Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Sad to see Microsoft can't seem to pull together a better showing. I'm just surprised they keep missing the mark just enough to get left behind.

Just an observation and comment on MS.

Love seeing that Apple continues to keep and expand their share of the market. I have high hopes that recent changes at Apple will make 2013 a great year.

Have you used one of the phones running MS crappy OS?? Missing the mark doesn't even begin to describe the situation! How bout.........SUCKS!

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I'm suprised there is only .2% different between Apple and Samsung during the height of the iPhone rollout.

More suprising is on the OS side Google actually gained more subscribers vs Apple.

Am I reading this right?

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
Whilst Apple no doubt win hands down when it comes to profit per device. We've got no way of knowing Androids income as its split.

You've got the handset profit, that can be worked out the same way you work out iPhone handset profits, but then you've got the licensing side of things.

Google make a fair bit from licensing their 'GAPPS' service in Android, then you've got the appstore, search revenue via android handsets, etc.

Is it as high as Apples? Nobody can answer that. Not you nor I. We can only go on speculation. For example, a year ago Oracle claimed Google make $10m a day just from handset activations.

All these companies are public companies. How much they make is full disclosed in their earnings reports.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't think GoldenJoe is that far off. I know people just like what he describes. Not everyone is a teen, 20 or 30 something user. I think the older users (50+) that are not tied to surfing non-stop get these for very limited use or are up-sold into a smart phone when they really don't need it or use it.

For everyone person you know I know someone that didn't. Opinions are one thing. Facts are another. And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because they were "coerced or whatever word you want to use is naive. If you think that everyone (or most) that own iPhone WANTED the iPhone vs the same - just wanted a phone that could play youtube and get email/web - then you're also naive.

There are probably thousands upon thousands that ultimate don't care either way. Maybe they bought based on looks. Screen size. Cost at the time. Special offer. What their sister, brother, mother, son had without even giving it a second thought. Maybe some just bought the iPhone because it's well known and is less confusing (less models). Maybe some bought Android because they simply didn't want Apple. So many reasons - which is why blanket statements like the one I and you responded to - are in my opinion - silly.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
I'm suprised there is only .2% different between Apple and Samsung during the height of the iPhone rollout.

More suprising is on the OS side Google actually gained more subscribers vs Apple.

Am I reading this right?

It is true. I have asked several SIII users. The single most important reason they choose it is the screen size. Although I don't think a big phone is really beneficial to them in the long run, their are many people attracted to big screen. There is no doubt about it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Luckily, nobody said that in this thread. You just made up a strawman.

Luckily I put it in quotes and also said whatever word someone wanted to use.

"Unfortunately, because they were up-sold, and not genuinely interested in the platform"

Now that might not read as being coerced. But it does imply they were talked into something they didn't want or think they wanted.

But again - I didn't state someone said it. So no strawman. But you stating I made up a strawman - is in fact, a straw man. LOL

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Companies are not in business to get market share. They are in business to make a profit. Where's the data on comparing smartphone profits? That's the only thing that really matters to a company.

Thank you for saying this. I think you're 100% correct. Since when does Ferrari want to have 100% market share of total car sales? They don't. They want to make a profit, and that means only a slim margin of total sales and an even slimmer margin of its segment.

The same is true of Apple. They just want more profit, and sometimes that means not have all of the market share.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Microsoft can't seem to gain any momentum. I think it's interesting that despite the larger # of Android users, iOS owns the lion's share of mobile web browsing. What are all those Android users with ginormous screens doing with them? I'd be curious to see other popular usage breakdowns across the platforms like Youtube, Netflix, Twitter, etc.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Luckily I put it in quotes and also said whatever word someone wanted to use.

"Unfortunately, because they were up-sold, and not genuinely interested in the platform"

Now that might not read as being coerced. But it does imply they were talked into something they didn't want or think they wanted.

But again - I didn't state someone said it. So no strawman. But you stating I made up a strawman - is in fact, a straw man. LOL

I was referring to the whole sentence. Not one word.

"And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because..."

Nobody said anything about "most people who own Android" in this conversation.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
You have to compare apples to apples. Android is on a lot of handsets. Apple only makes a few. Retention to the OS is more important then, right?

If that's the case - (http://appleinsider.com/articles/11..._rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html)

HTC, Motorola and Samsung combined (retention) is 92 percent. Granted - they make phones that are not Android.

So you can't really compare.

I would say both OSes are doing very well in keeping loyalty.

That's quite a stretch to come up with such an argument. You may be singular in your metric, but far be it from me to spend time trying to refute it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I was referring to the whole sentence. Not one word.

"And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because..."

Nobody said anything about "most people who own Android" in this conversation.

No. True. What he said was "A very large portion of those devices are with people who would have otherwise owned a "dumbphone" like an LG enV or a Samsung Gleam"

Going from most to a very large portion is splitting hairs. Feel free. I'm certainly not going to defend my comment - which has value - to you any further.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
As Apple as done, and they done it with 1-2 phones. Also, Apple is keeping up with Samsung with only 1-2 phones and is keeping up with Android with 1-2 phones. How many phones does Samsung have and how many phones are now running Android?

In the US Market, where boutique and luxury items sell better than overseas...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
For everyone person you know I know someone that didn't. Opinions are one thing. Facts are another. And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because they were "coerced or whatever word you want to use is naive. If you think that everyone (or most) that own iPhone WANTED the iPhone vs the same - just wanted a phone that could play youtube and get email/web - then you're also naive.

There are probably thousands upon thousands that ultimate don't care either way. Maybe they bought based on looks. Screen size. Cost at the time. Special offer. What their sister, brother, mother, son had without even giving it a second thought. Maybe some just bought the iPhone because it's well known and is less confusing (less models). Maybe some bought Android because they simply didn't want Apple. So many reasons - which is why blanket statements like the one I and you responded to - are in my opinion - silly.

Not completely silly.

Over the holiday season in the US, I was repeated pushed towards an android phone when I specifically said I was looking for an Windows phone for my kid's upgrade (she loves her Windows Phone) in several Verizon stores.

Luckily I did some research online so I could inform the the sales staff of the discounts and price of the phones I was looking to buy. If I hadn't I would have walked out thinking that there weren't any Windows Phones for sale at all.

This happened at several stores, so I believe there is some truth to android phones being pushed over Windows and iPhones.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's a lot lower than I thought... Most anyone I see walking around on their phone has an iPhone.

There's a phone in my car that is used when I know I'll be home late because I'm stuck in a traffic jam. And once it was used when my car broke down. It would be one of the 81.5% if I was in the USA. But you wouldn't see me walking around with it. It's in the glove compartment of my car.

It also was considerably cheaper than an iPhone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's quite a stretch to come up with such an argument. You may be singular in your metric, but far be it from me to spend time trying to refute it.

Not really an argument. I was merely pointing out that the OPs comment doesn't hold water in and of itself to me. The statement about retention vs Android. You simply can't tell.

----------

Not completely silly.

Over the holiday season in the US, I was repeated pushed towards an android phone when I specifically said I was looking for an Windows phone for my kid's upgrade (she loves her Windows Phone) in several Verizon stores.

Luckily I did some research online so I could inform the the sales staff of the discounts and price of the phones I was looking to buy. If I hadn't I would have walked out thinking that there weren't any Windows Phones for sale at all.

This happened at several stores, so I believe there is some truth to android phones being pushed over Windows and iPhones.

Ok - but you didn't get an Android phone, right? My point isn't what is being pushed or not. My point was that a) you can't make a blanket statement about the purchasing habits of people and b) that people aren't necc buying Android because they don't care vs iPhone users that do (as to which phone they own).

Both platforms have a a wide spectrum of users and how they came to their decision.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No. True. What he said was "A very large portion of those devices are with people who would have otherwise owned a "dumbphone" like an LG enV or a Samsung Gleam"

Only if you take that quote out of context. "Those devices" was a reference to the previous sentence, not all Android devices.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Didn't Steve Jobs say he wanted to get 2-3 % marketshare ? Seems to me he would be pretty happy.

Original goal was selling 1 percent of all phones (worldwide), which would have been about 10 million phones per year at the time.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I have and love my iPhone...but the % would be a LOT lower if Apple/Carriers hadn't introduced the 99cents older iPhone and $99 older iPhone models.

Not only has Apple increased it's %, but it has really kind of destroyed the 2nd hand market for a used iPhone...why would someone buy a used iphone for $75 from a friend when they can get 2 brand new ones (with warranty) for a buck or even $99?

I have heard and read that a lot of folks are switching from the iPhone to the Androids...or buying Androids in the first place...to avoid the Apple-lock-in-monopoly and for easier/expanded features. When my contract is up this year, I may also dump my 4S for an Android...I'm very sick of the iTunes-never-ending-reliance-and-upgrade.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Sure there is. Microsoft can't give its stuff away for free.

WindowsPhone OS is pretty good.

They just need to find a good price point and an under sale Apple and Android for awhile to get some traction. Can't see people paying $200 to 'try out' the latest flagship Windows phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.