Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple's Pandora-like iRadio Service to Launch in 2013?




BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield is predicting that Apple will debut its long-rumored Pandora-like iRadio service to complement iTunes at some point in 2013. Previously, there were reports that Apple and the major music labels weren't close in negotiations, but Greenfield says they're still negotiating on song catalogs.
Quote:
"Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs. We expect iRadio to be incorporated into the iTunes iOS app with personalized radio functionality akin to Pandora, integrated with iTunes to purchase music and other music related content such as concert information/tickets/merchandise via*Live Nation*(LYV) and Ticketmaster."
Back in October, Bloomberg reported that Apple and music labels had re-entered intense negotiations and iRadio was set to debut in early 2013. CNET then reported in December that the sides were far apart because Apple's terms left the labels "cold."

Apple SVP of Internet Services and Software Eddy Cue is considered Apple's "master negotiator" for content deals, so any potential negotiations with music labels would likely go through him. Greenfield also predicts that Apple's long-rumored Apple TV won't debut in 2013 because of content restrictions.

Article Link: Apple's Pandora-like iRadio Service to Launch in 2013?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Excited for this!
iPhoneApple is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 PM   #3
netvvork
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
oh lord

they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
netvvork is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
skysailing
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...
skysailing is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
rmhop81
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by netvvork View Post
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
Punch babies? Man you're mature
__________________
MBA|11.6"|128GB iPad rMini|32GB|LTE iPhone 6 Plus|64GB Apple TV Time Capsule
rmhop81 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...
Well. What's the point in Pandora ? It appears to be a popular program.

Apple wants to do the same thing using its huge music ecosystem .

I can see it happening. The elusive AppleTV seems destined for PowerBook G5 status.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Well. What's the point in Pandora ? It appears to be a popular program.
word on the street is that these services just bleed money.

Quote:
Apple wants to do the same thing using its huge music ecosystem .
Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.

Quote:
I can see it happening. The elusive AppleTV seems destined for PowerBook G5 status.
Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvvork View Post
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
You might want to consider upping your medication if Apple is causing you to maim infants.
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:38 PM   #9
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Could be good, but it could also go the way of Ping....
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:38 PM   #10
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own.
Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Of course that quote doesn't appear to be based on any cited evidence. Sounds to me like his personal perspective and based on this, Apple must be doing something similar.

I remember people saying that about Apple must create a netbook because they were insanely popular and that consumers were moving away from buying expensive stuff especially expensive apple stuff (I'm paraphrasing here obviously)
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #12
thedeejay
macrumors 65816
 
thedeejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------



Punch babies? Man you're mature
I could've sworn iTunes Match let us stream the music we "owned"/were in our library? So this could turn out to be interesting
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB Silver;
iPad Air 2 16GB Space Gray
13" MacBook Pro Retina, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Iris Graphics;
thedeejay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #13
rmhop81
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.
What's the difference from pandora then? What music service provides streaming of your own content?
__________________
MBA|11.6"|128GB iPad rMini|32GB|LTE iPhone 6 Plus|64GB Apple TV Time Capsule
rmhop81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #14
coldmack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear[COLOR="#808080"]
So, wouldn't that make it more like Google music then?
__________________
2x G4 Mac Mini, 12in Powerbook, G4 Cube w/ Geforce MX2, and Power Mac dual G5. x86 and Wind'ohs free & most proud of it.
coldmack is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.



word on the street is that these services just bleed money.



Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.



Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.
I was referring to the Apple television.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 PM   #16
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
I could've sworn iTunes Match let us stream the music we "owned"/were in our library? So this could turn out to be interesting
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #17
seecoolguy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvvork View Post
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
yup yup, I have itunes match but so often it seems to just go bonkers, I am running with an iPhone4 and maybe that is the problem, but then they should have yanked that feature from my phone if it was going to be crappy like this. That and that podcast app which sucks b*77s.

I recently setup google's music manager and now that it's done uploading all my music I can see that it's a nicer (more reliable for now) player. I ended up using the gMusic app and it all works nicely (there is a instant mix issue that the developer said he is waiting on apple to approve but after that it should be back to nice playback).
seecoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #18
rmhop81
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
So, wouldn't that make it more like Google music then?
http://techland.time.com/2012/12/19/...mes-stateside/

Read first sentence, sums up google music
__________________
MBA|11.6"|128GB iPad rMini|32GB|LTE iPhone 6 Plus|64GB Apple TV Time Capsule
rmhop81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:49 PM   #19
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I was referring to the Apple television.
You mean the actual Television that Pundants say will defiantly exist next WWDC? Oh.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:50 PM   #20
adversus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via ICQ to adversus Send a message via AIM to adversus Send a message via MSN to adversus Send a message via Yahoo to adversus Send a message via Skype™ to adversus
I have to admit, I have fired up iTunes (on devices or desktop) maybe twice in the last year and a half. I've been using Spotify almost exclusively, and have saved so much money paying only $9 a month instead of $50-60 a month on buying albums.

If I can't make play lists and listen to songs I want to listen to without having just general radio stations... not interested.
__________________
I own stuff.
adversus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
You mean the actual Television that Pundants say will defiantly exist next WWDC? Oh.
Yes. The same one mentioned in this topic.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:52 PM   #22
coldmack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
http://techland.time.com/2012/12/19/...mes-stateside/

Read first sentence, sums up google music
I don't get your point? I already knew not a lot people aren't using it. So?
__________________
2x G4 Mac Mini, 12in Powerbook, G4 Cube w/ Geforce MX2, and Power Mac dual G5. x86 and Wind'ohs free & most proud of it.
coldmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:54 PM   #23
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
What's the difference from pandora then?
Short answer: there isn't, other than it'd be .

As naysayers oft point out, Apple does plenty of things that others do well, and does it after they're established. Just the fact that you'd have "Pandora" integrated into iOS alongside Music and Podcasts and Videos and iTunes Store apps would siphon off a whole lotta users from Pandora etc.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Ichabod.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Short answer: there isn't, other than it'd be .

As naysayers oft point out, Apple does plenty of things that others do well, and does it after they're established. Just the fact that you'd have "Pandora" integrated into iOS alongside Music and Podcasts and Videos and iTunes Store apps would siphon off a whole lotta users from Pandora etc.
With Apple's huge source of iTunes-purchase information, it should be able to predict the songs you will like quite well to boot.
Ichabod. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:00 PM   #25
sshambles
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
To be honest, I would only use this to preview albums, but it wouldn't change me from buying them. Not a big deal for me.

If they did this with their television and films on Apple TV, then I'd be interested.
__________________
iPhone 6+, 4 iPods, iPad 3, TV, 27"iMac, iPod HiFi
sshambles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Continues to Prep for iRadio Launch Next Week, Signs Sony Publishing MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 19 Jun 9, 2013 06:46 AM
Intel to Launch Cable TV Service and Set Top Box at CES 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Apr 10, 2013 09:26 AM
Music Executive: 'iRadio is Coming', Apple Pushing for Summer Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 142 Apr 5, 2013 01:55 PM
Do you think Apple will allow streaming with their rumored "iRadio" service? Cody21 iPhone 16 Apr 1, 2013 03:32 PM
Apple Targeting First Quarter 2013 Launch for Online Music Service MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 64 Oct 29, 2012 02:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC