Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

iPhone 5 multitouch seems bad.

So since I bought my new phone I noticed I am typing like crazy. Things that aren't even close. At first I figured it was me however it now seems that I am going 'too fast' for the iPhone 5. I can type the same way and speed on the 4s and ipad two without this issue.

Things like typing the it registers te and autocorrects to something stupid.

I assume this is a flaky multitouch surface or similar. The phone was setup as new, not restored.

What I am wondering is if anyone else with the iPhone 5 noticed a decrease in keyboard response. Obviously I can try a factory restore (and will) but I figured I'd ping the forum before doing so or going through the arduous exchange process.

Finally as a long time apple customer.

I'm returning my retina mbp another time, not be problems... Dead pixels on the first, loose case on the second and image retention.

The 4 and 4s were plagued with home button issues.

iMac has an uneven screen color.

Their support is great but qc is in the toilet.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I suspect this is a simple software problem. The iOS will get a little better with auto-correction and your typing style over time. Since you set up the phone as new, it basically has to start from scratch.

Apple may have also tweaked the algorithm in iOS 6, leading to other changes you notice.

I suspect it has little to do with bad QA.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
parrot5
macrumors 6502

That's right. If you had restored it, it would copy your preferences (along with what the iOS has learned about your typing preferences and positions) over to the new one.

Update: I know people are skeptical about copying preferences over, but you could always do a "reset network settings" if you encounter Wifi or network problems .

Last edited by parrot5; Sep 23, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
parrot5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
upsguy27
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
I noticed this issue as well, I really hope the two posters above me are right. I'm typing this on my 5 right now, and its painfully slow, as if half the keys won't register. This is on a replacement 5 as well; the original had the same issue.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Nikos
macrumors 65816

I've noticed something weird while typing as well. I also don't hear every "click" from the speaker. It sounds as if it's trying to catch up with me. I thought maybe I wasn't typing as well as on the 4/4S becuase of its new form factor, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of issue with the phone. Maybe we're too fast.
Nikos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Thanks or the responses.

The 4s is running ios6 too, so it's os agnostic afaik. Unless of course they use different drivers. Or maybe the coordinate calculations are off a bit.

Anyway. Knowing others have seen this will save me some time for now. Cheers.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:12 PM   #7
extraextra
macrumors 68000

I think it's a glitch in iOS6. I've noticed it in certain apps, occasionally while texting too.
extraextra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:15 PM   #8
matttye
macrumors 601

Can type really fast on this and it keeps up.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
I've noticed something weird while typing as well. I also don't hear every "click" from the speaker. It sounds as if it's trying to catch up with me. I thought maybe I wasn't typing as well as on the 4/4S becuase of its new form factor, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of issue with the phone. Maybe we're too fast.
I notice this during the iOS 6 beta. Whenever you start to type really fast it only clicks like every 3-4 characters. So far no issues with my i5 tho
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

It is definitely skipping some keys when I type too fast for it. Doesn't happen all the time but enough to piss me off. I've become quite adept at typing on the iPhone so this nonsense is really irritating.

Edit: and this is my number one irritation with Android phones - keyboard always lags behind my typing.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:43 PM   #11
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

I thought it was just me, but I am having the same issue. When trying to type 'here I am attempting to type quickly on my shiny new iPhone 5', I end up with 'Her I am attempting to type quickly o m Sony new iPhone 5'.

It just misses some letters completely. I never had the same issue on my previous iPhones or my iPad, so it likely isn't an issue with the way I type?

edit: this was in Notes, not a non-updated app.

Last edited by TheMacBookPro; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
TheMacBookPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

I'm experiencing similar issues with typing.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Shaddow825
macrumors 6502

I have only noticed issues with apps that havent been resized for the display. Near the edges of the app don't seem as responsive as normal.
Shaddow825 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:52 PM   #14
sluggozmom
macrumors regular

I've noticed this too...
sluggozmom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:03 PM   #15
nyjets
macrumors member

I noticed too. Doesn't keep up with me like my 4s did..
nyjets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:08 PM   #16
Che Castro
macrumors 601

This is a test

Working fine
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddow825 View Post
I have only noticed issues with apps that havent been resized for the display. Near the edges of the app don't seem as responsive as normal.
Yea I noticed this with tapatalk
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:29 PM   #18
ipos
macrumors 6502

Is multi tasking enabled in ios6 yet? Cant seems to use 5 finger action to close app
ipos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:05 AM   #19
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipos View Post
Is multi tasking enabled in ios6 yet? Cant seems to use 5 finger action to close app
That's iPad only.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:12 AM   #20
ipos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
That's iPad only.
i remember the feature works in iphone as well.
ipos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 AM   #21
Kyleptrsn1
macrumors newbie

Hey guys, the iPhone 5's screen is bigger. Therefore the letters are spaced farther apart. Of course you're going to be miss typing at first. I know I did. You'll figure it out in no time though.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:20 AM   #22
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleptrsn1 View Post
Hey guys, the iPhone 5's screen is bigger. Therefore the letters are spaced farther apart. Of course you're going to be miss typing at first. I know I did. You'll figure it out in no time though.
Derp. It's exactly the same width. How can it be spaced out further apart
TM WAZZA is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:21 AM   #23
Kyleptrsn1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
Derp. It's exactly the same width. How can it be spaced out further apart
Turn it landscape and try to type the way you would with your 4/4s.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:04 AM   #24
ericmcaldas
macrumors newbie

According to a new report from The China Times, Apple seems to be considering a new display technology, dubbed “touch-on,” for use in its next-generation iPhone to address issues with the current “in-cell” display found in the iPhone 5. The Cupertino California company has reportedly contracted with Chimei Innolux, Taiwan’s largest LCD maker, for the next-generation panels. Apple’s interest in the display technology was prompted by alleged “interference problems”

For those of you who are unaware, the iPhone 5 marked the debut of new touchscreen technology in Apple’s smartphone in the form of in-cell touch panels. This allowed for a thinner design by combining the touch sensor and display into one component. Rumors of Apple’s adoption of in-cell panels swirled in the company’s overseas supply chain for months, which proved to be true when the iPhone 5 was released. Shortly after, an issue arose with the iPhone 5 display in which the screen pauses or seemingly ignores touch input. The problem can be seen by rapidly swiping back and forth diagonally on the touchscreen on the iPhone 5, while previous iPhone models aren’t affected by the issue.

Initial reports suggested that the iPhone 5 scrolling “glitch” was in fact a hardware issue related to the new iPhone 5 in-cell touch panel. The recent report from The China Times supports the same conclusion, explaining that the technology has embedded the TFT touch panel and touch sensors on the same side, resulting in interference. The report also reiterates the earlier reports that claimed production issues with the in-cell technology led to supply constraints of the iPhone 5 at launch. The “touch-on display” technology from Chimei Innolux on the other hand is said to be both thin and durable while offering better touch sensing capabilities.

The only way we’ll find out if the report has any valid information is when Apple releases some concrete information, which is unlikely to happen for quite some time.

Source: The China Times via AppAdvice
ericmcaldas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:23 AM   #25
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Typing seems fine on mine.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone