Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
The only good downvoting did was inflame others into an online ego war. It's better that people actually take the time to [civilly] address a comment than to passive-aggressively down-vote it. It also bullied people whose comments may be correct but others simply wanted to annoy that user, which happened quite often. I prefer the helpful comments being brought to the forefront of the threads through the new system, it allows me to view the top 5 or so without sifting through hundreds of posts.

I posted my past prior post without reading your response here. I can understand those concerns, but I submit that the down vote system could have been fixed with a few protocols..

Let down voting be "earned" via a formula of number of helpful posts, level of participation, and/or other factors. Also, your old system allowed competing up and down votes to cancel out each other. It would have been better with a system that showed the total number of up AND down votes.

Anyone abusing the down vote could have the privilege revoked. People don't always have time to civilly offer detailed comments in rebuttal. Sometimes the comments are so absurd they don't rate a detailed explanation, the down vote stands on its own.

I think there's something to be said for having a preponderance of reader opinion. The current "up only" option is less than ideal.

Peace

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Sure hope it's better than the Taurus faex that is on there now. If that's Ape Sand is sure scratches like playdoh.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Gorilla!

photo-4_zpsbc1299cd.jpg
:)

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
The only good downvoting did was inflame others into an online ego war. It's better that people actually take the time to [civilly] address a comment than to passive-aggressively down-vote it. It also bullied people whose comments may be correct but others simply wanted to annoy that user, which happened quite often. I prefer the helpful comments being brought to the forefront of the threads through the new system, it allows me to view the top 5 or so without sifting through hundreds of posts.

Wow, you are all kinds of wrong here. You are the one being passive aggressive about it. Those of us who are straight up aggressive about things get put in "time out" or banned by childish demi-god moderators. We can't even have a friendly debate without an effing warning from a mod with nothing better to do than to whine and moan about someone who has differing beliefs or opinions. GET REAL.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
The problem isn't the glass scratching, it's the coating(s). The oleophobic coating has micro scratches within 30 seconds of touching it. Hold it up to a bright light at an angle if you don't think yours has any marks on it. You'll be disappointed you did. :cool:

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm holding out for Scotty's transparent aluminum to finally be invented.

You don't have to wait! It's been done!

Admittedly it's kinda cloudy, but, you know, baby steps.

----------

The problem isn't the glass scratching, it's the coating(s). The oleophobic coating has micro scratches within 30 seconds of touching it. Hold it up to a bright light at an angle if you don't think yours has any marks on it. You'll be disappointed you did. :cool:

Actually, mine's pretty scratch free. What's weird is when I look at my iPad out in direct sunlight, I have these two big dark strips running down the screen vertically.

...and I'm not totally sure what they are.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wow, you are all kinds of wrong here. You are the one being passive aggressive about it. Those of us who are straight up aggressive about things get put in "time out" or banned by childish demi-god moderators. We can't even have a friendly debate without an effing warning from a mod with nothing better to do than to whine and moan about someone who has differing beliefs or opinions. GET REAL.

I'm sorry you feel this way, however you are reading a lot of emotion into my objective comment. It seems you have been at the wrong end of some forum regulation, I apologize. Yet I do not believe my comment was passive aggressive; I did not passively nor aggressively accuse or insult any one. In fact, I suggest rereading your comment as you personally came after me for unfounded claims. "Effing", "GET REAL", "whine", "moan", etc, seems to be a bit of the pot calling the kettle "taupe".

Thanks for your feedback.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't care what kind of Gorilla Glass it is.

No screen protector = scratches within a few days.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You don't have to wait! It's been done!

Admittedly it's kinda cloudy, but, you know, baby steps.

----------

Actually, mine's pretty scratch free. What's weird is when I look at my iPad out in direct sunlight, I have these two big dark strips running down the screen vertically.

Likely the UV curable adhesive holding the digitizer to the LCD. If you have a UV lamp / backlight, the adhesive (if fully cured) should fluoresce with a pale green-blue glow. The methacryliate is "optically clear", but can be spotted in high intensity light as a "dark area" (thanks to index matching), and the photo indicators visible with UV.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Doesn't the 18 month doubling rule apply to Gorilla Glass technology? Seriously by Gorilla Glass 5 or 6 it should be as hard or harder than diamond!

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Neither my 4s nor my 5 have had any screen scratches. None. No screen cover. Looks like the day I bought it. People who get screen covers for the 5 are silly, and (with most screen protectors) ruining their experience. Get a case, but not a screen protector

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Isn't, at least since the iPhone 5, the back the more endangered side? I mean the front was nearly perfect before, but any improvement is welcome of course.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
But aren't most of the visible fine scratches actually in the coatings on top of the screen?

Renzatic

Suspended
No screen protector = scratches within a few days.

Nah, that's not true at all. I don't use screen protectors on any of my devices, and I don't have scratches on any of them. Not on my old Blackberry, not on my iPhone, and not on my iPad.

They're great for peace of mind, but I don't think they're totally necessary. All it takes is the smallest amount of care to keep everything scratch free.

...and now that I've said this, I'm probably gonna scratch one of my screens somehow.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands

Have you got a smart cover? I get lighter lines down the screen where the folds sit on mine so it looks like there are dark patches down the middle where the two center panels of the cover sit... give your screen a good clean and they should go away for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.