Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:12 PM   #101
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
IMO those suggesting gun ownership is necessary against the possibility of government tyranny is guilty of treason and should be shot with their own weapons.
Attractive though the idea might be, wouldn't that be the ultimate expression of tyrannical government?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:51 PM   #102
Renzatic
macrumors 604

And would in turn completely justify the second amendment.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:06 PM   #103
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This is literally one god damned stupid thread and in monumentally poor taste given recent events.
Good taste rarely stops a thread or post in PRSI.

I frankly wouldn't enjoy it here as much if it did.

Quote:
IMO those suggesting gun ownership is necessary against the possibility of government tyranny is guilty of treason and should be shot with their own weapons.
As misguided as those people may be, I certainly would not agree to your suggestion. It's a commonly held belief in a nation that embraces force and violence ... along the lines of another commonly held foolish belief: We owe our freedom to all the wars we've fought.

While it's a pretty twisted mindset, the best solution doesn't involve even more shooting. There's enough of that going around as it is.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:40 PM   #104
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
The tactical nukes would be be positioned to attract impulse buyers, then? I like your thinking
Yep, at the checkout and the ends of the aisles.

There would also be specially marked "Tactical Nuke-free" checkouts for parents to go through with kids so they don't get bugged to buy a nuke for the trip home in the car.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:49 PM   #105
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Yep, at the checkout and the ends of the aisles.

There would also be specially marked "Tactical Nuke-free" checkouts for parents to go through with kids so they don't get bugged to buy a nuke for the trip home in the car.
I buy MIRVs at CostCo. It's cheaper than tactical nukes and fun to figure out which ones are the decoys and which ones are real. Sometimes though you get a batch of conventional warheads and then you end up with piles of tungsten rods all over the house.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:07 AM   #106
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
I buy MIRVs at CostCo. It's cheaper than tactical nukes and fun to figure out which ones are the decoys and which ones are real. Sometimes though you get a batch of conventional warheads and then you end up with piles of tungsten rods all over the house.
Got any swaps?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:31 AM   #107
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
You avoid places that you feel you would need a gun to be safe, but yet you have a gun in your house in order to feel safe? I am not understanding this logic.

I could just as easily extend that thinking out to anyone feeling the need for a gun in any room of the house. And that they too should start looking for a nicer neighborhood. I am not sure why needing a gun with you in the bathroom is bad, but needing it in the bedroom or wherever you store it is good. Can't a home invasion happen just as easily while you are in the shower as opposed to sitting on the couch?

Another thing I thought of along the babysitter lines I had yesterday are family visits. Lots of parents let their kids go stay with Grandma or have Grandma come over and watch the kids. So, unless she is a rifle toting granny, I guess that's all out, right? More examples of how this fear based logic doesn't give people more freedom, it gives them less.
I can avoid going places I feel I would need a carry a firearm on me in person to feel safe. I can't avoid if someone decides to come into my house. I would advise any homeowner to take all reasonable precaution to avoid it ever coming to that. Theft deterrence is a very real thing and a responsible homeowner will consider all of that. But if someone comes into my house despite that, I will make every effort to not escalate the situation to one of force, but not at the expense of wellbeing of myself or those in my presence. This is why gun laws exist. I don't know how I could explain it any better. If you do not understand that logic, than perhaps I just stink at logic explanation.

If someone wants to keep a gun in every room of their house, they have that right to do so. To me, that sounds rather excessive and rather expensive, but what do I know? And there are many grannys who are packing... Someone who is older, possibly frail, and may live alone is arguably more vulnerable to criminals. Legal firearm ownership can offset that. You could have granny, the only person protecting your young kids with a phone screaming "I've got police coming!" or with a .357 Magnum screaming "get the **** out or I shoot!". Which do you think is going to deter someone?
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:16 PM   #108
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
You could have granny, the only person protecting your young kids with a phone screaming "I've got police coming!" or with a .357 Magnum screaming "get the **** out or I shoot!". Which do you think is going to deter someone?
Depends on how good a shot granny is, I suppose.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:35 PM   #109
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
You could have granny, the only person protecting your young kids with a phone screaming "I've got police coming!" or with a .357 Magnum screaming "get the **** out or I shoot!". Which do you think is going to deter someone?
I wouldn't want said granny looking after any child with a gun in the house.

I also prefer living in a society where both burglars and homeowners do not typically have guns.
Mord is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:46 PM   #110
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
...You could have granny, the only person protecting your young kids with a phone screaming "I've got police coming!" or with a .357 Magnum screaming "get the **** out or I shoot!". Which do you think is going to deter someone?
Is Granny with a Magnum the sequel to Hobo with a Shotgun?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:49 PM   #111
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you're the one intruding on granny and the kids, are you going to hang around to see if granny is a good shot or not?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #112
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
If you're the one intruding on granny and the kids, are you going to hang around to see if granny is a good shot or not?
So, the answer is to give everyone fake guns that look real!!

Frankly, I'd rather my granny let my dogs after them than have her waving a gun around my children. But, hey, maybe I'm old fashioned.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #113
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

I like the spin-off, Babysitter with a hand-held tactical nuclear weapon. Higher body count.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:08 PM   #114
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Someone who is older, possibly frail, and may live alone is arguably more vulnerable to criminals. Legal firearm ownership can offset that. You could have granny, the only person protecting your young kids with a phone screaming "I've got police coming!" or with a .357 Magnum screaming "get the **** out or I shoot!". Which do you think is going to deter someone?
My granny turned 90 last year and has heart issues and a bit of trouble getting around. A gun in the nightstand, for example, would do no good if she's in the living room or bathroom. I'd feel better if she had a canister or two of pepper spray stashed in each room, so she can get to it easily. (I heard this from a female friend - she said some safety training she did recommended pepper spray in each room. In the living room, in the bathroom next to the shower, in the bedroom on the night stand, next to the front door, etc., so that a bit of self-defense is always readily available. Much cheaper than purchasing a dozen handguns, I guess, and less likely to accidentally kill anybody.)

On the other hand, if my granny had spent a significant portion of her life as a member of a well-regulated militia, with drills and training, had an up-to-date shooting qualification, and constantly carried while home I suppose she could be effective against an intruder...?
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:22 PM   #115
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Agreed. I mean, it is personal preference. And of course not all granny's (or people of any age) should own a firearm so it varies person-to-person. When someone develops some of the memory impairment(s) that accompanies older age, IMO it is responsible to discuss with the person what to do about firearms as well as a driver's license before they reach a point in which either presents an accelerated hazard and they are incapable of understanding what is going on leading to either 1) the family/friend circle having to confiscate it, or 2) the family/friend circle doing nothing which can harm everyone. Much how there are responsibilities with driving, there are with firearms as well and I think the above is a big part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
I wouldn't want said granny looking after any child with a gun in the house.

I also prefer living in a society where both burglars and homeowners do not typically have guns.
And you are completely entitled to that preference as I am entitled to mine. I'd like a society where burglars don't have guns either. I believe in a society where law-abiding homeowners can own firearms. Our views are just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Is Granny with a Magnum the sequel to Hobo with a Shotgun?
Technically, I think most older persons own shotguns due to more controllability and many who grew up on farms used them fare more than other types of firearms. My grandmother owned a 16 gauge prior to her becoming incapable of safely owning/operating a firearm due to alzheimer's (and my God that is a horrible thing to see/experience).

Quote:
That's how I feel personally. At least to me, a firearm is more intimidating than a telephone and if someone decides to stick around, it does more than just call for help.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
My granny turned 90 last year and has heart issues and a bit of trouble getting around. A gun in the nightstand, for example, would do no good if she's in the living room or bathroom. I'd feel better if she had a canister or two of pepper spray stashed in each room, so she can get to it easily. (I heard this from a female friend - she said some safety training she did recommended pepper spray in each room. In the living room, in the bathroom next to the shower, in the bedroom on the night stand, next to the front door, etc., so that a bit of self-defense is always readily available. Much cheaper than purchasing a dozen handguns, I guess, and less likely to accidentally kill anybody.)

On the other hand, if my granny had spent a significant portion of her life as a member of a well-regulated militia, with drills and training, had an up-to-date shooting qualification, and constantly carried while home I suppose she could be effective against an intruder...?
This is another consideration for older persons. OC pepper spray is always a good choice as is the civilian version of the X26 taser. I've been on the receiving end of both to understand how they work. Mobility is another issue. I really haven't considered that much in this specific thread (I'm disabled myself) but I wanted to acknowledge you made a really good point.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:21 PM   #116
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I can avoid going places I feel I would need a carry a firearm on me in person to feel safe. I can't avoid if someone decides to come into my house.
I understand that, I just don't understand why you don't feel safe in those other areas, but do feel safe in your home. Isn't the gun the great equalizer here?

Quote:
If someone wants to keep a gun in every room of their house, they have that right to do so.
But that doesn't answer my question at all. I assume that a large part of the reason people own guns is the notion that they need to protect themselves at all times. Yet they are in fact NOT protected at all times unless, as you say, they have a gun in every room of the house. And every adult that is left in that house knows about and potentially can use the guns in your absence. I doubt most gun owners have really thought those issues through all the way.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:24 PM   #117
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Agreed. I mean, it is personal preference. And of course not all granny's (or people of any age) should own a firearm so it varies person-to-person.
That was an attempt at wry humour on my part, actually...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:33 PM   #118
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
... Yet they are in fact NOT protected at all times unless, as you say, they have a gun in every room of the house. And every adult that is left in that house knows about and potentially can use the guns in your absence...
When I am carrying concealed, I am armed if I am dressed. There are not multiple guns "stashed" in every room... the gun travels with me from room to room.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:34 PM   #119
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
When I am carrying concealed, I am armed if I am dressed. There are not multiple guns "stashed" in every room... the gun travels with me from room to room.
You walk around your house wearing a gun? Even when you're sitting on your Lazy Boy watching Honey Boo Boo?

Interesting....
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:50 PM   #120
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
When I am carrying concealed, I am armed if I am dressed.
I guess if you're not dressed, carrying concealed might be very uncomfortable.

Quote:
There are not multiple guns "stashed" in every room... the gun travels with me from room to room.
How adorable! It must love you very much.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:10 PM   #121
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
You walk around your house wearing a gun? Even when you're sitting on your Lazy Boy watching Honey Boo Boo?

Interesting....
Since you have never carried concealed, I wouldn't expect you to understand. It is concealed, not on my hip. I have done it for many years, it's comfortable, and most of the time it is not even consciously felt. It is no different, in sensory perception, as wearing a watch or a pair of shoes... i.e. it's there but not ever present as conscious thought.

I'm sure all of those unfamiliar with this will have tons of sarcastic and/or humorous comments. I would expect nothing less.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #122
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Since you have never carried concealed, I wouldn't expect you to understand. It is concealed, not on my hip. I have done it for many years, it's comfortable, and most of the time it is not even consciously felt. It is no different, in sensory perception, as wearing a watch or a pair of shoes... i.e. it's there but not ever present as conscious thought.

I'm sure all of those unfamiliar with this will have tons of sarcastic and/or humorous comments. I would expect nothing less.
Ohhh, I'm very familiar with carrying concealed.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #123
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Ohhh, I'm very familiar with carrying concealed.
When I get home, I am not necessarily going to stay inside for the rest of the evening. Some who carry concealed might remove the firearm, and pick it up and reholster again if going out. Since it is not at all uncomfortable, and I don't carry in an easily accessible belt holster, I simply find it easier leaving it where it is, and when I am going to bed it gets removed.

As I said, it's not something that is even consciously considered... it's just there until I'm getting undressed.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:14 PM   #124
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
As I said, it's not something that is even consciously considered... it's just there until I'm getting undressed.
We are still talking about guns, aren't we?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #125
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
We are still talking about guns, aren't we?
It's always nice when expectations are met.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues