Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Has anyone noticed that their Google Maps (the new app) stutters when moving around? For example, when I drive around in my car, instead of smoothly moving along the streets like Apple Craps, it's more "jittery", and seems to "jump" along the streets. I'm not sure if that accurately describes it or not, but it definitely is not as smooth as Apple's. Still, I'll use Google Maps over Apple Craps, but I'm hoping Google fixes this.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Yes... I noticed it right from the get go. Pinch and zoom is not "Apple smooth" like Apple Maps (even the old Google Maps app) or Safari. The AppStore Google Maps is stuttery... kinda like... how the comparison between Android when compared to the fluidity of iOS over the years. Guess Google has monkeys coding their software for them.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm running iOS 6.0.2, Google Maps are exceptionally smooth & fluid. Just like a native Apple app.

In addition I've noticed a nice improvement with Apple Maps. Other than the obvious look & feel distinctions I've been enjoying them both.

Thanks to Googles fine work, they add extra value to iOS.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
Yea I noticed it isn't as smooth, but who honestly cares? It's way better in terms of functionality and even the design is still very good even for a google app.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
It's smooth on my iPhone 5.

It's choppy on my iPhone 4.

The vector graphics are much more resource intensive than the old map tiles used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.