Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ginger Refuge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I just dug out my old iPhone 3G which was jailbroken some years ago and currently has the version 2.2(5G77) - please don't judge me, I know this is old.
I need to get this phone back into action for a temporary measure as I am moving and have to give up my iPhone 4.
Can I update the version? Is there is a chance I might brick the phone? How do I update a jailbroken phone(I think it is jailbroken - it has cydia on it)?

Sine Qua Non

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
4.2.1 is the latest version for the iPhone 3G, but 3.1.3 runs much quicker if you don't need iOS 4 or above to run a certain app.

To get to 4.2.1 just plug your phone into your computer and hit 'Update' in iTunes.

Make sure you aren't using a software unlock before upgrading. You will lose your software unlockable (with ultrasn0w) baseband if you upgrade to stock 4.2.1.

sh4z

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Hi There, I recently JB my iPhone 3G
Firmware: 4.2.1
Baseband: 05.15.04-5.8

Cydia is installed wifi functioning sim detected but constantly searching. I suppose this is normal for a unsupported sim...

After a bit of reading the iPad Baseband gets the phone unlocked but you lose GPS functionality. most of the posts about this are dated 2010/2011. So I am just looking to clarify.

From what I have gathered there is now a downgrade option from the iPad baseband? I have used the latest version of RS available (afaik) v0.9.15b3

All that is left is to upgrade to iPad BB and downgrade?
I would like the phone unlocked and gps functioning properly.

Last edited:

jfox00

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Since your phone is older, I would consider going through AT&T directly for an iPhone unlock (no charge). They unlock older iPhones that we're in good standing. I did that with my iPhone 3G. Google it, and you can do it online.

sh4z

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Thanks for the Reply! wish it was that simple lol@AT&T,

It's locked to AU/vodaphone so not sure how US/AT&T could help. would be nice though.

Anyway, doesn't seem like the baseband gets updated at all even when the option is ticked. JB/Activate worked fine though ^^

Trying this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1482885/

--- Update #1
Older version of RS worked tried v0.9.6b6 - Worked first time. Attempting the downgrade baseband for unlock now.

--- Update #2
RS0.9.15b3 BB Downgrade left me with Blank IMEI,BB! lol shouldn't the latest software work the best??(Not in this case it appears) Have to say I was a bit concerned but also well informed that this could be an eventual outcome (Expensive iPod lol)

--- Update #3
Okay well After a bit of Research. Here is the approach which worked for me.
1. JB/Activate 05.15 BB (locked) with RS0.9.15b3
2. Install iPad 06.15 BB with RS0.9.6b6
3. Downgrade to 05.13 BB with RS0.9.14b2
4. Install UltraSn0w 1.2.7 with Cydia. Unlocked! :)

Thanks Guys!
Credits: iphone dev-team, dhlizard, TriJetHero & the Friendly macrumors Community ^^

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.