Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:52 AM   #26
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
Michael, what made you decide to upgrade your Mac mini to 16GB? All the info on the web say it can only handle 8GB.
In the Mac Mini section and another site, a few people had successfully upgraded to 16G. I figured it was cheap enough that if it worked, GREAT! If not, I could sell it for 10.00 or less and not be out to much.

Ram should be in today. If it is, I'll report tonight after work.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 PM   #27
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
The ram didn't show up today, hopefully tomorrow.

I know my OS X Support Essentials did show up though. Been reading the ebook for the last three days.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:20 AM   #28
slomo86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turkey
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
The ram didn't show up today, hopefully tomorrow.

I know my OS X Support Essentials did show up though. Been reading the ebook for the last three days.

I am following this one REALLY close... I ordered the 16GB for my mid 10 MB, if it works in your Early 09 Mini I am ordering 16 more from mine too!!! This seriously needs needs to be on the front page of MacRumors.com!

GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!! I think your the one who stopped the world from ending today!
__________________
Mid '10 White MB 2.4/8/128GB SSD/500GBHD -Early '09 MM 2/8/128GB SSD/2TB External - PPC G5 Single 1.8/4/60GB/1TB - 3rd G iPad 32GB/500GB GoFlex HD - 16GB 4th G iPod Touch
slomo86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:01 AM   #29
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo86 View Post
I am following this one REALLY close... I ordered the 16GB for my mid 10 MB, if it works in your Early 09 Mini I am ordering 16 more from mine too!!! This seriously needs needs to be on the front page of MacRumors.com!

GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!! I think your the one who stopped the world from ending today!
Did you get the Mushkin from Ebay? I can't say any other modules will work, I hope my second pair works. HOPEFULLY, it's not a fluke and I got the only ram that works.

No worries. I wouldn't go that far.... well, I might have helped a little... :P
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #30
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-...puting+Blog%29
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:48 PM   #31
chrisperro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Did you get the Mushkin from Ebay? I can't say any other modules will work, I hope my second pair works. HOPEFULLY, it's not a fluke and I got the only ram that works.

No worries. I wouldn't go that far.... well, I might have helped a little... :P
found it cheaper,same memory i just order it.
http://www.outletpc.com/ug3762-mushk...op-memory.html
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:53 PM   #32
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
found it cheaper,same memory i just order it.
http://www.outletpc.com/ug3762-mushk...op-memory.html
Nice!

How much is shipping? If it's free, it's definitely a little cheaper. The Ebay auction is free shipping. Only 5 left, I need to order a couple more. Per my last post, I see myself getting another 2010 Mac mini and a 2010 Macbook. (Son then wife.)
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #33
chrisperro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Nice!

How much is shipping? If it's free, it's definitely a little cheaper. The Ebay auction is free shipping. Only 5 left, I need to order a couple more. Per my last post, I see myself getting another 2010 Mac mini and a 2010 Macbook. (Son then wife.)
shipping was $4 to canada,so my total was $70.18 ,and they ship from the warehouse in Nevada ,with ebay who knows where they ship from...china ,HK??

----------

oh noooo, is currently unavailable with pc outlet,i guess i order the last one.
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #34
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
shipping was $4 to canada,so my total was $70.18 ,and they ship from the warehouse in Nevada ,with ebay who knows where they ship from...china ,HK??
I select the option for USA only.

Shipment Accepted
December 17, 2012, 5:14 pm
STREAMWOOD, IL 60107

I'm not worried.

Will be here today:

Out for Delivery
December 21, 2012, 9:01 am
FLORENCE, MS 39073
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:36 AM   #35
slomo86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Did you get the Mushkin from Ebay? I can't say any other modules will work, I hope my second pair works. HOPEFULLY, it's not a fluke and I got the only ram that works.

No worries. I wouldn't go that far.... well, I might have helped a little... :P
I Did order from the link you posted.
__________________
Mid '10 White MB 2.4/8/128GB SSD/500GBHD -Early '09 MM 2/8/128GB SSD/2TB External - PPC G5 Single 1.8/4/60GB/1TB - 3rd G iPad 32GB/500GB GoFlex HD - 16GB 4th G iPod Touch
slomo86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:32 PM   #36
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo86 View Post
I Did order from the link you posted.
Very good. Have you received it yet? Tested it?

So, the good news: I don't have to buy another 16Gs ram. My 2009 Mac mini didn't like it at all. As soon as I turned it on, it started beeping. 3 beeps. I removed them, then added the 8Gs back in and it worked. So I took them out to try the 16Gs again and samething.

Bad news: The 16Gs of ram doesn't work in my 2009 Mac mini.

I added the ram to my Macbook and it's working flawlessly. So, that's that.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:54 PM   #37
slomo86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Very good. Have you received it yet? Tested it?

So, the good news: I don't have to buy another 16Gs ram. My 2009 Mac mini didn't like it at all. As soon as I turned it on, it started beeping. 3 beeps. I removed them, then added the 8Gs back in and it worked. So I took them out to try the 16Gs again and samething.

Bad news: The 16Gs of ram doesn't work in my 2009 Mac mini.

I added the ram to my Macbook and it's working flawlessly. So, that's that.
No I won't be getting it for a good few weeks or so. I am overseas right now, and mail getting here is VERY VERY VERY slow. I will post on here when I do get the RAM and tested.

Bummer it didn't work in the Mini I was really wanting it to work... I am looking into selling my MacBook here soon and use my Mini as a media center and some times it has a little hard time with 1080p play back and thought an extra 8GB would help me out with that. But I have a back up plan, swap out my SSD's. my MacBook has the Vertex 4, and the Mini has the OWC Mercury Electra 6G. When I test them the Vertex is almost 100Mbs faster than the Mercury.

