Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
DrewDaHilp1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Looking for a 27" iMac in local Apple store

How many times have you gone to an Apple Store looking for a 27"?
This morning makes my 3rd trip to two different stores each(6 total), with maybe one more trip today after I call since one of them is expecting a shipment to come in soon.

Last edited by stridemat; Jan 2, 2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Updated thread title
DrewDaHilp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Ambush083
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDaHilp1 View Post
How many times have you gone to an Apple Store looking for a 27"?
This morning makes my 3rd trip to two different stores each(6 total), with maybe one more trip today after I call since one of them is expecting a shipment to come in soon.
Well, I personally would never buy a base model and I don't see Apple stocking anything more than that in store. I'm told the HD speeds are horrindous on the base models. Minimal of a fusion drive is needed. I'll go that route even though I usually use SSD's these days. I think it's a decent technology based on the reviews I've read, but this technology has been out for a while just not called 'Fusion'.

Anyway, I have gone to the Apple store and not seen any regardless. Funny thing is if you try to buy online it says shipping January, but no date. This message appeared in December though. On the phone now since Bill Me Later isn't working. Awesome! Anyway this reply is unrelated perhaps, but who doesn't enjoy a bit of chit chat? Hell I didn't even know what the thread was about until I came in here.

Anywho, I think everyone agrees this is one of the nicest iMacs yet and would be the reason for it being limited. Definitely would warn anyone getting RAM through Apple to hold off. You can get 32gb of RAM that matches the type Apple sells as far as performance for a helluva lot cheaper. Say $170 or so versus $600. Yeah...

This is the RAM I was looking at. $80.99 for 2 x 8gb. A set of 2 of these bad boys should do the job. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still right in my own mind though. :-p
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...sair+16gb+ddr3
__________________
27" iMac (2012) 3.4ghz/32gb/3TB Fusion/2GB GTX 680 | 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2012) 2.6ghz/16gb/500gb
iPhone 5S Black 32gb | Apple TV Gen 3

Last edited by Ambush083; Jan 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Ambush083 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Well I just picked up a Loaded iMac 27" with fusion drive at my local Apple store so there is hope
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
uptownnyc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
They've been at the NYC stores for quite a while.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Ambush083
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hawaii
I wish I could go walk in and get one.
__________________
27" iMac (2012) 3.4ghz/32gb/3TB Fusion/2GB GTX 680 | 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2012) 2.6ghz/16gb/500gb
iPhone 5S Black 32gb | Apple TV Gen 3
Ambush083 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have been calling them but one of the times I went in I was told that they will have 27" w/ 1tb fusion i7 processor 680mx and 8Gb ram that's the one I keep trying to find call everyday in hopes they will come in
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
That is the one they have have in my local store.
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post

This is the RAM I was looking at. $80.99 for 2 x 8gb. A set of 2 of these bad boys should do the job. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still right in my own mind though. :-p
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...sair+16gb+ddr3
I bought crucial for when mine comes in but yeah everyone says corsair vengeance will work
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Ambush083
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
I bought crucial for when mine comes in but yeah everyone says corsair vengeance will work
I have no preference. May the best RAM win.
__________________
27" iMac (2012) 3.4ghz/32gb/3TB Fusion/2GB GTX 680 | 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2012) 2.6ghz/16gb/500gb
iPhone 5S Black 32gb | Apple TV Gen 3
Ambush083 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #10
DrewDaHilp1
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I originally wanted a 3TB Fusion but at this point I'm willing to settle for a 1TB Fusion(only because of the free financing expires in about two weeks). So we both are looking for the same one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
I have been calling them but one of the times I went in I was told that they will have 27" w/ 1tb fusion i7 processor 680mx and 8Gb ram that's the one I keep trying to find call everyday in hopes they will come in
DrewDaHilp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Majh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDaHilp1 View Post
only because of the free financing expires in about two weeks
I assume you're referring to the Barclay card free financing. If you have placed your order but have not been charged due to processing, call them and they can extend the free financing period beyond the standard 30 days.

As far as the in store availability of the 27" iMacs go, I guess it really depends. I stopped by the Apple Store closest to where I live (there are 3 or 4 within about 20 minutes) to see if they had anything beyond the base models. To my surprise they had several with the 3.4 i7 and even one with the 3.4 i7, 1TB Fusion, and 680MX.

Nearly purchased it and canceled the iMac I ordered back on December 11th, but figured I've waited long enough and a few more weeks wont matter. I need the 3TB capacity unfortunately.
Majh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Blkant
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipad View Post
Well I just picked up a Loaded iMac 27" with fusion drive at my local Apple store so there is hope
What location? When? O_o I've been told it should be in my local store shortly, but I'm too ashamed to call every day. -_
Blkant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:38 PM   #13
vhp3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
What location? When? O_o I've been told it should be in my local store shortly, but I'm too ashamed to call every day. -_
Don't be ashamed! Keep on trying. Answering the phone is part of their job responsibility. This is how I found mine.
vhp3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:41 PM   #14
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Haha I do it as we'll and I call more than once a day
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
fossen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
What location? When? O_o I've been told it should be in my local store shortly, but I'm too ashamed to call every day. -_
I didn't call yesterday ... just was told yesterday is when they had a shipment in stock.
fossen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:13 PM   #16
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
What location? When? O_o I've been told it should be in my local store shortly, but I'm too ashamed to call every day. -_
Don't be ashamed! I call everyday and introduced myself to the Manager I got mine today (I am typing on it now) at The Grove in Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks had some too.

