Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:43 PM   #276
NitinNike
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
Yes it will work on any World Wide GSM or the valid LTE bands listed for the A1429 Model. Only the CDMA portion is unsupported by most if not all carriers if you purchased the Verizon unit.

Dave
Thanks a lot! 😄
NitinNike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:10 PM   #277
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
Yes it will work on any World Wide GSM or the valid LTE bands listed for the A1429 Model. Only the CDMA portion is unsupported by most if not all carriers if you purchased the Verizon unit.

Dave
Are you sure it will work on LTE networks (yes, the ones on chennels 1,3,5)around the world?

Do you think there'd be any problems by buying an unactivated Verizon iphone from bestbuy and never activate it?
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:48 AM   #278
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera4s View Post
Are you sure it will work on LTE networks (yes, the ones on chennels 1,3,5)around the world?

Do you think there'd be any problems by buying an unactivated Verizon iphone from bestbuy and never activate it?
The Verizon iPhone 5 is a model 1429 for the USA market that is configured to allow the use of any GSM Nano-SIM due to a FCC requirement with Verizon's purchase of a specific spectrum. This means that a Verizon model A1429 purchased from BestBuy will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5, 13 and 25 in the USA or anywhere these 5 bands are supported. In other countries your model A1429 USA Verizon purchaed iPhone 5 will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5. You will need to verify with the carrier any restrictions they may have on LTE support.

So in the USA, if you purchase a model 1429 iPhone 5 make sure that you understand how it was initially purchased! There is no magic hardware, the control of the Nano-SIM slot is controlled by how the device is registered at point of sale or device replacement in the Apple servers. If it is ever registered as a Sprint iPhone 5 then the Nano-SIM slot will be locked in the USA and no other GSM carrier or MVNO will work. Sprint will only unlock the Nano-SIM slot for International GSM carriers if you meet the Sprint usage requirements.

Currently in the USA, the new unlocked iPhone 5 that was just announced by Apple for sale in the USA is the model A1428 and not the model 1429! The model A1428 only supports the following LTE bands: 4 and 17. Note the FCC specs indicate that it also supports LTE bands: 2 and 5.

Note: The unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA is model A1428. For details on LTE support see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. If you want to use LTE bands in any country make sure that model you purchase supports the LTE bands available or planned to be available in the future.

The unlocked USA iPhone 5 model 1428 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA.


source: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/iphone5
Open the "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" section.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:12 AM   #279
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
The Verizon iPhone 5 is a model 1429 for the USA market that is configured to allow the use of any GSM Nano-SIM due to a FCC requirement with Verizon's purchase of a specific spectrum. This means that a Verizon model A1429 purchased from BestBuy will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5, 13 and 25 in the USA or anywhere these 5 bands are supported. In other countries your model A1429 USA Verizon purchaed iPhone 5 will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5. You will need to verify with the carrier any restrictions they may have on LTE support.
Last night I talked with a Verizon assitant on their site and he said that their phone is only going to work on their 4G network only. I don't know if he told me this because he "has to" or if it's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
So in the USA, if you purchase a model 1429 iPhone 5 make sure that you understand how it was initially purchased! There is no magic hardware, the control of the Nano-SIM slot is controlled by how the device is registered at point of sale or device replacement in the Apple servers. If it is ever registered as a Sprint iPhone 5 then the Nano-SIM slot will be locked in the USA and no other GSM carrier or MVNO will work. Sprint will only unlock the Nano-SIM slot for International GSM carriers if you meet the Sprint usage requirements.

Currently in the USA, the new unlocked iPhone 5 that was just announced by Apple for sale in the USA is the model A1428 and not the model 1429! The model A1428 only supports the following LTE bands: 4 and 17. Note the FCC specs indicate that it also supports LTE bands: 2 and 5.
I didn't know this thing about the 1428 model, thanks for clearing this out. Band 5 should be 2100mhz, right? This one might be good for Europe LTE as well perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
Note: The unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA is model A1428. For details on LTE support see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. If you want to use LTE bands in any country make sure that model you purchase supports the LTE bands available or planned to be available in the future.

The unlocked USA iPhone 5 model 1428 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA.


source: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/iphone5
Open the "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" section.

Dave
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #280
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera4s View Post
Last night I talked with a Verizon assitant on their site and he said that their phone is only going to work on their 4G network only. I don't know if he told me this because he "has to" or if it's the truth.

I didn't know this thing about the 1428 model, thanks for clearing this out. Band 5 should be 2100mhz, right? This one might be good for Europe LTE as well perhaps...
The Verizon rep can only tell you the official Verizon response or their own definition of 4G if they go off script. The Verizon model A1429 will work fine on the Verzion CDMA and LTE. It will also work just fine on AT&T or T-Mobile with a Nano-SIM. It will also work with MVNOs that ride on the Verizon network or AT&T's network.

