Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Making ML look and act just like SL.

One of the main reasons I've been putting off upgrading to ML is the changes to the UI, Mission Control, and the Versions/Resume stuff. I've done a bit of scoping around and have found SideEffects and TotalSpaces, are there any other applications like that?

Is it possible to premanantly disable Mission Control and Notification Center without it affecting Spaces or Expose? Is there a way to do the same with Versions?
Finally from what I understand TextEdit no longer allows you to modify files like .ini, is there an easy to use app for files like that?
InuNacho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Why do you want to disable those things? I was hesitant about some of them to begin with, but I do like most of them.

Text Wrangler is a superior alternative to TextEdit, I use it all the time. It's free to boot.
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Since you're putting off upgrading to ML, I assume you currently have SL..? Be like me and stay contented with SL until your Mac dies... In the meantime you might wanna spend your time contemplating alternatives to Mac instead of wasting them pondering whether to upgrade to ML...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #4
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Just upgrade and get it done, the difference isn't huge. Just ignore all of the useless features.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post
Since you're putting off upgrading to ML, I assume you currently have SL..? Be like me and stay contented with SL until your Mac dies... In the meantime you might wanna spend your time contemplating alternatives to Mac instead of wasting them pondering whether to upgrade to ML...
Alternatives to Mac? Are you sure? Ah yes. Sometimes I really miss Windows and think about going back. Then I ask myself. Are you surely sure? Are you really really sure you are really surely sure?

I got dragged kicking and screaming to Lion so I could get iCloud. I got dragged kicking and screaming to ML so I could get shared photostreams. For me these two features far outweigh the little quirks of the OS but I wish Apple would let older Macs come to the iCloud and Photostream party especially since they killed idisk and mobileme. So SL users are supposed to use Skydrive or Google Drive? I think this is a missed opportunity for Apple to keep all their users in the Apple ecosystem rather than drive users on older OS or older hardware into the arms of their competition if they want cloud services.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post
One of the main reasons I've been putting off upgrading to ML is the changes to the UI, Mission Control, and the Versions/Resume stuff. I've done a bit of scoping around and have found SideEffects and TotalSpaces, are there any other applications like that?

Is it possible to premanantly disable Mission Control and Notification Center without it affecting Spaces or Expose? Is there a way to do the same with Versions?
Finally from what I understand TextEdit no longer allows you to modify files like .ini, is there an easy to use app for files like that?
Maybe try and duel boot ML first to get the feel of it... I think you will find it is really nice to use. I was the same way with my old MacBook (white) when I had Snow leopard but I got used to Lion/ ML really quickly and I like it just as much if not better than Snow Leopard. However if you're content with SL, why upgrade?

----------

You cant simply hack or change expose/ Mission control without affecting almost all graphical aspects of the desktop (Besides changing the pattern in mission control) because it is all part of the dock.app as far as I know.
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
b0fh666
macrumors regular

mission control is not that bad, but there is a stupid thing about it that is unbelievable... it does not let you move a window from one display to another... how stupid is that?

cheers
b0fh666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post

You can make Mission Control act like Expose in Mountain Lion by having it not group windows together. It turns into Expose similar to Leopard.

And yes, you can turn off Versions/Auto-Save:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/11/disab...s-in-mac-os-x/
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #9
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

Why are people so resistant to change
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:24 PM   #10
SanJacinto
macrumors regular

It is not "resistants to change" per se.

I think the Expose-Problem was solved with ML.
But for me there are some other issues.

First: SL is really really smooth. Uptimes 60+ days are normal without any issue.
Second: Front Row. I know most of you out there never used it but for me it's part of my entertainment life. Use it every weekend.

MBP connected with Mini-Display-HDMI cable to HDTV, popcorn ready and a good movie It's really easy. I know, AppleTV is a dream, but at the moment I don't need it.

99 ATV vs. 14 MDP-HDMI-Cable is a no-brainer (at the moment).
SanJacinto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion