Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadrunner007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
New York
Hi,

I am looking for a solution to replace my 7 years old PC-set-up. It was top of the line at the time and have updated it a bit overtime but now I am ready (and in need!) for an all new set-up. As I am already using a mac mini 2010 as my music server and an ipad for most of my internet browsing and skyping I will be looking at an all apple solution first.

I am considering to buy a 2012 mac-mini server with an SSD for the applications and an external promise pegasus thunderbolt storage for the data (mainly raw pictures, HD camera files, lossless music, office documents). I want to use this unit as a data server but also as my main computer. As I love EIZO monitors, I'd prefer this over an apple thunderbolt monitor.

Access to the server will:
1) mac mini 2010 that is connected by USB to a DAC for streaming music (in future also for streaming video to projector)
2) ipad 2 for watching pictures and videos with friends and family (either through the home network / or (lower priority) through VPN access during vacations (e.g. to copy pictures/film files onto the server)
3) occassionaly my work windows laptop for accessing documents (lower priority - not sure if the security setting on my work laptop will allow this).

Questions:
1) How can I connect both a thunderbolt storage AND a non-thunderbolt monitor (e.g. displayport/DVI)? I want to buy a 27inch EIZO so HDMI resolution will not be sufficient. Can I connect the monitor to the back of the Promise? Any other ideas?
2) Can an iPad connect to a mac mini server and view pictures/movies through a WLAN from the server storage?
3) Will my itunes on the 2010 mac mini (that is connected per USB to the DAC) be able to read music libraries stored on the mac mini server thunderbolt storage and play them withouth gaps/quality loss? (connectivity to server through WLAN (802.11n) or 1 Gbit ethernet).
4) Did I overlook anything? Any suggestions to make it simpler?

Thanks in advance for all feedback/advice. This is my first post on this forum, so please also advice if there are better ways to ask these questions.

Regards, Tom

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
it is a legit question. i have a promise thunderbolt but i don't have a 2500 by 1440p screen to test. IIRC you can only make it work with a mac thunderbolt display . promise pegasus may have a forum with the answer. I also read something about this on anandtech.com last year jan 2012 or dec 2011.

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Questions:
1) How can I connect both a thunderbolt storage AND a non-thunderbolt monitor (e.g. displayport/DVI)? I want to buy a 27inch EIZO so HDMI resolution will not be sufficient. Can I connect the monitor to the back of the Promise? Any other ideas?

I have a 2011 mini (2.7 i7, AMD Graphics, 16Gb RAM) combined with a Promise Pegasus R6 12TB and a 27" Eizo CG275W.

The monitor plugs into the back of the Promise Pegasus. This all works fine as long as you keep the mini and Pegasus running 24/7. (If you power down the Pegasus then the monitor powers down also.)

I've reported elsewhere on this forum that Photoshop is sluggish with my set-up - zooming in and out of an image is laggy, and adjustments in ACR are very slow to update on screen. It's usable - I use it every day - but irritating when working to a deadline.

I'll soon be buying a 2012 mini to see if it's any quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.