Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
redefined12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Computer Crashed

I am running a 2009 macbook pro. I installed os x mountain lion on it a few months ago. Last week it crashed and now will only but to the recovery 10.8 drive. While there I am taken to the OS X Utilities menu. I have been trying to reinstall mountain lion via the Reinstall OS X option but I keep getting an error saying "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I do not have the original disc that came with the computer. How can I fix this?
redefined12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Drew017
macrumors 65816
 
Drew017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Right beside you
Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by redefined12 View Post
I am running a 2009 macbook pro. I installed os x mountain lion on it a few months ago. Last week it crashed and now will only but to the recovery 10.8 drive. While there I am taken to the OS X Utilities menu. I have been trying to reinstall mountain lion via the Reinstall OS X option but I keep getting an error saying "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I do not have the original disc that came with the computer. How can I fix this?
try using disk utility to erase and reformat the disk to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" then try again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4439?v...S&locale=en_US
__________________
Who'll put on my shoes while they're walking slowly down the hall of fame?
MacBook Air 13 inch (Mid 2013); Intel Core i5; 4GB RAM; OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post
try using disk utility to erase and reformat the disk to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" then try again.
DON'T do this ^ unless you either don't care about your data, or already have it backed up.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Drew017
macrumors 65816
 
Drew017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Right beside you
Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
DON'T do this ^ unless you either don't care about your data, or already have it backed up.
Yeah my bad I don't need to assume the OP has a backup. OP you can make a new partition when you are in the recovery and try to install OS X on it... Then maybe copy your data over...
__________________
Who'll put on my shoes while they're walking slowly down the hall of fame?
MacBook Air 13 inch (Mid 2013); Intel Core i5; 4GB RAM; OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC