Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bverdun

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
product help

"3.0 out of new external hard drive to my 1yr plus I mac 800 firewire plug on old computer for a new back up machine need adapter" help where and can I find an adapter

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
The PERFECT name for a browser...

safari, n.

(səˈfɑːrɪ)

Also †sefari.

[Swahili, journey, expedition, f. Arab. safar journey.]

1. a.1.a A journey; a cross-country expedition, often lasting days or weeks, orig. in E. Africa and on foot, especially for hunting; now often with motorized vehicles, for tourism, adventure, or scientific investigation.

The Oxford English Dictionary.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
"3.0 out of new external hard drive to my 1yr plus I mac 800 firewire plug on old computer for a new back up machine need adapter" help where and can I find an adapter

Okay ----

I assume you're new to the internet. You replied to a forum post about the name of a web browser with a question that frankly doesn't make sense.

You'll have more luck posting in the help section in the main forum.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Okay ----

I assume you're new to the internet. You replied to a forum post about the name of a web browser with a question that frankly doesn't make sense.

I think he said he has a external hard disk with USB 3.0 and needs to find an adapter to connect to his Firewire 800 port of his iMac.

Funny but I don't think there is such a thing as a USB 3.0 to Firewire adaptor

Oops I wasn't supposed to answer the question. Hey buddy move along you're in the wrong neighbourhood, noob!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Safari always sounds like 'a rough ride' to me, while Apple makes it as smooth as possible. Never found the name appropriate.

I don't see why it is particularly inappropriate, the Citroen Safari was particularly smooth, even if it looked incredibly awkward (DS Safari). :rolleyes: Great car, shame about the horrid station wagon shape. :p

It was also known as "Break" in some countries.

That said, I've never really used Safari on the Mac that much - I've always tended to use Firefox due to the useful addons. On iPhone though, Safari is there and works okay so I just use it.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I think he said he has a external hard disk with USB 3.0 and needs to find an adapter to connect to his Firewire 800 port of his iMac.

Funny but I don't think there is such a thing as a USB 3.0 to Firewire adaptor

Oops I wasn't supposed to answer the question. Hey buddy move along you're in the wrong neighbourhood, noob!

I didn't know what he was asking. At all. But if that's what you got from his question --- thank you for answering. I just was pointing him in the right direction.

Sosumi.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Huh, I always thought 'Safari' was a jab at Microsoft after the 'Explorer' in Internet Explorer.

Safari is my browser of choice :) . If using Windows, I like to use the new IE 9/10. I couldn't really get into Chrome or FireFox.

----------

okay ----

i assume you're new to the internet. You replied to a forum post about the name of a web browser with a question that frankly doesn't make sense.

lol.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Safari, as in a tour through in the internet, which is a wild and dangerous place.

BTW, that article can be summed up as follows: The story behind the name is that there is no story behind the name.

So why not call it Web-Jeep?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Fixed it. Chrome on iOS sucks. GUI is hard to use and isn't smooth. Gestures aren't useful and work half the time. Performance is meh. Safari is far superior. Now on Android where Safari is absent, I guess the only crappy thing left is Chrome. On Windows though, Chrome is king. I wish Apple paid more attention to Safari on Windows.

Chrome is king on Android just that it lags on iOS because it's essentially a Safari shell but without Safari's JavaScript engine.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Chrome is king on Android just that it lags on iOS because it's essentially a Safari shell but without Safari's JavaScript engine.

There are many better/faster browsers on Android. Chrome sucks on iOS not because of speed but because it's confusing, inconsistent and gimmicky/useless gestures that don't work reliably.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Safari is a great browser and I hope it keeps getting better.

Chrome is a piece of Google spyware that sucks.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Say what ever you want, but by far, the best browser name is/was

Web Zepplin.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Nice article, but doesn't answer the title question. All it talks about are other titles that were discarded and the name development process. Nowhere in the article is there any indication of who, where, why the name Safari came to be.

Sure there's lots of speculation, but I figured an article on the name's origins would indeed be about the name's origins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.