Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
Hey
I'm new to web design and I am looking to create a payment gateway for my website. I know there are several shopping cart solutions out there (GoDaddy, ZenCart, PayPal...) but I want to build one myself. I mean, I'm pretty sure Amazon isn't using GoDaddy Quick Shopping cart to process their payments. I'm not looking fir anything close to that kind of complexity, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
While I can't help with the actual set up of one (I use third party add ons to accomplish this), I will suggest you use Authorize.net, or something similar, to securely accept payments. I've heard a story of a site that used a "back door" method of simply sending the customer's payment information as plain text into a text document to be read later. A thief found the document and stole all the credit card numbers.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Would you mind telling me what add-ons you use?

Well, it's not an add-on you can install to a site you built yourself. It's from the Concrete5 Marketplace so you'd need a site built with Concrete5. It's a free open-source CMS package and the plugin I used for a shopping cart is called "E-commerce." It is very customizable and has an Authorize.net gateway built in. It's also not a free add-on and at the time I purchased it, it was on sale for a reasonable amount off which is why I went with it. I'm not sure if it's on sale anymore.

Though I'm not sure if the above is something you're interested in since that would require using Concrete5.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm new to web design and I am looking to create a payment gateway for my website.
I've built several custom online purchase systems, building a new one right now. What exactly are you needing help with?

-pete-

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Yes, amazon have their own payment gateway system but this is mostly due to their scale.

I would advise that you use an existing system such as Authorize.net, BeanStream or Stripe in the US or CardSave if you are in the UK. Writing your own is a MAJOR hassle since you will probably need to start discussions with banks and all sorts of other things that would be a ton of an effort for someone just starting with web design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.