Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:12 PM   #101
561427
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Glad I remembered my old password because I felt compelled to say something here on the subject.

The iPhone 5 has, IMHO, the perfect screen size. I had a Droid, Droid 2 Global, and a Galaxy Nexus and all of those were not as useful as this phone dimensions. The screen on the Galaxy Nexus was large and was nice for a week. After that I was jealous of higher density displays. If the iPhone increases its screen size they better make sure it's very clear still. Next I don't need a large screen for anything trivial and especially not if it costs more battery life. Third, the other larger phones are not as moble as the iPhone 5. I bought this device to be just that--a phone. If I wanted a larger screen I would get a cellular tablet.

Please don't balloon the device and sacrifice why this phone is so great.
561427 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:22 PM   #102
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
Wrong. I will never get any phone over 4" ever again, unless there are NO phones that size. Had 'em, don't like 'em. I don't watch movies or TV on my phone......that's what a 60" plasma is for. I don't spend my days watching You Tube videos or surfing the web on my phone.....that's my iPad and HP Touchpad are for. I just want a small, light phone to make and take phone calls, get an email or two, send and receive texts, and serve up gobs of unlimited LTE to all of my mobile devices.
At the rate it's going, you won't be getting any decent handset in a year or so time.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:29 PM   #103
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
any bigger and it won't fit in my shirt pocket.
Surely Apple cares about if it can fit in your shirt pocket

Here's the thing.

If Apple believes that it can gain more customers if it releases a larger display without losing its current base, it will.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:41 PM   #104
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816
 
BlindMellon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
You must not understand the difference between "size" and "width". Maybe you should research a bit as these are pretty basic concepts.

Both screens are the same ratio. Size is completely separate from that.
In my experience a small 4" 16:9 screen is terrible to use (too small), but the larger 16:9 (as in the Android phones) are much more pleasing to use. So, screen ratio isn't as important as size. a stamp could also be 16:9.
__________________
nano, touch, pad, phone
BlindMellon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:44 PM   #105
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 561427 View Post
Glad I remembered my old password because I felt compelled to say something here on the subject.

The iPhone 5 has, IMHO, the perfect screen size. I had a Droid, Droid 2 Global, and a Galaxy Nexus and all of those were not as useful as this phone dimensions. The screen on the Galaxy Nexus was large and was nice for a week. After that I was jealous of higher density displays. If the iPhone increases its screen size they better make sure it's very clear still. Next I don't need a large screen for anything trivial and especially not if it costs more battery life. Third, the other larger phones are not as moble as the iPhone 5. I bought this device to be just that--a phone. If I wanted a larger screen I would get a cellular tablet.

Please don't balloon the device and sacrifice why this phone is so great.
Haha

People said that with the 3.5''. "Apple doesn't need to go bigger, 3.5'' is perfect lalala"

Apple releases the iPhone 5 and its presumed "has the best display size ever"

If Apple gave options like a 4'', 4.3'', 4.8'' those last two are no where near a tablet size. People will soon be touting those as the best/perfect size ever. Plus if the overall phone size was a little bit bigger, that would actually have more room for battery.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:49 PM   #106
dvoros
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
iPhone 5s or 6

I will not upgrade to a 5s or 6 unless the screen size expands to a least a 4.8 or 5 inch screen. I can hardly use it now with a 4 inch screen to do anything with pages, numbers or keynote.
dvoros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:29 PM   #107
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816
 
BlindMellon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoros View Post
I will not upgrade to a 5s or 6 unless the screen size expands to a least a 4.8 or 5 inch screen. I can hardly use it now with a 4 inch screen to do anything with pages, numbers or keynote.
it's clear apple wants you to also buy an ipad mini.
__________________
nano, touch, pad, phone
BlindMellon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:11 PM   #108
dcpmark
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
At the rate it's going, you won't be getting any decent handset in a year or so time.
I just got a decent handset with a 4" screen.....an iPhone 5. Why would I care what comes up in the next year? Or two? It does everything I want right now. You know.....make phones calls, get my email, send and receive texts, serve up unlimited LTE to all my other mobile devices, etc. My 3.7" Incredible was a decent handset that did everything I needed, although it was 3G in a 3G world. When LTE arrived the 4.3" Thunderbolt did everything I wanted as well, but was too big for my tastes. The best Android phones keep getting bigger, so it was time for an LTE iPhone 5. If Apple does go bigger, I'll be hanging onto my iPhone 5 for a LONG time. I still miss widgets, though. And Android's notification system. Just not enough to hold a mini-tablet to my face.
dcpmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 PM   #109
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
I just got a decent handset with a 4" screen.....an iPhone 5. Why would I care what comes up in the next year? Or two? It does everything I want right now. You know.....make phones calls, get my email, send and receive texts, serve up unlimited LTE to all my other mobile devices, etc. My 3.7" Incredible was a decent handset that did everything I needed, although it was 3G in a 3G world. When LTE arrived the 4.3" Thunderbolt did everything I wanted as well, but was too big for my tastes. The best Android phones keep getting bigger, so it was time for an LTE iPhone 5. If Apple does go bigger, I'll be hanging onto my iPhone 5 for a LONG time. I still miss widgets, though. And Android's notification system. Just not enough to hold a mini-tablet to my face.
You could put a significantly larger display on the iPhone without really changing the dimensions much. Bigger screen phones aren't mini-tablets, and if there's anything to learn from recent trends, it's that the 4" and below smartphone is going to be reserved for lower end devices in the coming year(s).
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:14 PM   #110
dcpmark
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Bigger screen phones aren't mini-tablets
Perhaps not to you, but they are to me. Are you familiar with the Dell Streak? It was a 5" tablet that also made phone calls. How do I know it was a tablet and not a cell phone? Because Dell called it a tablet:

http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d...ll-streak.aspx

A 4.8" or larger screen makes a device a tablet, in my opinion. Making it thinner and lighter doesn't make it less of a tablet. At minimum it's a phablet, but it sure ain't a cell phone. I have full-sized tablets.....don't need or want a phablet.
dcpmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:13 AM   #111
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMellon View Post
In my experience a small 4" 16:9 screen is terrible to use (too small), but the larger 16:9 (as in the Android phones) are much more pleasing to use. So, screen ratio isn't as important as size. a stamp could also be 16:9.
Is absolutely everyone on this forum incapable of tracing conversations back?

We were talking about relative ratios of the 5 and the S3. We were not talking about whether ratio or size is more important.

Jesus wept.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:12 AM   #112
Achillias
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I'm not going to buy the iPhone 5S if the screen size is the same also waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S4.
Achillias is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:14 AM   #113
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816
 
BlindMellon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
Is absolutely everyone on this forum incapable of tracing conversations back?

We were talking about relative ratios of the 5 and the S3. We were not talking about whether ratio or size is more important.

Jesus wept.
One affects the usability of the other. You can't discuss one without the other.

I wept.
__________________
nano, touch, pad, phone
BlindMellon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:47 AM   #114
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
I'm not getting the 5S, but will probably go with the 6 next year. I hope they don't go above 4", I really like the size now.
__________________
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 5 | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:07 AM   #115
Etnies419
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I can't say I wouldn't ever buy it, but I definitely wouldn't rush out to get one. I always thought I'd never want a phone with a bigger screen than the iPhones had, but it turns out I really like the size of the screen on the 5. That being said, I really don't like the super big screens that a lot of phones have, and am not willing to sacrifice pocketability for too big of a screen. I would probably get one that is a bit wider, but besides that I wouldn't want a bigger screen.
Etnies419 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:05 PM   #116
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMellon View Post
One affects the usability of the other. You can't discuss one without the other.

I wept.
Want a bet?

Original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
I jumped ship to the S3 when the iP5 went to the weird tall skinny form factor. I don't see the 5S or whatever getting a larger screen so i'll skip that also. If the 6 has the screen I want then i'll be back. If not, I'll probably skip that also.


