Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Arr MiHardies
macrumors newbie

iDentify 2: metadata collector for iTunes compatible videos

Hey guys,
I wrote this application to assist me in streamlining the process of getting full and complete metadata for my DVD rips for use on my appleTV. I then polished it up and put it out for the general public.

What it does it pretty simple. It looks at the name of the file you give it. Based on the structure of the file name, it attempts to determine wether the file is a TV Show or movie, also collecting season number, episode number, episode title, year, and IMDB code when provided in the file name.

Using that information, it then goes online and searches the theTVDB.com for information on that TV show, or theMovieDB.org for movies, and tagChimp to fill in anything that was missing from the first two sources. From those sites, it collects as much information as possible, such as description, cast, crew, MPAA rating, artwork, chapter names, and it looks at the dimensions of the video so it can automatically mark the video as HD. It also supports setting the cnID flag so you can merge your sd and hd videos into a single entry in iTunes.

Basic functionality is free, but a small donation will unlock some more powerful and useful functions such as automatic file renaming, auto adding to itunes, and color labeling the file.

iDentify has come a long way since I started it several years ago. It was originally written in perl using a gui wrapper and lots of helper applications to make things happen. iDentify 2 was re-written from the ground up using Cocoa instead of Perl, and using the more powerful and better maintained mp4v2 library to handle the tagging process over the antiquated and abandoned AtomicParsley. I hope you guys appreciate it and find it useful. Right now it is available from MacUpdate for free download. I'll be trying to get it out to other portals soon.

iDentify 2 at MacUpdate
Arr MiHardies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
DP812
macrumors regular

Just wanted to say thank you for this. After I converted my DVD library, iFlicks added the HD tag to the files since they were converted for Apple TV 3 and I didn't notice until later. I wanted to change them back to SD, but iFlicks wouldn't let me do this without resetting the artwork and I've been trying to find another solution (Subler kept crashing and MetaX doesn't seem to have an HD/SD option). This has given me the answer I need.
DP812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:03 PM   #3
thegamingart
macrumors newbie

Additions

This application is truly astounding. Great work on writing it (I've personally never written a meta data app in xCode but was SERIOUSLY considering it when editing my information). Just one word of thought, maybe you should consider having a database set up for the app to where metadata may be submitted to expand on it's current search abilities. As of current, I have had a hard time finding meta data to tag animes (such as DBZ and Naruto) on the episode side. Had to tag everything myself. I would love to upload that information for the world to use so no one else needs to do that. Otherwise, who knows. I may write that myself. I'm just fairly busy lol.
thegamingart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
stephen85
macrumors member

Just wanted to say thanks for the app. Just moved from windows and needed a replacement application for tagging and this fits the bill perfectly !!!
stephen85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Could you PLEASE add in Windows Safe naming of files. Too many movies have colons in the titles "Star Trek : Into Darkness" and they get replaced by Asterisks '**' which is worse! End up having to go replace them by hand. Not bad . . . until you rip an entire season of a TV show and have to edit 30 to 50 episodes by hand.

There are a few other nuances that could be cleaned up, but otherwise it's a great app and I purchased it for quite a while now. Really, anyone ripping their own library should have this!
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:53 AM   #6
sammy.d
macrumors regular

This is a great app, I really recommend it and I use it a lot. The last update seemed to really increase my success rate with TV shows (I've never not been able to use it with a movie).

Just one question though. Sometimes I need to convert movie file to mp4 using ffmpeg and when I then put those mp4s into this app, it still works but takes ages to save the info to the mp4. Any idea why this happens or are you able to fix it? Its only with files i re-encoded myself with ffmpeg...

Still a great app though!!
sammy.d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any tips on getting the resolution detection to work? I rip my Blu-Ray disks and then do two conversions, one to High Profile and the other the iPad profile. iDentify always detects both versions as 720p no matter what I do. I want to set the iPad version to SD and the High Profile version to 1080p HD. Its a pain in the butt to do manually.
imahawki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

Bump?
imahawki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store