get Apple care +, take your iPhone, set it on two bricks with a 3" gap and put weights on it in increasing amounts until it bends, then you will know. Post back with results. :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
My iPhone 5 is a gorgeous phone.

Yet nearly wafer thin & made from easily deformed aluminum, common sense should prevail. Most of us are well aware of Apple's priorities. It's form over function & durability, always.

The iP5 being longer & thinner is ripe for being easier to damage as opposed to earlier models.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The thin aluminum can and will bend. The exact pressure needed? No one has done a test with measurement equipment to provide this information. Of course it will bend. The glass is also very flexible, which is why most of the time it remains intact while the body is bent. Why not get Apple care +, take your iPhone, set it on two bricks with a 3" gap and put weights on it in increasing amounts until it bends, then you will know. Post back with results. :D

Sure. But before I start this experiment, I need to get all the parameters right. Does the bottom brick have to be butt shape? If so, where do I go and get one?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Sure. But before I start this experiment, I need to get all the parameters right. Does the bottom brick have to be butt shape? If so, where do I go and get one?

Funny ;).

I think if someone has a damaged phone they are taking in for replacement, it wouldn't take much to see how many ft/lbs of force is needed to bend the phone. I bet we will all be surprised at how little force is needed.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
My iPhone 5 is a gorgeous phone.

Yet nearly wafer thin & made from easily deformed aluminum, common sense should prevail. Most of us are well aware of Apple's priorities. It's form over function & durability, always.

The iP5 being longer & thinner is ripe for being easier to damage as opposed to earlier models.

Even IF I were to agree with that (I don't) why then do we not have tens of thousands of cases of bent phones? They sold millions of the things, if it's do delicate and "easily deformed" there should be more than a few dozen cases on the internet right?

Fact are, there have been NO proven cases demonstrating how "easy" it is to bend, let alone it "bending on it's own" as some have claimed.

It's BS. Sorry. I know some people love a good conspiracy, but there's nothing here, move along...

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Even IF I were to agree with that (I don't) why then do we not have tens of thousands of cases of bent phones? They sold millions of the things, if it's do delicate and "easily deformed" there should be more than a few dozen cases on the internet right?

Fact are, there have been NO proven cases demonstrating how "easy" it is to bend, let alone it "bending on it's own" as some have claimed.

It's BS. Sorry. I know some people love a good conspiracy, but there's nothing here, move along...

Actually, I have a theory. Most people bends their iPhone without noticing it. Say, they carry it in their pocket and walk vigorously and the phone is bent in one direction. Then the next day they did the same, but now the phone is reversed so it is bent the other way, thus flattened out. Only a few very perceptible people noticed it and posted here.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you put the longer and thinner iPhone 5 into your back pocket and sit or fall down in a particular way then it's completely feasible that it could bend. Such an event would likely also damage any other type of phone though, so I'm not sure this is a defect per se.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
If you put the longer and thinner iPhone 5 into your back pocket and sit or fall down in a particular way then it's completely feasible that it could bend. Such an event would likely also damage any other type of phone though, so I'm not sure this is a defect per se.

This exactly. its thinner and longer and is not indestructible. if its in back pocket, tight pants, gets sat on, or pressure is applied to center im sure it would bend.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Your fertile imagination makes for an entertaining read. The possibilities seem to disturb you.

It's only a phone. Easily replaced with any number of other choices, if you're paranoid.

I get to enjoy mine because I don't let these truths bother me. My Apple products have always held up well, because I know how to care for them.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Your fertile imagination makes for an entertaining read. The possibilities seem to disturb you.

It's only a phone. Easily replaced with any number of other choices, if you're paranoid.

I get to enjoy mine because I don't let these truths bother me. My Apple products have always held up well, because I know how to care for them.

Methinks you've completely misunderstood the post you were referring to! ;)

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I don't think all iPhones are susceptible to bending. I checked the 20+ iPhones at the Apple Store and all of them were straight. And I can tell you these phones have been all kinds of abuse. The bottom part where the lightning connector goes in has the anodization completely worn off. Just for kicks I tried bending an iPhone with all my might and though it gave a little, it didn't stay bent. Sitting on it is another story but I would expect that most phones wouldn't survive being sat on.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
I don't think all iPhones are susceptible to bending. I checked the 20+ iPhones at the Apple Store and all of them were straight. And I can tell you these phones have been all kinds of abuse. The bottom part where the lightning connector goes in has the anodization completely worn off. Just for kicks I tried bending an iPhone with all my might and though it gave a little, it didn't stay bent. Sitting on it is another story but I would expect that most phones wouldn't survive being sat on.

Thank you for confirming with every iphone in the store. Case closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.