Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I dropped my rmbp just now, but only minor scratch. However after i look through, my display is not equal. As you can see in the pic, the display lid is not equal when i close the lid. On the left side the lid is going inside and the body of the macbook is coming out , on the right side the lid is coming out and the body is inside. At the back , where the black thing is located, one side is coming out and one side is coming in. Is it normal? do you guys also have that?

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_7153.jpg
    IMG_7153.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 2,123
  • IMG_9718.jpg
    IMG_9718.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 1,413
Last edited:

Jay1818182728

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I've got the 13 inch macbook retina and this isn't normal but, I found this weird as on my last macbook 13 inch white, I dropped it and it's done exactly the same thing. The lip of the screen comes out over the body. I've had it like this for several years and it wasn't really a problem.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's adjustable. You need to take the bottom off, loosen the screws on the display hinge slightly, adjust it so it's level and then tighten them again.

Your local Apple store should be able to do it for you too :).

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
i am going to Genius tmr, hope they can fix mine

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
I did that to my 2010 MBP a few months after I dropped it:(

It worked just fine afterwards and I have not had it repaired since--no issues at all. If it bugs you, take it in (like you plan on doing), but know that if they deny you, it will work just fine.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Yea, i am not going to mention about dropping it, thanks anyway
Don't lie about it though. People don't like being lied to when you are asking for help.

Also... if it was on, there will be a record of it as there is a sensor that detects drops (not sure if it works when the computer is off though).

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Don't lie about it though. People don't like being lied to when you are asking for help.

Also... if it was on, there will be a record of it as there is a sensor that detects drops (not sure if it works when the computer is off though).

i believe only macbook with hard drive has motion sensors, but mine is Rmbp so i dont think i have the sensors, since it uses ssd

Nov 28, 2010
located

It's probably the Sudden Motion Sensor you talk about, which is there to protect the HDD from being damaged from an impact, not for detecting if it has fallen and recording the event, like the liquid sensors in MBPs (which do not record the event, just show, that an event has happened).

De5

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I have the same thing. Never dropped my mbp, but Im guessing it could be a return. If you find a fix let me know.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I have the same thing. Never dropped my mbp, but Im guessing it could be a return. If you find a fix let me know.

Sure ill let you know. I am also wondering are there any swap unit for MBPR like iPhone? if i am lucky they will just swap it instead of fixing it

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Sure ill let you know. I am also wondering are there any swap unit for MBPR like iPhone? if i am lucky they will just swap it instead of fixing it

They won't swap it for a newer model. They'll either fix yours and swap it with the same exact model.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Try to drop it on the other side and see if it levels

Comeon the guy is already shocked. :)

Dropped mine twice in three months already, fortunately it was inside my well-padded pouch... I knew the $50 bux was worth it. :) Still perfectly aligned like a swiss watch.

vet

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Vancouver
As mentioned before, this is an extremely easy fix given that you have pentalobe screwdrivers to open the bottom cover and a torx screwdriver to realign the display assembly.

I had to reseat mine when a genius failed to align it properly after getting a top case replacement.

Once you get the bottom cover off, find two triangular rubber pieces near the hinges; one on each side. Remove the rubber piece to reveal the 3 torx screws that aligns the display with the case. Remove 2 side screws but not the centre screw so that you have enough degree of freedom to adjust. This helps to align the display without having to realign the whole assembly later.

Reactions: ISKOTB

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
i believe only macbook with hard drive has motion sensors, but mine is Rmbp so i dont think i have the sensors, since it uses ssd

These sensors are to protect the HDD. They are not something you check when diagnosing problems.

they said i have to give them the computer for a week to fix this

That's normal. If they approved the repair, you can always drop it off at a time when you can part with the machine for a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.