Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_radio_round_icon.jpg
BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield is predicting that Apple will debut its long-rumored Pandora-like iRadio service to complement iTunes at some point in 2013. Previously, there were reports that Apple and the major music labels weren't close in negotiations, but Greenfield says they're still negotiating on song catalogs.
"Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs. We expect iRadio to be incorporated into the iTunes iOS app with personalized radio functionality akin to Pandora, integrated with iTunes to purchase music and other music related content such as concert information/tickets/merchandise via Live Nation (LYV) and Ticketmaster."
Back in October, Bloomberg reported that Apple and music labels had re-entered intense negotiations and iRadio was set to debut in early 2013. CNET then reported in December that the sides were far apart because Apple's terms left the labels "cold."

Apple SVP of Internet Services and Software Eddy Cue is considered Apple's "master negotiator" for content deals, so any potential negotiations with music labels would likely go through him. Greenfield also predicts that Apple's long-rumored Apple TV won't debut in 2013 because of content restrictions.

Article Link: Apple's Pandora-like iRadio Service to Launch in 2013?

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
oh lord

they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...

Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

Punch babies? Man you're mature

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.

Well. What's the point in Pandora ? It appears to be a popular program.
word on the street is that these services just bleed money.

Apple wants to do the same thing using its huge music ecosystem .

Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.

I can see it happening. The elusive AppleTV seems destined for PowerBook G5 status.

Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You might want to consider upping your medication if Apple is causing you to maim infants. :)

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own.

Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Of course that quote doesn't appear to be based on any cited evidence. Sounds to me like his personal perspective and based on this, Apple must be doing something similar.

I remember people saying that about Apple must create a netbook because they were insanely popular and that consumers were moving away from buying expensive stuff especially expensive apple stuff (I'm paraphrasing here obviously)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

Punch babies? Man you're mature
I could've sworn iTunes Match let us stream the music we "owned"/were in our library? So this could turn out to be interesting

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.

What's the difference from pandora then? What music service provides streaming of your own content?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.

word on the street is that these services just bleed money.

Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.

Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.

I was referring to the Apple television.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007

yup yup, I have itunes match but so often it seems to just go bonkers, I am running with an iPhone4 and maybe that is the problem, but then they should have yanked that feature from my phone if it was going to be crappy like this. That and that podcast app which sucks b*77s.

I recently setup google's music manager and now that it's done uploading all my music I can see that it's a nicer (more reliable for now) player. I ended up using the gMusic app and it all works nicely (there is a instant mix issue that the developer said he is waiting on apple to approve but after that it should be back to nice playback).

adversus

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Portland, OR
I have to admit, I have fired up iTunes (on devices or desktop) maybe twice in the last year and a half. I've been using Spotify almost exclusively, and have saved so much money paying only $9 a month instead of $50-60 a month on buying albums.

If I can't make play lists and listen to songs I want to listen to without having just general radio stations... not interested.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
What's the difference from pandora then?

Short answer: there isn't, other than it'd be :apple:.

As naysayers oft point out, Apple does plenty of things that others do well, and does it after they're established. Just the fact that you'd have "Pandora" integrated into iOS alongside Music and Podcasts and Videos and iTunes Store apps would siphon off a whole lotta users from Pandora etc.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Short answer: there isn't, other than it'd be :apple:.

As naysayers oft point out, Apple does plenty of things that others do well, and does it after they're established. Just the fact that you'd have "Pandora" integrated into iOS alongside Music and Podcasts and Videos and iTunes Store apps would siphon off a whole lotta users from Pandora etc.

With Apple's huge source of iTunes-purchase information, it should be able to predict the songs you will like quite well to boot.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
To be honest, I would only use this to preview albums, but it wouldn't change me from buying them. Not a big deal for me.

If they did this with their television and films on Apple TV, then I'd be interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.