Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Well, we all know here that black and slate iphone 5 chips and gets scratched easily coz of its anodized aluminum, my questions is about that, but now, there has been about 3 months since the first release of the iphone 5, and i just want to know if some ppl who bought iphone 5 these days found some scratches on their black and slate phones, i really like the black and slate iphone but if it still scratches and apple did nothing to fix it i will go directly to choose white, coz im from chile and here theres not any apple store to exchange it if its get scratched

Im sorry if this post is repeated somewhere but probably i will go to my carrier on monday to request a new iphone 5 and i need to know how is the situation right now about this "Scuffgate" thing...

(Chile was one of the latter countries who released the iphone 5 on his carriers on Dec. 14, thats why i want to know if with the new shipment of phone solve the issue)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The white one will scratch and chip just as easy as the black one will. They are made of the same materials. The black will just show it more. And it doesn't scratch easily. The chamfered edge is the area of the phone that is most prone to show damage. The rest of the aluminum is actually quite resistant to scratching.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
yeah right, the nice of the white one is that they scratches dont show that easily, i think if i buy a black and slate is a must wear it a case :S

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you're that concerned about the back, get an Invisible Shield, Ghost Armor or similar clear "skin" material to cover the exterior.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
The white one will scratch and chip just as easy as the black one will. They are made of the same materials. The black will just show it more. And it doesn't scratch easily. The chamfered edge is the area of the phone that is most prone to show damage. The rest of the aluminum is actually quite resistant to scratching.

Agree 100%

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'm in the US and got a black 32g on launch day. It arrived perfect and is still perfect today. The black DOES NOT scratch easily. Their was a batch of phones that had a defective coating, but the vast majority are fine. It'll scratch about as easily as ur cars paint job. Don't drag keys across it or drop it on concrete and u will be fine.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe

Exactly this. The aluminum back and the screen are both surprisingly scratch resistant, then again, the sides should be fine too as long as you don't keep it in your pocket with extra change or keys over a prolonged period of time. The glass bits on the 5 are as scratch proof (or non-scratch proof) as they are on the 4, 4s models, which means you might end up with some minor scratches as the years go by. (Most 4 / 4s models I've seen which have never been in a case, are scratched, most notably on the back.) If you're paranoid, there's a wide selection of see-through cases to slap on your phone, though I'd go so far as to say it's not necessary, as long as you exercise a reasonable amount of caution (as you should be doing with every piece of electronics you own, iPhone or not...)
I certainly wouldn't go for the white version just because it makes scratches less noticeable... go with the version you find the most aesthetically pleasing, personally, the white was never an option for me.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I have the black one since october 1st. No screen protector, no case, and still no scratches.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Get the black one if that's what u prefer, and if the edge scratches, do the sandpaper fix as detailed in some posts here. The fix actually looks cooler than original to me.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Got a black one and put a Diztronic black case on it. It feels great, is light and protects the phone. I have never even thought about scratches. When I decide to sell it, I will take the case off it and it will be perfect.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If you are worried about scratches, just get a bumper, and you can still enjoy the looks without the worries.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, we all know here that black and slate iphone 5 chips and gets scratched easily coz of its anodized aluminum, my questions is about that, but now, there has been about 3 months since the first release of the iphone 5, and i just want to know if some ppl who bought iphone 5 these days found some scratches on their black and slate phones, i really like the black and slate iphone but if it still scratches and apple did nothing to fix it i will go directly to choose white, coz im from chile and here theres not any apple store to exchange it if its get scratched

Im sorry if this post is repeated somewhere but probably i will go to my carrier on monday to request a new iphone 5 and i need to know how is the situation right now about this "Scuffgate" thing...

(Chile was one of the latter countries who released the iphone 5 on his carriers on Dec. 14, thats why i want to know if with the new shipment of phone solve the issue)

iPhone 5 owner since October here. No case. No screenprotector. No scratches. No chips.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
First iphone 5 bought wednesday, chipped and discolored near the antennas, replaced, now in the new one my screen shows ripples and weird colors when i press it a bit... ><

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
First iphone 5 bought wednesday, chipped and discolored near the antennas, replaced, now in the new one my screen shows ripples and weird colors when i press it a bit... ><

That's normal. Don't press on the screen. Find me a LCD screen that doesn't do that. Don't take it back.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
And it doesn't scratch easily. The chamfered edge is the area of the phone that is most prone to show damage. The rest of the aluminum is actually quite resistant to scratching.

Oh I disagree whole heartedly with that. At least mine and my wife's experience was different.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Well, we all know here that black and slate iphone 5 chips and gets scratched easily coz of its anodized aluminum

No, we don't all know that, many people have black iPhones for some time now and they remain unscratched. The white ones are made of the same aluminum. My white was perfact on launch day and perfect today. We don't all know they get scratched easily. If you abuse it, it will scratch. Don't worry, be happy.

----------

You press in on the screen? Don't do that.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Oh I disagree whole heartedly with that. At least mine and my wife's experience was different.

Perhaps you got a bad one. Sorry that you had that experience but I've gone since day one with no protection at all on my iP5 and the chamfered corners are the only parts that have shown any damage even after a foot and a half drop onto a concrete floor. The rest of my aluminum is still just like new.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
My black and slate iPhone purchased Dec 8 at Best Buy had a flawless exterior. After several weeks, running it naked, I have had almost zero dings, scratches, whatevers. I installed a matte skin on the back. Sticker Boy mid matte skin that only covers the aluminum mid section. The screen gets a Spigen shield.

Seems like most of my friends who purchased closer to launch day, have more issues with the paint. I'm thinking Apple pulled it together and improved the finishing issues.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
My advice: stop worrying about inconsequential things. Scratches don't affect the functionality of the device in any way.

You're right about functionality, but you have also to consider resell value. Scratches may cost you a few ten bucks if/when you decide to sell your phone and get a newer model.

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I get no screen distortion when I press on the glass.

iPad mini or my 5.

Bought phone on release day.

No covers, geeky protectors no babying the phone at all.

No chips or scratches.

I swear people make this **** up.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Perhaps you got a bad one. Sorry that you had that experience but I've gone since day one with no protection at all on my iP5 and the chamfered corners are the only parts that have shown any damage even after a foot and a half drop onto a concrete floor. The rest of my aluminum is still just like new.

We were early adopters. Pre-ordered and everything. Out of the package marks on it. Took it to our carrier with no help, then off to apple a hour and a half away. Went through 4 more boxes to get an acceptable one. Rubbed the black off in spots on my breast pocket in a week. Took it back, got another, gave it to my wife, she used it for a week or so and then she sold it.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I get no screen distortion when I press on the glass.

iPad mini or my 5.

Bought phone on release day.

No covers, geeky protectors no babying the phone at all.

No chips or scratches.

I swear people make this **** up.

It's hard to believe that you have no scuffs or marks around the chamfered edge despite using it without a case since September. Unless you are just talking about the anodized aluminum on the back, which doesn't scratch that easily. The chamfered edges certainly do. It doesn't bother me much but it's the reality of the design.

Edited to add: it's possible that some phones (like mine) just have a weaker or defective coating along the chamfered edge, but I think it's likely that they're all the same. All the ones I've seen are, anyway.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's hard to believe that you have no scuffs or marks around the chamfered edge despite using it without a case since September.
Shouldn't be hard unless you mistakenly assume that your experience is indicative of overall trends (it never is just as one data point never defines a trend).

All the ones I've seen are, anyway.
Even "all the ones I've seen" are statistically irrelevant.

"All the ones I've seen" / millions of iPhone 5's sold is pretty close to 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.