Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
We bought a iP5 for my kid at university - it did come with the removal tool, but it wasn't obvious in the packaging. I suspect some might not see it and inadvertently throw it away.

Where in the box is it? I tore it apart and didn't find one. I even went back to radio shack and they confirmed they don't include it anymore.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
If it was of no relevance to you, then why write such a long response? I'll bold your original comment where I feel you have a superiority complex:

You asked, I answered. Not sure I need to explain further unless you didn't understand the lengthy reply?

Superiority complexes only exist to a threatened mindset. Otherwise, you'd realize one poster=one opinion. Sorry if you feel slighted, but that's your problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You asked, I answered. Not sure I need to explain further unless you didn't understand the lengthy reply?

Superiority complexes only exist to a threatened mindset. Otherwise, you'd realize one poster=one opinion. Sorry if you feel slighted, but that's your problem.

He was probably just annoyed that you found the super amoled screen that's notorious for being over saturated to be the opposite and looked washed out.

On that subject I agree with him. I find it difficult to go back to my iPhone after using a super amoled because it looks washed out. I'm not negating the fact an idevice may be more accurate in reproducing colors but it just doesn't pop like super amoled. I find even my iPad looks slightly washed out compared to my nexus 10 which is an LCD.

In the end its user preference, and all devices have their pros and cons and I'm willing to over look certain things because IMO no one makes the absolute perfect device for me.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Well yeah, I don't expect you to care. Those with superiority complexes don't. It's my problem that you act superior? First time I heard that.

Anyways, I don't really care if you do it on one of the other forums, but I dislike it when it's done on this Alternatives forum. Of course, I don't expect you to stop.

----------

He was probably just annoyed that you found the super amoled screen that's notorious for being over saturated to be the opposite and looked washed out.

That's part of it.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Well yeah, I don't expect you to care. Those with superiority complexes don't. It's my problem that you act superior? First time I heard that.

Anyways, I don't really care if you do it on one of the other forums, but I dislike it when it's done on this Alternatives forum. Of course, I don't expect you to stop.

----------

That's part of it.

When I see his posts in this sub forum I feel as if I can suddenly predict the future... Oh ReallyBigFeet lets see! There could be a post about how socially and intellectually superior iOS users are using some study or how Samsung's Tech is atrocious, bad and inferior to Apple's tech or how Apple is just plain better don'cha know. In the end I just put him on the ignore list... and nothing of value was lost.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
When I see his posts in this sub forum I feel as if I can suddenly predict the future... Oh ReallyBigFeet lets see! There could be a post about how socially and intellectually superior iOS users are using some study or how Samsung's Tech is atrocious, bad and inferior to Apple's tech or how Apple is just plain better don'cha know. In the end I just put him on the ignore list... and nothing of value was lost.

Lol, I thought I was the only one. It's ok though, now that I have an iPhone again my IQ went up 10 points and I'm clearly superior to you "alternative" denizens.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
It's in the 'Hello' booklet.

content

UK.

Aug 26, 2008
I travel weekly and personally have yet to have Apple Maps screw me over. But you can always download Google Maps now if you'd like.

I'm just so spoiled by Retina. My G3, Nexus 4 and Note 2 just look so washed out by comparison.

You sure you have a Nexus 4? My Nexus 4 makes my iPhone 5 look like a silly toy, and that includes the screen.

Also, your saying that the Note II looks "washed out" makes me think you don't know what the term even means. You can think it looks "bad" but "washed out" is objectively false.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I travel weekly and personally have yet to have Apple Maps screw me over. But you can always download Google Maps now if you'd like.

I'm just so spoiled by Retina. My G3, Nexus 4 and Note 2 just look so washed out by comparison.

Apple maps is a huge piece of crap, but I love how it integrates into the OS and into the lock screen, google maps may have better navigation, but its a poor app compared to apples. Once apple maps navigated me to a dead end and actually proceeded to tell me to get out and walk across a field with a stream to reach my destination. Just today I asked it to guide me to the nearest babies r us, and it led me to the toys r us corporate center, the security guard at the gate was pretty amused.

As for the screens, not sure which you are looking at. They are both nice screens, the iPhone is very accurate but a bit cold, the g3 and note 2 are also nice and over saturated which I don't mind in the least, but washed out, not at all. Honestly I don't see either as better, just a little different. I think websites look nicer on the iPhone in terms of color (not screen size) and games look better on samsung screens.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple maps is a huge piece of crap, but I love how it integrates into the OS and into the lock screen, google maps may have better navigation, but its a poor app compared to apples. Once apple maps navigated me to a dead end and actually proceeded to tell me to get out and walk across a field with a stream to reach my destination. Just today I asked it to guide me to the nearest babies r us, and it led me to the toys r us corporate center, the security guard at the gate was pretty amused.

As for the screens, not sure which you are looking at. They are both nice screens, the iPhone is very accurate but a bit cold, the g3 and note 2 are also nice and over saturated which I don't mind in the least, but washed out, not at all. Honestly I don't see either as better, just a little different. I think websites look nicer on the iPhone in terms of color (not screen size) and games look better on samsung screens.

