Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I'm considering getting an iMac with the Fusion Drive and was just wanting to hear your opinions on whether 128Gb will be enough to just have apps, no media on?

From what I've seen OSX needs about 15Gb, if I want a bunch of apps (say iLife, iTunes, Photoshop, Final Cut etc) would they be able to fit on the SSD of my Fusion Drive?

Does anybody here fill up more than 128Gb with apps?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
And what if they dont?

Fusion drive is programmed to automatically swap files between the drives based on your usage.

Unless you use all your 128gb equally as much, surely this should be ok?

Rockstar2

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I´m using my macbook pro since 2008 (snow leopard) with a 160GB hard drive.
The Size of my application folder never really went above 60 Gb.

I think it depends from user to user. But a 128Gb SSD should be fine for now.

GreXXL

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I'm considering getting an iMac with the Fusion Drive and was just wanting to hear your opinions on whether 128Gb will be enough to just have apps, no media on?

From what I've seen OSX needs about 15Gb, if I want a bunch of apps (say iLife, iTunes, Photoshop, Final Cut etc) would they be able to fit on the SSD of my Fusion Drive?

Well the most prominent problem would be that you have no influence what-so-ever on where "FusionDrive" puts your files. I'd asume that some key parts of OSX are kept on the SSD to keep startup times down. As for the files you will have to trust the logic that is built into "FusionDrive".

I think it will do the trick, and I like that you don't have to fiddle around yourself. It just does it for you.
If you need super-power you need to go for a large SSD-only setup, which unfortunately is just freaking expensive :)

greets

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Well the most prominent problem would be that you have no influence what-so-ever on where "FusionDrive" puts your files. I'd asume that some key parts of OSX are kept on the SSD to keep startup times down. As for the files you will have to trust the logic that is built into "FusionDrive".

I think it will do the trick, and I like that you don't have to fiddle around yourself. It just does it for you.
If you need super-power you need to go for a large SSD-only setup, which unfortunately is just freaking expensive :)

greets

Well I'd aim to keep total hard drive use under 128Gb and use externals for everything else to ensure everything is on the SSD.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I read on another site that the fusion drive also caches 4GB for read/write use so you would have 124GB however don't forget some of that spaceman be reduced by formatted space. I'm not sure how much.

But you have less that 124GB in reality.

GreXXL

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Well I'd aim to keep total hard drive use under 128Gb and use externals for everything else to ensure everything is on the SSD.

Hm, well that might work. Personally I think it's a bit of a waste for the TB that you don't use. Why not using it for less-frequently used files that you access only on demand? Finally it's up to you, on how to use your MAC - but upgrading for the not-that-inexpensive Fusion Drive and not using the technology seems to be a waste for me.

I read on another site that the fusion drive also caches 4GB for read/write use so you would have 124GB however don't forget some of that spaceman be reduced by formatted space. I'm not sure how much.

Well I guess in reality you have less space than that. But I don't know if you see the actual size of your flash space - when using it in a Fusion Drive? The aim of Apple is to hide that from the user, so you will only see the 1TB that you got in total, not what's used of your HDD and of your SSD? Well maybe someone who actually already got one can tell you :)

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom

If it's not you can always buy an external drive like the LaCie thunderbolt SSD, or you could always get yourself a flash drive for them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Te...1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357248407&sr=1-3

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007

Spaceman? It auto corrected my perfect sentence to make no sense...

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hm, well that might work. Personally I think it's a bit of a waste for the TB that you don't use. Why not using it for less-frequently used files that you access only on demand? Finally it's up to you, on how to use your MAC - but upgrading for the not-that-inexpensive Fusion Drive and not using the technology seems to be a waste for me.

Well I guess in reality you have less space than that. But I don't know if you see the actual size of your flash space - when using it in a Fusion Drive? The aim of Apple is to hide that from the user, so you will only see the 1TB that you got in total, not what's used of your HDD and of your SSD? Well maybe someone who actually already got one can tell you :)

Its only a waste cos apple doesnt offer a smaller flash only option. As it is my plan is a cheap way to get an internal all SSD boot drive without ripping open my mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.