Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahcl20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Hi folks, am thinking of getting the Apple TV.

I have a Bose Sound Dock speaker which I have attached a bluetooth receiver to, so normally I connect my MacBook Pro to it to play music.

What I really want to know is if it's possible to use the Apple TV to connect to my TV (via a HDMI cable), then have the Apple TV to connect to my speaker via bluetooth, so the audio from the TV will play from the speaker?

I tried using the online Apple Store help chat thing but they couldn't answer me - just kept referring me to the specs page!

Thanks.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
As far as I know, the only way to connect to the AppleTv is through HDMI or Optical Audio.

Here's a link to the specs page -there is no mention of Bluetooth...
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

The Bose SoundDock I looked at had an Aux In, but that's not an optical input. There are several variations of the SoundDock - check yours for an optical port.

Your TV may also have an audio out port that you can use to send sound to the SoundDock. You would have to check the TV.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Hi folks, am thinking of getting the Apple TV.

I have a Bose Sound Dock speaker which I have attached a bluetooth receiver to, so normally I connect my MacBook Pro to it to play music.

What I really want to know is if it's possible to use the Apple TV to connect to my TV (via a HDMI cable), then have the Apple TV to connect to my speaker via bluetooth, so the audio from the TV will play from the speaker?

I tried using the online Apple Store help chat thing but they couldn't answer me - just kept referring me to the specs page!

Thanks.

It is not documented if the TAV3 has bluetooth at all. Rumors suggest that is does. Fact is hat currently there are no bluetooth setting in the ATV's IOS. I do have a question for you: can't you have your ATV connect to your TV, your TV to your amp and your amp to your sound dock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.