Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

House Republicans "Fail" hit list (contributions welcome)

I am at a loss of words at how dysfunctional the Republican party, nee Congressional House has become.

Failed to pass:
"Fiscal Cliff bill" Senate created and they simply OK without any real consideration
Sandy Relief
Violence Against Women Act (More)

Failed to apply any changes:
Federal Aviation Administration Funding bill delayed by 2 weeks as they kept debating, but changed nothing
Farm Bill last second extension, delayed by MONTHS of debating but nothing changed

what else, next?
How much damage have they done to US business?
I know with the FAA bill it was millions.
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

what else, next?
How much damage have they done to US business?
They don't care. The goal is to make Obama look bad. They admitted this a long time ago. Nothing is off limits and they will do whatever it takes to gain power.
leekohler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

The fiscal cliff bill sucked....plain and simple. They gave on the tax increases and got squat in the way of spending cuts, which is the only way ANYTHING is going to get done on the deficit. So they caved on their only bargaining chip and now have very little leverage when it comes to getting the spending cuts.

The Sandy bill needed to be squashed. It had a ton of extra pork in there completely unrelated to what is going on up in New Jersey and New York. Senate Democrats had to throw a bunch of extra crap in there to get enough red state Republicans on board to get the bill through. Projects for coastal Alabama, Mississippi and Texas have no business in this bill and luckily common sense jumped in there to shoot it down. The problem they ran into is that they had no other alternative ready to go....and that was a HUGE tactical mistake. Hopefully they have something in the hopper ready to go and were just waiting on getting all of the lame ducks out of town to act on it, but I'm not holding my breath.

House Republicans need new leadership. Someone has got to get in there and bring together moderate Republicans with the folks more over on the right. All of the infighting isn't doing anyone any good and Boehner and Cantor seem clueless as to how to bring all sides together.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
The fiscal cliff bill sucked....plain and simple. They gave on the tax increases and got squat in the way of spending cuts, which is the only way ANYTHING is going to get done on the deficit. So they caved on their only bargaining chip and now have very little leverage when it comes to getting the spending cuts.

The Sandy bill needed to be squashed. It had a ton of extra pork in there completely unrelated to what is going on up in New Jersey and New York. Senate Democrats had to throw a bunch of extra crap in there to get enough red state Republicans on board to get the bill through. Projects for coastal Alabama, Mississippi and Texas have no business in this bill and luckily common sense jumped in there to shoot it down. The problem they ran into is that they had no other alternative ready to go....and that was a HUGE tactical mistake. Hopefully they have something in the hopper ready to go and were just waiting on getting all of the lame ducks out of town to act on it, but I'm not holding my breath.

House Republicans need new leadership. Someone has got to get in there and bring together moderate Republicans with the folks more over on the right. All of the infighting isn't doing anyone any good and Boehner and Cantor seem clueless as to how to bring all sides together.
Agree on all points.

Sandy bill is a political ball, as you and Criste pointed out.
Republicans seem to be making one massive political mistake after another. I am not taking small losses, but massive confidence destroying losses.

It's like then entire Rep party is RINO, as they all seem to have different agendas.
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:16 PM   #5
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:

It's a sad state of affairs when you need to add pork to a bill in order to get Republicans from unaffected states to vote for it so victims can get relief, but then they use that pork to kill the bill.....

All of these conservative groups saying that they will only support the bill if they cut spending in order to pay for it.... Just shows how these groups are willing to hold people suffering hostage in order to further their own agenda. Disaster relief should never be used for a political game. I wonder if a giant hurricane or tornado came through their area and absolutely devastated it would they still go, " We don't need relief! Cut the spending first before you help us out!!" Actually, they are with the group headed by Koch who lives in Manhattan saying don't pass the bill without a means to pay for it....
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Jan 3, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:18 PM   #6
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Its always amused me that they are allowed to add an unrelated amendment to any bill, for example you could add a tax break for oil companies to an education bill.

Surely an obvious rule change should be that all bill amendments have to be directly relevant to the bill.
swiftaw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Just disgusting that you need to add pork to get red states (who, by and large, suck way more money out of the federal government than they pay in) to do their jobs and govern. Do they get the fact that were it not for blue states and the federal government redistributing wealth, many rural people would be driving on dirt roads, accessing the Internet on copper telephone lines and sending their sons up to the roof to constantly adjust their TV antennas?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Just disgusting that you need to add pork to get red states (who, by and large, suck way more money out of the federal government than they pay in) to do their jobs and govern. Do they get the fact that were it not for blue states and the federal government redistributing wealth, many rural people would be driving on dirt roads, accessing the Internet on copper telephone lines and sending their sons up to the roof to constantly adjust their TV antennas?
It is ironic that the constituencies represented by the tea party candidates are probably some of the ones that take most federal money.

Part of me thinks it would be interesting to see what would happen if we give the tea party exactly what it wants, that is, massive federal cuts. Once the reality of those cuts hits the public, I would imagine there would be an outcry and the next election cycle would be interesting.
swiftaw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

Umm you do know that you just listed several Red states that had the stuff tacked on. Safe to say those were GOP senators who tack on those items.

As for the coastal projects it would be an it depends type of things. There are a lot of things that it would be worth paying the money now for reducing the damage cost when the next storm hits those area.
Rodimus Prime is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:17 PM   #10
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
As for the coastal projects it would be an it depends type of things. There are a lot of things that it would be worth paying the money now for reducing the damage cost when the next storm hits those area.
Then they can get their own bill, IMO.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:17 PM   #11
mcrain
Banned

There are so many things the 112th congress could have done, but it failed repeatedly. Let's not forget the Farm Bill and the USPS.

Quote:
Case in point: the “dairy cliff.” Milk prices could double to between $6 and $8 dollars a gallon in January because Congress has failed to agree on a new farm bill. If nothing is done, the rules governing dairy price supports revert to a law passed 63 years ago in 1949. Congress has not been able to agree to reforms to the Postal Service which would keep it solvent.

The appearance of former Republican Majority Leader Bob Dole seated on the Senate floor in early December did not stop Republicans from voting down a United Nations treaty aimed at promoting equal rights and better treatment for the disabled. The Violence Against Women Act, which has had bipartisan support since it was first passed in 1994, lapsed because Republicans opposed its expansion to gay and immigrant victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. MSNBC
Quote:
The 112th Congress will adjourn as the least productive Congress on record. Just 219 bills passed by the 112th Congress have been signed into law. The last Congress passed 383 bills.

The Congress before that shepherded 460 bills into law. President Harry Truman‘s “Do-Nothing Congress” passed more than three times as much legislation as this year’s House and Senate managed; 906 bills became law in 1947-48.
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Then they can get their own bill, IMO.
sadly you know that would never pass on its own but I was pointing out that it was not the Dems who put those items on there. Those type of bills tend to go as riders only and it would make sense to have the repair and stuff done after something like Sandy to prevent future damage.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:57 PM   #13
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
It is ironic that the constituencies represented by the tea party candidates are probably some of the ones that take most federal money.

Part of me thinks it would be interesting to see what would happen if we give the tea party exactly what it wants, that is, massive federal cuts. Once the reality of those cuts hits the public, I would imagine there would be an outcry and the next election cycle would be interesting.
How about we pass a law that no state can receive more in federal funds than their residents pay in federal taxes? Why am I supporting so many damn freeloaders?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues