Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hundreds_icon-150x150.jpg
Hundreds, from the makers of Canabalt and Solipskier, is a minimalistic puzzle title that's making waves with its simplistic design and clever gameplay.

Previously a Flash game, Hundreds has been ported to iOS with great success, incorporating intuitive multi-touch controls.

The idea is to tap a series of circles on the screen. With each tap, the number on the circle increases, until it reaches 100. As they grow, circles turn red, and if they collide, the game will end. Each level incorporates new challenges and gameplay elements. From the App Store description:
Simple in concept, deep in design, Hundreds is a puzzle game that requires quick fingers and deep thinking.

The goal of Hundreds: Grow at least 100 points between the circles in each puzzle. Circles turn red and volatile while being grown and if they collide, it's game over. It's that easy.
So far, Hundreds has received rave reviews from our sister site Touch Arcade and Kotaku, which has already named it 2013's potential Game of the Year.

Hundreds can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Canabalt' Creator Releases Minimalistic Puzzler 'Hundreds'

Buduls

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
By just looking at the video I did not understand what is this game about...

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
It's a simple puzzle game. A simple puzzle game.

And a gallon of gas is simply a liquid used to power cars. And it's at least 3 dollars pretty much everywhere. And Starbucks coffee is like 4 dollars, for simply a few ingredients mixed together. A picture signed by Michael Jordan is simply paper with some ink on it, but it's worth at least hundreds of dollars.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The game is free in Flash form on New Grounds. I got up to level 11 before concluding this game is:

1 - Not fun
2 - Not impressive
3 - Not worth $3
4 - Not worth my time

Here's how the game works:
- There's a bunch of random small balls bouncing around with the number zero inside.
- Point your cursor at a ball and it will start growing + its number will go up (I imagine on iOS you tap your finger on a ball to accomplish the same thing.)
- Once the numbers sum up to 100, you win
- Having a growing ball collide with any other ball makes it so you have to restart

As far as I could tell, there wasn't any real strategy or puzzle to it. It seemed to be entirely reflective... see a ball that wasn't near any other balls, point at it and get away before it approaches any other balls. Generally that meant just watch the corners of the screen for a ball getting stuck away from the others. It's not interesting to start with and it gets less interesting as you go.

Edit: It looks like the reviews are all for the iOS version, which I guess is actually fun because it has more gameplay elements?

Eh, too bad, I was too completely turned off by the web version to look at the iOS version.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
And a gallon of gas is simply a liquid used to power cars. And it's at least 3 dollars pretty much everywhere. And Starbucks coffee is like 4 dollars, for simply a few ingredients mixed together. A picture signed by Michael Jordan is simply paper with some ink on it, but it's worth at least hundreds of dollars.

To be fair, Starbucks coffee is around two bucks...it's the frappuccinos n such that are four.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Never have played nor heard of the game and simply using some second-tier thinking skills, I'm guessing the longer you hold in a bubble the more points it or another bubble gains. You have to hold in bubbles until the total points on the board equals 100.

Then there are things that can freeze bubbles and stuff like that.

If that's not close to how the game is played, fooled me. If it works like that and has more than, say, 50 levels, I'm in for $3. Just one less breakfast burrito this week :D

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The Canabalt dude has always moaned about the pricing of the app store.

Yet he really has the guts to price this dumb game at $3? lol

I bet in his head this is a $60 game.

----------

To be fair, Starbucks coffee is around two bucks...it's the frappuccinos n such that are four.

You're going to get more enjoyment out of that coffee than his game.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The game is free in Flash form on New Grounds.

Looks like that version is much simpler (no actual levels, just the same thing every time?) while the iOS version has levels (over 100) that get more complicated and require more strategy and puzzle solving. It also looks like it's much better suited to touch (or multitouch) than mouseover which isn't a great interface for it.

I agree that the video doesn't make it super clear how the game functions, but I feel like I can figure it out, and it looks pretty cool to me, I'll probably get it. But he'd probably sell more copies with a free demo version that had a few of the levels so people could try it out and get addicted - the people who have actually played it seem to love it, while those that have just seen the video assume it would be boring.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
I like it

I downloaded this app and I have to say that I really like it. It is a fun game. If I didn't like it, I WOULD NOT POST ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT IT. Grow up folks and stop stating something negative about this one app. There are almost a million apps now in the App Store. Go post negative comments on the apps that you do not like. :apple:

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
It is originally $5 and it is on sale now for $3. How is this app worth $5??
I could pick up a couple of other apps instead of this one.

Any ways, is this app even worth it? Based on the video I got nothing out of it besides a bunch of circles.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I downloaded this app and I have to say that I really like it. It is a fun game. If I didn't like it, I WOULD NOT POST ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT IT. Grow up folks and stop stating something negative about this one app. There are almost a million apps now in the App Store. Go post negative comments on the apps that you do not like. :apple:

This is an article about an app - Why aren’t people allowed to share their experiences with it? It will help others make an informed decision about wether to buy it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.