Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
It used to be that jacking into a PC w/o iTunes would cause the computer to see the iDevice as an external HD which may allow you to delete the offending photos.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm not bothered if those pics are still on her computer..just want them off my phone

Is this your first iPhone?

It seems that you will want to sync your phone eventually to a pc/apple laptop. So I would just delete the pics from the phone and back up.

I have never seen a situation where you couldn't delete a picture from an iPhone. Are these pics being saved in the cloud?

----------

If he just got divorced, he probably can't afford to have his own computer. That's why he's back at his parents. :(

?

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Is this your first iPhone?

I have never seen a situation where you couldn't delete a picture from an iPhone. Are these pics being saved in the cloud?

This limitation has been there since the very first iPhone...

There are 2 kinds of pics.

1st:
Those that are taken with the camera and placed into the camera roll. These CAN be deleted from the Photos app on the iPhone.

2nd:
Those synced FROM a computer in iTunes. Those CANNOT be deleted from the Photos app on the iPhone. When you click "Edit" on the top right, you don't even get an option to delete.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

1st:
Those that are taken with the camera and placed into the camera roll. These CAN be deleted from the Photos app on the iPhone.

2nd:
Those synced FROM a computer in iTunes. Those CANNOT be deleted from the Photos app on the iPhone. When you click "Edit" on the top right, you don't even get an option to delete.

So you think on a different computer it will get rid of the photos or you think a clear reset would be better?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
So you think on a different computer it will get rid of the photos or you think a clear reset would be better?

I think your specific case, the reset is better, because you don't own (and don't seem to want to own) a computer. So why tether your iPhone to any computer? iTunes only wants your iDevice to be synced with 1 computer at a time. So just avoid the headache and not sync with any computer until you decide to own one. The only downside to this is music... unless you always buy your music iTunes.

But... as for the reset... make absolutely sure you have an iCloud backup before doing it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think your specific case, the reset is better, because you don't own (and don't seem to want to own) a computer. So why tether your iPhone to any computer? iTunes only wants your iDevice to be synced with 1 computer at a time. So just avoid the headache and not sync with any computer until you decide to own one. The only downside to this is music... unless you always buy your music iTunes.

But... as for the reset... make absolutely sure you have an iCloud backup before doing it.

Would I still be able to keep the music that was downloaded if i did plug my phone to my parents computer?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Who are you to make that call?

nobody....j/k

----------

1st:

2nd:

I have to try that out. Guess I never ran into that senario before.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Or could just be someone young still living with his parents and the ex is an ex-girlfriend.

No i had a house with my wife and now back at parents...so therefore no access to mac to remove said photos. just sucks I can't keep the music that was downloaded not through itunes but i did download them on a CD so should be easy adding them on i'm guessing?

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
just sucks I can't keep the music that was downloaded not through itunes but i did download them on a CD so should be easy adding them on i'm guessing?

Yes, you should be able to sync the music back to your iPhone through iTunes on a PC/Mac. So you could sync your iPhone with your parents PC through iTunes. Choose to sync pictures and music (where you copy the music on your CD to a folder onto the PC and add that folder to your iTunes music library). And if you just set an empty picture folder to sync your pictures with I guess the overall result of that sync would leave you with your "CD music" and nothing but the photos in your camera roll left on the iPhone.

I believe that you won't lose any apps or anything this way. I'm a new iPhone user myself, coming from Android, and are still learning some of the media adding/removing the hard way. I truly miss the simplicity in being able to mount my phone as an external HD and being able to have full control adding/deleting music, photos etc. straight through the file explorer on the PC.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes, you should be able to sync the music back to your iPhone through iTunes on a PC/Mac. So you could sync your iPhone with your parents PC through iTunes. Choose to sync pictures and music (where you copy the music on your CD to a folder onto the PC and add that folder to your iTunes music library). And if you just set an empty picture folder to sync your pictures with I guess the overall result of that sync would leave you with your "CD music" and nothing but the photos in your camera roll left on the iPhone.

I believe that you won't lose any apps or anything this way. I'm a new iPhone user myself, coming from Android, and are still learning some of the media adding/removing the hard way. I truly miss the simplicity in being able to mount my phone as an external HD and being able to have full control adding/deleting music, photos etc. straight through the file explorer on the PC.

thanks

I'm guessing signing in on itunes as my user ID is a must and not my parents as i'm guessing if i do that i would get all of their apps etc.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
thanks

I'm guessing signing in on itunes as my user ID is a must and not my parents as i'm guessing if i do that i would get all of their apps etc.

Yes, sign in under your iTunes account. Authorize the PC.

Then make a backup up on the PC. After you make the backup, open the iPhone in Computer. I believe it should only give you the photo albums. Camera roll and ect.. Make a copy of the photos you want to keep. Go back into iTunes, photos, and select the album that you just created to be synced and only that album. Apply. It should keep everything on your iPhone the way it is except the photos. Bit of a PITA but it should work.

After that, make another backup so in case you have to use one you don't have all those unwanted photos coming back.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
With ifunbox you can browse and manage the files that are on your iOS device. It's available for Mac en Windows.

From their web site it looks like this program will help you with what you want to do. And it looks like it's completely free. I wonder what the catch is? Haven't tested it myself though...

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I used it once to remove a file, free indeed and no catch found.

I've now also tested iFunbook and it works fine to delete photos that you have synced into your iPhone straight from the program on the PC. I just had some trouble finding the folder where the photos were and I found them under iFunbook Classic - Raw File System - PhotoData - Sync - 100SYNCD.

*EDIT*
The pictures i deleted from my camera roll and synced folder still shows on the iPhone, even after reboot. But if I open iFunbook they don't show there. However, the pictures still on the iPhone are very low res and probably some kind of thumbnail that won't disappear. So it doesn't seem to work properly, or at lest haven't I got it to work properly...

Last edited:

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
You can sync an iPhone with multiple computers (different media types for each) without wiping everything out. I have photos synced with my Mac and everything else synced with my Windows PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.