Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How quickly does the battery drain on maximum brightness? I'm still using my iPhone 4S and am trying to decide what I want to get next. I'd really like to try the Nexus 4, but the battery life complaints are scaring me. I always keep brightness at maximum on phones unless I'm in a dark room.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Haha honestly no one knows.

Also I just did my RMA and they upgraded me to a 16 GB and its shipping in less than a week. Awesome!

That is what people told me with my replacement. A week went by and then the told me it would be another week. Then 3 weeks. Then 7 weeks. Then 2 weeks. Then they said I got backordered and should receive it in a month.

After that, I told them I was going out of the country in 3 days and really needed the unlocked phone that I paid for over a month and a half ago. 2 days later, it arrived.

And even right now, Google still has it listed as "pre-ordered."
screenshot20130103at104.png

So I sent an email to 3 different customer service agents and all I said was "Why is my Nexus 4 still listed as pre ordered?" All of them responded saying that they were backordered and that I should get it in a few weeks. Apparently nobody made any sort of documentation that my phone was pushed through.

Basically, don't believe anything they say.

----------

How quickly does the battery drain on maximum brightness? I'm still using my iPhone 4S and am trying to decide what I want to get next. I'd really like to try the Nexus 4, but the battery life complaints are scaring me. I always keep brightness at maximum on phones unless I'm in a dark room.

When I put Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 4 I noticed a slight increase in batter life. But I never put my brightness above half. Moving the brightness from 10% to 100% doesn't make nearly as big of a difference as it does with an iPhone. And I switched from a 4S.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I can't handle any brightness setting higher than this on my Nexus 4:

sOpxM.png

Screen feels insanely bright.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Wow that's great! Maybe it means they have more stock in.

I saw T-Mobile News say that this month all T-Mobile stores will have the Nexus 4 available in the USA where they havent yet. Cant get one here in Vegas. So im sure some of that stock is going elsewhere and they are having a hard time keeping up.

Also saw that the estimation for N4 sales is around 370,000. Not huge but more a success than they have had by only using the Google store.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I saw T-Mobile News say that this month all T-Mobile stores will have the Nexus 4 available in the USA where they havent yet. Cant get one here in Vegas. So im sure some of that stock is going elsewhere and they are having a hard time keeping up.

Also saw that the estimation for N4 sales is around 370,000. Not huge but more a success than they have had by only using the Google store.

I'll be impressed when they start offering it in other countries, like Ireland :p

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I haven't used Google Now at all but I want to start using it because it seems to have a lot of useful features. Have you guys noticed it causing a significant battery drain? I also generally had all my location services off because I rarely ever use GPS.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
A wallpaper I got from a guy called yousefak on xda. It's like the pattern on the back of the Nexus 4. Here it is in case anyone wants it:

Attachments

• BqTPC.jpg
    BqTPC.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 93

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I haven't used Google Now at all but I want to start using it because it seems to have a lot of useful features. Have you guys noticed it causing a significant battery drain? I also generally had all my location services off because I rarely ever use GPS.

I keep Google Now on all the time and have managed to get by fine for the most part. I tried leaving it off for a day or two when I had my first Nexus 4 and I didn't notice a difference.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I keep Google Now on all the time and have managed to get by fine for the most part. I tried leaving it off for a day or two when I had my first Nexus 4 and I didn't notice a difference.

I guess I'll give it a try for a few days and see. What do I have to lose.

I have to find a way to stop obsessing over battery life. It was never this bad when I had an iPhone and it's not as bad even with my new HTC 8X. I think it's because with Android you can do so much to change how the phone performs and preserves battery life (custom kernels by undeclocking/undervolting/limiting phone to 2 cores too) and because of this I try to get the most I can out of battery life. It also doesn't help when I see people with up to 9 hours of screen on time and over a day phone on time! I have no idea what those people do but probably stay on wifi most of the time and use something like Juice Defender which I absolutely hate. It's also probably due to being able to actually see how much you've used the phone with the screen on time versus however iOS calculates it's usaage time which always turns out to be more than my average screen on time on the Nexus 4.

To add to that, I was fine charging my iPhone 4/4S throughout the day because I'm a heavy user but now with my Nexus 4 I try to go through the whole day with a single charge and I can on most days provided I'm not playing any games.

Sorry for the rant :p

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I leave it on all the time as well but dont have everything turned on. I dont care to get stock quotes for example. I also am talking about this on my GS3. I dont have a Nexus 4. Google now does do a lot of different things and i havent even discovered many of them im sure.

Maybe we need a thread of Google Now discoveries...lol

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I leave it on all the time as well but dont have everything turned on. I dont care to get stock quotes for example. I also am talking about this on my GS3. I dont have a Nexus 4. Google now does do a lot of different things and i havent even discovered many of them im sure.

Maybe we need a thread of Google Now discoveries...lol

I think onthecouchagain started one about all the different voice commands you can use with it a while back :p

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think onthecouchagain started one about all the different voice commands you can use with it a while back :p

Dont think it was a thread and it wasnt what i had in mind. I think he listed commands or words to say or understand.

I mean something like this...i used G voice and said " i need to get some long sleeve shirts this weekend? and it said "saving note" , sent a email to me that was titled Note to self from Me and had in text what i spoke and also saved the voice recording that i could play.

Little things you discovered other than command words. But i guess if you knew all the commands you would discover some things.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Dont think it was a thread and it wasnt what i had in mind. I think he listed commands or words to say or understand.

I mean something like this...i used G voice and said " i need to get some long sleeve shirts this weekend? and it said "saving note" , sent a email to me that was titled Note to self from Me and had in text what i spoke and also saved the voice recording that i could play.

Little things you discovered other than command words. But i guess if you knew all the commands you would discover some things.

A guy on twitter just said to do this, go do it :p

"Ask "what is a giraffe" from Google Now. Listen carefully. Laugh."

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I guess I'll give it a try for a few days and see. What do I have to lose.

I have to find a way to stop obsessing over battery life. It was never this bad when I had an iPhone and it's not as bad even with my new HTC 8X. I think it's because with Android you can do so much to change how the phone performs and preserves battery life (custom kernels by undeclocking/undervolting/limiting phone to 2 cores too) and because of this I try to get the most I can out of battery life. It also doesn't help when I see people with up to 9 hours of screen on time and over a day phone on time! I have no idea what those people do but probably stay on wifi most of the time and use something like Juice Defender which I absolutely hate. It's also probably due to being able to actually see how much you've used the phone with the screen on time versus however iOS calculates it's usaage time which always turns out to be more than my average screen on time on the Nexus 4.

To add to that, I was fine charging my iPhone 4/4S throughout the day because I'm a heavy user but now with my Nexus 4 I try to go through the whole day with a single charge and I can on most days provided I'm not playing any games.

Sorry for the rant :p

How can you limit the phone to 2 cores? I've not heard about that yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.