On the model A1428, LTE band 5 would be (Cellular 850, 850MHz) and band 2 is (PCS, 1.9GHz). Think T-Mobile in 2013. At this point it appears that you might be better suited to go for the model A1429 for any possible LTE support in Europe.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:15 PM   #281
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Ok Dave. The thing is that I found an unactivated iphone5 at best buy and would like to buy it (as stated in another thread on this forum). I don't know if it will turn into an "ibrick" by having that unactivated phone in Europe or if it'll work normally. Anybody's got an idea?
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:54 AM   #282
qarews
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
i have read all the posts in this thread, but i am not sure yet

can you buy A1429 CDMA full price at Apple Store (649+tax) ?

and i mean WITHOUT any kind of contract, NO month-to-month, no Verizon papers no nothing
has anyone done this?


i see some of you bought it as "device only" but did you get it on verizon "monts-to-month" plan ?

thanx a lot
qarews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:40 AM   #283
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
There's a guy on an italian forum that managed to get one in an Apple store in Philadelphia. A Verizon CDMA iphone 5 with no contract whatsoever, not even the month to month plan. He said that he had to sign a paper where you agree that Apple won't be responsible if your phone doesn't work properly on a different network.
The phone works flawlessly from what the user says.
Last thing, he said that it's better to call the stores to make sure they have it because availability of cdmas is low.
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:02 AM   #284
qarews
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
then i guess it all depends on how nice you ask them and their stocks

Last edited by qarews; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
qarews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:51 AM   #285
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I think you're right, you just have to be lucky and polite. I know that they have plenty in stock now...
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:56 PM   #286
max5peru
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru
I bought the AT&T VERSION device only at best buy. I also unlocked the phone on AT&T site thru their customer service, take the phone to Peru and it's working now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera4s View Post
Ok Dave. The thing is that I found an unactivated iphone5 at best buy and would like to buy it (as stated in another thread on this forum). I don't know if it will turn into an "ibrick" by having that unactivated phone in Europe or if it'll work normally. Anybody's got an idea?
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:07 PM   #287
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks for your experience max
After some thought I might end up having a friend buy Verizon's iphone with no plan at an Apple Store if they have it available. Otherwise I'll get it at bb.
carrera4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:40 PM   #288
bync
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Need help!

Hello! I'm from Russia. I just have one question - is there russian language in american iphone 5 or it must be special device made for Russia only?
bync is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:32 AM   #289
GyroFX
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles and NorCal
Send a message via AIM to GyroFX Send a message via Yahoo to GyroFX
If I want to buy an unlocked phone in the US for a friend in China, which version should I get? Do all the iPhone GSM functions the same for china?
__________________
Design is an opinion, not a profession - William Heins
GyroFX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:55 AM   #290
mfilova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to mfilova
If I buy an Factory unlocked iPhone 5 from ebay -- can I use the device on networks that don't have mini sim cards ?
__________________
Finally I found the best iPhone IMEI Check service that can check any IMEI code - Created by UnlockBoot Team
mfilova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:45 PM   #291
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilova View Post
If I buy an Factory unlocked iPhone 5 from ebay -- can I use the device on networks that don't have mini sim cards ?
They're not mini SIM cards, they're nano SIM cards, and yes just cut your sim to fit. There are tutorials online
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:23 AM   #292
muon25
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinNike View Post
My sister who stays is US purchased a Verizon iPhone 5 (Model-A1429 CDMA) off contract(by paying the full price). So will it work on gsm lte bands (1,3,5) or I can say outside US. More specifically I want to say that all the countries which are shown in A1429 gsm unlocked one(Countries from Asia,Europe).
Did she buy it in an Apple store?
muon25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:52 AM   #293
Peter78
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
My friend bring me one unlocked iP5 from Apple Store in USA. Works fine with local GSM operator.
Peter78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #294
muon25
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter78 View Post
My friend bring me one unlocked iP5 from Apple Store in USA. Works fine with local GSM operator.
Just to clarify. Was it the CDMA model?
muon25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #295
carrera4s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Just a little update: I finally got my iPhone 5 and simply love it!
A friend of mine went to a Best Buy in Boston to get a Verizon unlocked one but they wouldn't sell it without a contract. He ended up buying the unlocked version at the Apple Store. I'll do without LTE connections, no big deal since that we're so far back in europe for coverage of this new type of networks.
Anyway, it works like a charm, wouldn't change for any other phone.
Thanks to everybody that helped me with the purchase on this forum.
carrera4s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:18 AM   #296
Peter78
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by muon25 View Post
Just to clarify. Was it the CDMA model?
I don't know, Model is MD634LL
Peter78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #297
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Anybody who is paying $650 for a 16GB iPhone is nuts. Worth it on an upgrade, definitely not without one.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:34 PM   #298
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Anybody who is paying $650 for a 16GB iPhone is nuts. Worth it on an upgrade, definitely not without one.
Cool story bro
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:44 PM   #299
Peter78
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Anybody who is paying $650 for a 16GB iPhone is nuts. Worth it on an upgrade, definitely not without one.
LOL, why should I pay more for something I don't need?
Peter78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:17 PM   #300
Hen9ng
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Norway
I pick this thread in front again. I have short question, I am wondering if it's possible to buy a contract free and unlocked Verizon iPhone in the Apple store or a Best Buy store right now? It is just to ask for a device only?

Hope for an answer
Hen9ng
Hen9ng is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying unlocked iphone 5s or 5c not from apple store sawtooth420 iPhone 7 Oct 28, 2013 09:28 AM
No Unlocked Message from iTunes - iPhone 5S Unlocked Purchased from Apple Store khhntz iPhone 2 Sep 26, 2013 08:24 AM
Will the US apple store sell iPhone 5s unlocked version in store? z3r0day iPhone 33 Sep 19, 2013 10:01 PM
Unlocked iPhone 5 - USA korbui iPhone 8 Oct 28, 2012 10:46 PM
Buying from UK for store pickup in USA mrfrosty Buying Tips and Advice 4 Sep 24, 2012 03:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC