Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
As I understand it iOS 5 onwards supports delta updates.

My understanding of a delta update is a very small code change to fix minor issues.

With that it mind I thought we would be seeing these little iOS patches every couple of weeks.

iOS 5 received a couple of updates in its life cycle and it looks like that's all iOS 6 is going to get.

The delta updates seem to have quietly gone by the wayside and it can't be said that iOS 6 is perfectly functional by any means!!

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
As I understand it iOS 5 onwards supports delta updates.

My understanding of a delta update is a very small code change to fix minor issues.

With that it mind I thought we would be seeing these little iOS patches every couple of weeks.

iOS 5 received a couple of updates in its life cycle and it looks like that's all iOS 6 is going to get.

The delta updates seem to have quietly gone by the wayside and it can't be said that iOS 6 is perfectly functional by any means!!

I think you misunderstand the point of introducing delta updates.

Take for example an iOS update 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 over the air.

Rather than downloading ALL 983MB of iOS again, the update only downloaded 7MB (ie Only the parts that had changed since 6.0.1).

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Oh.. Poo. I thought it was to update iOS much more frequently with little bug fixes.

Oh well.

Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.