Hope this helps.
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:24 PM   #17
DrewDaHilp1
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majh View Post
I assume you're referring to the Barclay card free financing. If you have placed your order but have not been charged due to processing, call them and they can extend the free financing period beyond the standard 30 days.
Yes sorry that is what I was referring to. Thank you for the tip, I'll call them and get it settled before I order.
DrewDaHilp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:28 AM   #18
clstroud
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Just wanted to give this a bump to see if anyone else has had any luck? I ordered while I was out of town (no Apple Store there) and am still stuck in "processing" land.

The model I ordered was the same 3.4 i7/1TB Fusion Drive/8GB RAM/680MX 2GB that a lot of others seem to be wanting, however it looks like a few people were able to get this configuration in store? I'd rather cancel my order and do that if possible, instead of waiting several weeks.

For those of you that had success, how "big" is your Apple Store? There are two in my area but I presume that bigger stores get more configurations in stock sooner.
clstroud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clstroud View Post
Just wanted to give this a bump to see if anyone else has had any luck? I ordered while I was out of town (no Apple Store there) and am still stuck in "processing" land.

The model I ordered was the same 3.4 i7/1TB Fusion Drive/8GB RAM/680MX 2GB that a lot of others seem to be wanting, however it looks like a few people were able to get this configuration in store? I'd rather cancel my order and do that if possible, instead of waiting several weeks.

For those of you that had success, how "big" is your Apple Store? There are two in my area but I presume that bigger stores get more configurations in stock sooner.
I did get mine (the setup you are looking for) at the larger store in my area but I was at the smaller store yesterday (the smallest of all the Apple Stores) and they had them in stock.

Just keep calling or if you have a business call the Business Reps at the store and see if they can help you.
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:51 AM   #20
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW, TX
I'll be stopping by one of my local Apple stores in about an hour and I'll see what they have to say.
I've never seen an i7 iMac/higher end graphics model in stock in our stores. Usually the $1,999 base model has been the highest end version I've seen for sale in the store.

... but we have 5 Apple stores around the metroplex, maybe one of them stocks an i7 680MX which is exactly what I'm looking for.
__________________
2013 iMac 27" i7, 32GBRAM, GTX780M, 256GB Flash, VESA, Yosemite
2012 Mac Mini Server w/ 23TB Storage
iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Mini 16GB
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:54 AM   #21
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
I'll be stopping by one of my local Apple stores in about an hour and I'll see what they have to say.
I've never seen an i7 iMac/higher end graphics model in stock in our stores. Usually the $1,999 base model has been the highest end version I've seen for sale in the store.

... but we have 5 Apple stores around the metroplex, maybe one of them stocks an i7 680MX which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Call all of them before you go out. I would be surprised if you didn't find it. I did get the 27", 1TB fusion, 680MX for $2599 at the store.
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Sodner
macrumors 68000
 
Sodner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Store by me had the "High end" 27" in stock. I want the base with 1TB fusion so I guess I continue to wait for my order to ship. Also got 32 GB of OWC memory on order.
__________________
27" iMac, Late 2013 MacBook Air iPhone 5s 64GB AT&T iPad Air 32GB
"I believe in the six colors."
Sodner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:03 PM   #23
DrewDaHilp1
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I've still been calling, I seriously doubt the reps are even looking as I get a quick "NO." when I call. We have two Apple Stores around me and one 100 miles away, the one 100 miles away are the nicest when I call.
DrewDaHilp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Calipad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDaHilp1 View Post
I've still been calling, I seriously doubt the reps are even looking as I get a quick "NO." when I call. We have two Apple Stores around me and one 100 miles away, the one 100 miles away are the nicest when I call.
Do you work for a business or own one?
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:05 PM   #25
DrewDaHilp1
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipad View Post
Do you work for a business or own one?
Don't own one, I work for a pretty big college though.
DrewDaHilp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local bestbuys sold out of 27" iMac and 21" iMac bigdaddyc188 iMac 2 Sep 6, 2013 02:21 PM
27" Base iMac - picked up at my local store! - Dallas doobybiggs iMac 7 Jan 12, 2013 06:49 PM
What is your local apple store's mac setup? xmichaelp MacBook Pro 4 Jan 3, 2013 09:00 AM
how can i reserve a phone online at local apple store? jedi74 iPhone 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:59 PM
Playing around with RMBP @Apple local store sofianito MacBook Pro 21 Jul 15, 2012 08:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC