Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeantro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Hi

Can you tell me if it's possible to remove the two original hard disk on a lacie big disk thunderbolt with two SSD like samsung 840 or another mark ?

thanks

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Also wondering if it's possible to change to 2.5" drives, it doesn't say that on their website. Nor do they say if the SATA-connection is SATA III, they only say that it's SATA III on the SSD version.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The 2big expects a 3.5" drive to be mounted into the metal carrier drawer that holds the drive. You would need to have a conversion kit that converts the 2.5" drive into the 3.5" form factor. And then mount that kit into the 2big drive carrier.

Possible, but you'll need a little technical skill.

Jeantro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
The 2big expects a 3.5" drive to be mounted into the metal carrier drawer that holds the drive. You would need to have a conversion kit that converts the 2.5" drive into the 3.5" form factor. And then mount that kit into the 2big drive carrier.

Possible, but you'll need a little technical skill.

thanks for your quickly reply

I understand you but I speak about this little bog it's a 2.5 drive inside

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10549

I just want to know if you change internal disk with another mark you can use it

----------

Also wondering if it's possible to change to 2.5" drives, it doesn't say that on their website. Nor do they say if the SATA-connection is SATA III, they only say that it's SATA III on the SSD version.

for you if you buy the no SSD drive you get SATA II ?

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Sorry for the confusion, as you originally simply said "lacie big disk".

Yes, of course, the Little Big Disk already has 2x SSD inside.

LaCie offers several configurations with either HDD or SSD inside.

If you search the many other thread postings on the subject, you will find many examples of people who have tried different SSD inside of the original Little Big Disk. the newer version simple supports faster SSD due to the SATA III interface inside that has been enabled. The older Little Big Disk was limited to SATA II performance, even though you could install SATA II or SATA III 2.5" drives.

thanks for your quickly reply

I understand you but I speak about this little bog it's a 2.5 drive inside

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10549

I just want to know if you change internal disk with another mark you can use it

----------

for you if you buy the no SSD drive you get SATA II ?

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Sorry for the confusion, as you originally simply said "lacie big disk".

Yes, of course, the Little Big Disk already has 2x SSD inside.

LaCie offers several configurations with either HDD or SSD inside.

If you search the many other thread postings on the subject, you will find many examples of people who have tried different SSD inside of the original Little Big Disk. the newer version simple supports faster SSD due to the SATA III interface inside that has been enabled. The older Little Big Disk was limited to SATA II performance, even though you could install SATA II or SATA III 2.5" drives.

So if I pick the HDD version, does it come with SATA II or SATA III?
This makes a huge difference if I swap the 2 HDDs to 2 SSDs.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Wow really. That was cheap of them.
Guess I won't be going with LaCie then.

Considering that LaCie did not design the product to be customer modified, I don't understand your comment. Perhaps LaCie knows something about the internal design and layout considerations that you may not be unaware of.

One reason for differences between SATA II and SATA III is more consideration needs to be placed for routing of the PCB traces to assure data integrity at the higher speeds.

Perhaps they may have segregated inventory for the newer SATA III configurations, but might still have inventory of the SATA II configs.

Over time, perhaps all future configs might use the SATA III internals. There is just no way to be sure if/when that change might occur.

In defense of the HDD version, there really is no advantage to using a SATA III interface with the HDD devices available today.

So...if you want SATA III, either purchase the LaCie config that has that, or look for the alternatives if you can find them. The Promise J4 appears to be the only candidate.

By the way, the Drobo has SATA III internally, but of the various benchmarks that have appeared, there is no real advantage performance wise. the overhead for the data redundancy far exceeds any performance advantage.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Considering that LaCie did not design the product to be customer modified, I don't understand your comment. Perhaps LaCie knows something about the internal design and layout considerations that you may not be unaware of.

One reason for differences between SATA II and SATA III is more consideration needs to be placed for routing of the PCB traces to assure data integrity at the higher speeds.

Perhaps they may have segregated inventory for the newer SATA III configurations, but might still have inventory of the SATA II configs.

Over time, perhaps all future configs might use the SATA III internals. There is just no way to be sure if/when that change might occur.

In defense of the HDD version, there really is no advantage to using a SATA III interface with the HDD devices available today.

So...if you want SATA III, either purchase the LaCie config that has that, or look for the alternatives if you can find them. The Promise J4 appears to be the only candidate.

By the way, the Drobo has SATA III internally, but of the various benchmarks that have appeared, there is no real advantage performance wise. the overhead for the data redundancy far exceeds any performance advantage.

The LaCie config that has that is twice as expensive. So no thanks. It's really too bad because they make really stylish and nice enclosures. It's a shame they don't do more user customizable enclosures(e.g. empty enclosures).

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The LaCie config that has that is twice as expensive. So no thanks. It's really too bad because they make really stylish and nice enclosures. It's a shame they don't do more user customizable enclosures(e.g. empty enclosures).

In reality, most users don't have the ability or desire to build their own drives. Considering that Seagate, WD, LaCie, etc typically sell millions of retail drives fully configured as externals, it does not surprise me that they don't worry much about the thousands that may be reaped in the DIY market.

Even here on the forums, you will see many people ask basic questions about "will this work?". Usually, it is obvious to the technically inclined as to whther something will work or not.

For example, in other threads it is asked whether a 512GB SSD will work with the Seagate thunderbolt portable adapter. In still other threads, it has already been reported by many of the more technical experts that they do not due to power requirements. Comparing specs of the various devices will usually reveal the most basic answers.

I think the manufacturers avoid the DIY because things can go wrong, and the companies will get the support questions when things don't work quite right.

In my experience, just because a device has a SATA interface doesn't mean that it will work reliably. Beyond power considerations, there are firmware issues, controller issues, and driver issues that must be sorted through. The typical user is mostly unaware of what could go wrong, and usually lacks the means to perform stress testing that may reveal data integrity issues; failure to wake from sleep issues; etc.

I'm pleased however by the many folks sharing their extensive experience for what does and doesn't work. For those that know how to search, there is a wealth of information here.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
In reality, most users don't have the ability or desire to build their own drives. Considering that Seagate, WD, LaCie, etc typically sell millions of retail drives fully configured as externals, it does not surprise me that they don't worry much about the thousands that may be reaped in the DIY market.

Even here on the forums, you will see many people ask basic questions about "will this work?". Usually, it is obvious to the technically inclined as to whther something will work or not.

For example, in other threads it is asked whether a 512GB SSD will work with the Seagate thunderbolt portable adapter. In still other threads, it has already been reported by many of the more technical experts that they do not due to power requirements. Comparing specs of the various devices will usually reveal the most basic answers.

I think the manufacturers avoid the DIY because things can go wrong, and the companies will get the support questions when things don't work quite right.

In my experience, just because a device has a SATA interface doesn't mean that it will work reliably. Beyond power considerations, there are firmware issues, controller issues, and driver issues that must be sorted through. The typical user is mostly unaware of what could go wrong, and usually lacks the means to perform stress testing that may reveal data integrity issues; failure to wake from sleep issues; etc.

I'm pleased however by the many folks sharing their extensive experience for what does and doesn't work. For those that know how to search, there is a wealth of information here.

There are many people who wants DAS or NAS. There are many companies that offer those options. However, none of them are as stylish as LaCie.

Maybe they do avoid it because things can go wrong, but in that sense.. why are they even offering custom PC-parts that people can use to build their own PC if so many things can go wrong? I don't think that's really the full reason. I just think they're greedy. This way they can charge way more for their enclosure since it already "has storage", even though that storage might not be what the customer really wants or needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.