Yeah, the google maps app on android is much better than the iphone version of google maps simply because of the integration and the fact that it has so many more features than the ios counterpart. Android itself allows apps to integrate themselves much better than in iOS. IOS needs to seriously work on getting equivelents to the android sharing api (intents), notifications, custom keyboards, launchers, and many other things. The sharing is the most important one. The ability to select the default app for an action is very important as well.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I love that I can star a location through the Google Maps website, and it'll be starred on my phone too when I hit the road.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, the google maps app on android is much better than the iphone version of google maps simply because of the integration and the fact that it has so many more features than the ios counterpart. Android itself allows apps to integrate themselves much better than in iOS. IOS needs to seriously work on getting equivelents to the android sharing api (intents), notifications, custom keyboards, launchers, and many other things. The sharing is the most important one. The ability to select the default app for an action is very important as well.

Does navigation on google maps on android continue in the lockscreen? This is one of the features I love about apples navigation, helps a ton with battery life.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Honestly as a Nexus 4 owner, I suddenly feel superior to the rest of you iOS toting chumps! LOL j/k of course. The idea that a mobile OS would somehow determine your IQ is downright ridiculous. However with the complexity of Android, and the overly simplistic ease of use of iOS, one could argue that it's quite the opposite. :p

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Where in the box is it? I tore it apart and didn't find one. I even went back to radio shack and they confirmed they don't include it anymore.

Inside the box was a miniature 'getting started' pamphlet (about 3 inches by 2 inches) enclosed in a white envelope of the same size. The tool was taped to the backside of the envelope (if one considers the front as the side that you would look at when opening the envelope). Also, I seem to recall that there was a little flap of paper from the envelope partially obscuring the tool. Please note that the iP5 was not unlocked. Hope this helps!

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011

When I first got my S3 I thought that the screen did look very over saturated but when I changed the display to natural this solved the problem. If I'm honest I would have to admit that the iphone screen does look slightly better, however for me having the bigger screen is more important.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I love that I can star a location through the Google Maps website, and it'll be starred on my phone too when I hit the road.

Thank you for sharing this tip. I never paid any attention to starring places in the past but this is a great help and I am going to start using it.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Am I the only one who thinks Apple are taking the easy option by putting a half-decent resolution on a tiny screen so they can beast about high PPI levels?

A 1136x640 screen on a high-end android device would be laughed at...

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
hehe, so you did have one :p?

Wait... I gotta... go... dig... for that little black box...

Nope. Nothing in there. There's a little book. Two little Apple stickers. A slip of paper. Some rather awful headphones I ignored once already and ignored again today. That's it. Of course the lightning cable and 5 watt brick were taken out on day 1. At least the little book was a nice little book printed in full color. I think I don't mind finding my own paper clip when the time comes to pop out my SIM card.

I also checked two iPhone 4 boxes I had lying around and there was no paper clip in those either. I guess here in the US, Apple assumes we aren't going to go popping out our SIM cards and moving them around because (almost) none of our iPhones are unlocked. When I gave an iPhone 4 to one kid to replace their 3GS, it turns out their old sim card wouldn't fit the 4 and my old SIM card was declared DOA because I'd activated an iPhone 5. I couldn't even transfer a sim card from one 3GS to another because as soon as you activate a new phone At&t marks the old SIM card dead. So I had to burn my gas to drive to an At&t store so they could hand me something I already had: A sim card so one kid could use the other kid's hand me down 3GS. What nonsense. It goes a long way to explain why Apple might not assume we'll be doing a lot of SIM swapping. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Wait... I gotta... go... dig... for that little black box...

Nope. Nothing in there. There's a little book. Two little Apple stickers. A slip of paper. Some rather awful headphones I ignored once already and ignored again today. That's it. Of course the lightning cable and 5 watt brick were taken out on day 1. At least the little book was a nice little book printed in full color. I think I don't mind finding my own paper clip when the time comes to pop out my SIM card.

I also checked two iPhone 4 boxes I had lying around and there was no paper clip in those either. I guess here in the US, Apple assumes we aren't going to go popping out our SIM cards and moving them around because (almost) none of our iPhones are unlocked. When I gave an iPhone 4 to one kid to replace their 3GS, it turns out their old sim card wouldn't fit the 4 and my old SIM card was declared DOA because I'd activated an iPhone 5. I couldn't even transfer a sim card from one 3GS to another because as soon as you activate a new phone At&t marks the old SIM card dead. So I had to burn my gas to drive to an At&t store so they could hand me something I already had: A sim card so one kid could use the other kid's hand me down 3GS. What nonsense. It goes a long way to explain why Apple might not assume we'll be doing a lot of SIM swapping. :rolleyes:

Still why couldn't they even provide one... :S The tool is the first liquid metal Apple product! :p

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Still why couldn't they even provide one... :S The tool is the first liquid metal Apple product! :p

I just checked and I got one with my iPad mini! If you get one, you have to lift the little book and open the cover. Then the clip is there before you take the book out of its sleeve. Liquid metal? The one that came with my iPad mini feels like an ordinary paper clip (as shown in the illustration, and in the photo from my shared photostream)...
insert_sim.png

IMG_0003.JPG

And it's definitely not cast like the one pictured below...
6359518-620x409.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.