Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
So I checked out the Apple US store (I live in the UK) and had no idea that the US prices are almost the same as the UK prices but in dollars instead of pounds...that works out as crazy cheaper!!

I've gone for a top end 27 with the 680, 3.4Ghz and 768Gb SSD and that clocks in at £3000 (roughly $4800!!). Whereas in the US that clocks in at $3649...

Seriously making me reconsider my choise $5000 dollars sounds mental...surely there has to be a better product for that level of cash...

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I know the feeling. In canada we have the same problem but nearly as bad as you guys. When the CAD was higher then the USD we were still paying more. :(
At least you get the warranty for free.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Also the US prices don't include sales tax (unless you are lucky enough to live in a state without it), whereas the UK do include VAT.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Sounds like it's Mummy and Daddy's money rather than dosh you've earned by yourself. :cool:

Any chance you might be reading economics when you complete your education? :rolleyes:

Actually I earned all that money myself, just never came across consumer economics in the US.

Last edited:

Nerdy Keith

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Same issue in Ireland with the euro. Seems that its not in apple's policy to convert the value of each currency, they just change the currency sign in front and leave the figure the way it is.

They NEED to review their prices big time. Windows is now upping the game so Apple HAVE TO lower their prices by 60% less than what they are.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I know the feeling. In canada we have the same problem but nearly as bad as you guys. When the CAD was higher then the USD we were still paying more. :(

You think maybe that "free" warranty Apple is forced by law to include might be part of the reason for the higher prices in the UK?

NOTHING is free.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
There is plenty more to international trade than just the exchange rates of the currencies. If you wanna understand more, you'll want to do some research into that topic.

snkrll

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Your assumption is that the final price is set by Apple. However there are things outside the companies control such as European customs/duty and then local sales tax.

European import duty: ~4%
UK sales tax: 20%

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
You think maybe that "free" warranty Apple is forced by law to include might be part of the reason for the higher prices in the UK?

NOTHING is free.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't products need to last 3 years or something along those lines. In most other places we have to spend 200 dollars on applecare.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

NOTHING is free.

Yes, I think if they were not forced to include it the price would be 200 USD less. The price is factored in.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Actually - Canadian prices are same as the US prices. Check the stores. Part of the problem we had was the Canadian dollar was bouncing up and down from one month to the next, while Apple tries to keep the prices stable. Apple rarely (if ever) changes its prices once they are set, until the next model is introduced. This means that the prices are set to take in account Apple's prediction for the exchange rate for the next 12 to 18 months.... sometimes they get it wrong.
So I checked out the Apple US store (I live in the UK) ...

This is a common complaint... several threads already. And the consensus tends to be that the UK prices include VAT and customs duty, and the US prices don't. Plus, US products come with just a 1 year warranty, while UK products come with an enhanced warranty (which can be worth several hundred dollars - plus the VAT).

Plus... Apple, like most other companies, price their goods based on what they think the market will bear. Wealthier markets pay more than less wealthy markets.... think about that for a moment, and then feel a big smug. We Canadians have been told that we are now only just as wealthy as our southern cousins. Which is a bit worrying, personally... :)

----------

"Boned" means something way different to me I think. :D

No ... I think you think the same thing. It just sounds cultured when you say it with a British accent. Imagine Sean Connery saying it, vs Bill Clinton.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Think, McFly, Think ... how do you think Apple got its $120 billion cash hoard? All these warm fuzzy feelings we feel towards Apple are a result of their marketing tactics, but inside they're finding new ways to do you in.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It's £2,500 before VAT, or $4,063.

The $3,649 US price does not include sales tax, which is probably around 8% (unless you're lucky enough to live in one of 2 states IIRC that doesn't charge sales tax). So that brings the price up to $3,940.

So while it is more expensive in the UK, in reality, it's $123 more, not $1,151. Blame the UK for the higher tax rate, but enjoy your universal healthcare and extensive public transportation ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Actually - Canadian prices are same as the US prices. Check the stores. Part of the problem we had was the Canadian dollar was bouncing up and down from one month to the next, while Apple tries to keep the prices stable. Apple rarely (if ever) changes its prices once they are set, until the next model is introduced. This means that the prices are set to take in account Apple's prediction for the exchange rate for the next 12 to 18 months.... sometimes they get it wrong.

Ah, so that’s why Apple charges $1.29 for a $1 app on the nz app store when the exchange rate has been around 20 to 23 percent for a long time now. Dammit.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but don't products need to last 3 years or something along those lines. In most other places we have to spend 200 dollars on applecare.

We get full warranty for a year then limited warranty for 2, hence most here still buy applecare.

We've also got some rules here that certain items over a certain cost have to provide a reasonable lifespan, which i think is 3 years here.

The other thing we get is the option to declare a lemon, so if something goes wrong and is fixed under warranty 3 times or more, you can declare a lemon. I bought a macbook pro in 2002, the 1.44 ghz 1 gb ram ppc, screen went wrong and repaired 3 times, so I declared it a lemon, then apple had to give me an up to date equivalent, so I got a 1.67ghz 2gb ram PPC model.

We've also got distance selling, and contract cool off

Distance selling - As long as you dont open it you can return it in seven days - applies to mail order.

Cool off - you can cancel any contract you sign up to within seven days free of charge.

Most people in the UK aren't aware of all this, apple tried their damndest to get out of it, I came across this with some monster headphones I bought from an apple store, they stopped working after 43 days, and the apple policy was not to accept returned non-apple stuff after 30 days and refused to refund them (they were the third pair I had, so it was clear they were just a rubbish model). I ended up having to take all the legal stuff off the government website into the shop to show them they were wrong, and was told they'd do it as a "one off".

They make great products, but as a company they're total w**kers

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Blame the UK for the higher tax rate, but enjoy your universal healthcare and extensive public transportation ;)

And remember this, OP. When Americans buy smartphones on two year contracts they still have to pay $200 for the phone and pay $50 a month just for a decent data plan which still won't be unlimited, and then pay even more for calls and texts, and then pay even more purely because they own a smartphone. I **** you not.

We on the other hand get most smartphones for free and can get unlimited data along with thousands of calls and texts for a mere £25 a month :p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
And remember this, OP. When Americans buy smartphones on two year contracts they still have to pay $200 for the phone and pay $50 a month just for a decent data plan which still won't be unlimited, and then pay even more for calls and texts, and then pay even more purely because they own a smartphone. I **** you not.

We on the other hand get most smartphones for free and can get unlimited data along with thousands of calls and texts for a mere £25 a month :p

Not 100% accurate, AFAIK, no data plan on any of the major carriers exceeds $30, and other than the data plan, there's no additional required charge just for having a smart phone. But the monthly charge is still higher than the UK.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Not 100% accurate, AFAIK, no data plan on any of the major carriers exceeds $30, and other than the data plan, there's no additional required charge just for having a smart phone. But the monthly charge is still higher than the UK.

AFAIK, on Verizon you have to buy a more expensive plan just for using a smartphone and their data plans actually seem to start at $60 for 2GB :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.