So, the usability angle is completely irrelevant. MuddyPaws1 said they jumped from iPhone when it became tall and skinny - I pointed out that the phone they jumped to was equally tall and skinny.

That was it. Size has absolutely nothing to do with it.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:38 AM   #117
Cvadh387
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Get the Ip 5 as soon as you can. The next iteration of the Ip 5 will just be a spec bump, which won't affect you much. You will really enjoy the Ip 5. Don't wait, you can get a really good deal on one.
A co-worker of mine gave me this advice as well. He has the iPhone 5. He said that once the next iPhone comes out, buy the iPhone 5 because most likely the price would be lowered then and it would still be just as a good phone.

My upgrade isn't until February 25th, but since I would be purchasing my very first iPhone I think I want to wait until the newest one comes out and compare it to the previous one before I make my choice. I am just all too excited Especially hearing more rumors about the next iPhone
__________________
1st generation silver iPod mini 4G / 3rd generation iPod touch 8G / White iPad 2 16G / June 2012 13" MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz
Cvadh387 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:16 AM   #118
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
An 8gb iPhone 5? No thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvadh387 View Post
A co-worker of mine gave me this advice as well. He has the iPhone 5. He said that once the next iPhone comes out, buy the iPhone 5 because most likely the price would be lowered then and it would still be just as a good phone.

My upgrade isn't until February 25th, but since I would be purchasing my very first iPhone I think I want to wait until the newest one comes out and compare it to the previous one before I make my choice. I am just all too excited Especially hearing more rumors about the next iPhone
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:30 AM   #119
janny1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.
Totally agree.
The big phone is so nice and I looking forward the iphone can be bigger like Note 2 or S3 is good...
__________________
iPad Mini Most Protective Survivor Case
iPad MINI Protective Leather Rotary Case With Belt Buckle
Oh, my god, I have only an ipad mini, it's hard to choose
janny1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:13 AM   #120
Peter78
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
iP5 has the right size for the phone. To read books and browse internet I have Tablet PC.
Peter78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #121
Cvadh387
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
An 8gb iPhone 5? No thanks
Isn't the lowest 16GB?
__________________
1st generation silver iPod mini 4G / 3rd generation iPod touch 8G / White iPad 2 16G / June 2012 13" MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz
Cvadh387 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:42 PM   #122
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvadh387 View Post
Isn't the lowest 16GB?

When the next iPhone comes out the last version goes down the 8gb.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:50 PM   #123
JS82712
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.
It took some time for me to get used to iP5's screen size and I don't think I want to have to learn to handle my phone differently every year just because the screen keeps getting bigger.

Then there's that question of how much is too much? Samsung will be putting out phones close to 6" by next year, meanwhile the size of human hands don't seem to be evolving at the same pace.

If there's a reason for me to not buy the next iphone though, it'd be because of the lacklustre changes apple is making to iOS.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:50 PM   #124
Spungoflex
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
I'm not exaggerating. The screen is huge and perfectly symmetrical and aesthetic. Just my preference.
You can say the screen is great all you want, but it is not huge by any definition of the term. It is a very small screen in this day and age. The exact opposite of huge.
Spungoflex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:54 PM   #125
JS82712
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
An 8gb iPhone 5? No thanks
8GB is way too small to store enough quality apps on your phone

Funny thing is, fandroids seem to have no problem buying their little 8GB nexus 4 lol
I guess all they are doing on their phone is putting up cute little widgets so it doesn't matter.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 6 Camera May Feature Electronic Image Stabilization, Bigger Pixel Size MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 158 May 6, 2014 02:07 PM
exchanging iphone for bigger size carjakester iPhone 7 Dec 31, 2013 04:27 PM
Thinking to the future, iPhone 6 same size, much bigger screen? Radiating iPhone 0 Jan 28, 2013 12:31 PM
Apple NEEDS an iPhone with bigger screen size to silence critics. Radiating iPhone 58 Oct 29, 2012 09:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC