Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I've seen this style of photography for print and typography related material. I wonder if there is a name for it, I'd like to research best practices for it. My goal is to be able to reproduce some of these shots with some well-designed stuff I got.

Please let me know what keywords could I be searching for. Thank you.

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

The author of these shots is a quite busy person and unfortunately he announced not replying to questions.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I've seen this style of photography for print and typography related material. I wonder if there is a name for it, I'd like to research best practices for it. My goal is to be able to reproduce some of these shots with some well-designed stuff I got.

Please let me know what keywords could I be searching for. Thank you.

The author of these shots is a quite busy person and unfortunately he announced not replying to questions.

It's pretty straight forward. You'll need a white surface, two lights on either side and soft boxes to diffuse, and a tripod with a swinging center column so that you can hang the camera directly over the product. You can pick up a very basic product photography kit that includes everything you need (except for the tripod) for very cheap.

Things to keep in mind while photographing would be to use a regular or slightly telephoto lens to make sure the products are not warped by any lens distortion. Also, you may want to experiment with your exposure to keep that white background bright and crisp. Start with the regular metered exposure then try over exposing by one of two stops. You can also try doing bracket exposures (1 stop under, 1 correct, 1 stop over) and merging them together in Photoshop. Similar to HDR, but not so heavy handed and terrible looking ;) Hope this helps!

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
Search the Internet for "light box" or "light tent" that will give you an idea where to start.

I use a small light box for my product photography (I sell small items, I.e body jewellery) and the results from a basic light box, reasonable camera and tripod are very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.