Thanks for the info!!!
__________________
Mid '10 White MB 2.4/8/128GB SSD/500GBHD -Early '09 MM 2/8/128GB SSD/2TB External - PPC G5 Single 1.8/4/60GB/1TB - 3rd G iPad 32GB/500GB GoFlex HD - 16GB 4th G iPod Touch
slomo86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:05 PM   #38
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo86 View Post
No I won't be getting it for a good few weeks or so. I am overseas right now, and mail getting here is VERY VERY VERY slow. I will post on here when I do get the RAM and tested.

Bummer it didn't work in the Mini I was really wanting it to work... I am looking into selling my MacBook here soon and use my Mini as a media center and some times it has a little hard time with 1080p play back and thought an extra 8GB would help me out with that. But I have a back up plan, swap out my SSD's. my MacBook has the Vertex 4, and the Mini has the OWC Mercury Electra 6G. When I test them the Vertex is almost 100Mbs faster than the Mercury.

Thanks for the info!!!
Your Mini is a 2009 too? This ram worked great in my 2010 Mac mini.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:55 AM   #39
slomo86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Your Mini is a 2009 too? This ram worked great in my 2010 Mac mini.
Yeah I have the early 2009 Mini with the 2Ghz Core 2 Duo. Wish I had a newer one. But am gonna be up grading soon. I have a G5 I am gonna gut out and make a modded hackintosh out of... But it's gonna take a while, I am buying the parts here and there when I have the extra cash.
__________________
Mid '10 White MB 2.4/8/128GB SSD/500GBHD -Early '09 MM 2/8/128GB SSD/2TB External - PPC G5 Single 1.8/4/60GB/1TB - 3rd G iPad 32GB/500GB GoFlex HD - 16GB 4th G iPod Touch
slomo86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #40
chrisperro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: canada
well i just install 16gb of ram in my 2010 13" 2.4ghz macbook pro,working perfect no problem!
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:50 AM   #41
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo86 View Post
Yeah I have the early 2009 Mini with the 2Ghz Core 2 Duo. Wish I had a newer one. But am gonna be up grading soon. I have a G5 I am gonna gut out and make a modded hackintosh out of... But it's gonna take a while, I am buying the parts here and there when I have the extra cash.
Cool, the exact sameone I have. Good luck with the Hackintosh. I had a couple laptops I installed Hackintosh on but, gave up after updates killed the running system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
well i just install 16gb of ram in my 2010 13" 2.4ghz macbook pro,working perfect no problem!
Very nice! Congrats on that.

--

Update: I put the 16G of ram in my Macbook and on first boot, it had a kernel panic. It restarted in that message and then, I restarted the system. Booted up fine. Fast forward to this last Tuesday, my battery drained (was traveling a lot) and when I connected my power cord, (I assume it was in sleep mode) and when it powered up, it had another kernel panic. Samething again, reboot, restart and no errors.

It's ran like a dream any other time. Restarts, reboots, shut downs, and whatever else, no kernel panics. Last night, I installed 2X4G ram to get screenshots of the ram and when I put the 2X8G ram back in, booted up with no issue.

So, I'm not sure if that was a ram wasn't set properly the first time or what. I'm currently allowing the battery to drain again to see what happens. I'll test putting it to sleep in a few.

If anyone else has experienced anything like that or anything else that will inform us, please post up.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:42 PM   #42
soapsudz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Any issues with this setup under heavy load? I would love to run a few Windows and Linux virtual machines in Virtualbox all at once.
soapsudz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:21 PM   #43
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapsudz View Post
Any issues with this setup under heavy load? I would love to run a few Windows and Linux virtual machines in Virtualbox all at once.
I'm not a heavy user, minus a Fusion VM running. I can load up several apps, VM, and maybe D3 and see how it does. I only have FreeBSD and Centoss installed, I suppose I can run both.

I'll try it tomorrow and post up.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:11 AM   #44
soapsudz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
For added nostalgia value, how about a Haiku VM to remind us of the heady days of BeOS?

It's just that VMs love extra RAM. I remember running a Windows XP VM on just 2 GB RAM, I couldn't assign much to the VM and it ran slowly. With 8 GB RAM, I can run a Windows and a Linux VM with 512 Mb to 1 GB RAM each and it still leaves enough for the main OS to run. With 16 GB RAM, it would be plenty of fun
soapsudz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:50 AM   #45
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
I wonder if, even though the os is reporting the 17 gigs is it addressing it all? Can you open tons of apps to use more than 8 gigs active memory to confirm?
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:41 AM   #46
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapsudz View Post
For added nostalgia value, how about a Haiku VM to remind us of the heady days of BeOS?

It's just that VMs love extra RAM. I remember running a Windows XP VM on just 2 GB RAM, I couldn't assign much to the VM and it ran slowly. With 8 GB RAM, I can run a Windows and a Linux VM with 512 Mb to 1 GB RAM each and it still leaves enough for the main OS to run. With 16 GB RAM, it would be plenty of fun
I do remember BeOS....

I only have FreeBSD/Centoss right now. I gave each 2Gs ram before I tested this morning. I only have X running (Fluxbox) in FreeBSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
I wonder if, even though the os is reporting the 17 gigs is it addressing it all? Can you open tons of apps to use more than 8 gigs active memory to confirm?
I was able to get over 9Gs of Used memory. See my attached screenshot.

Like I said, I'm not a heavy user and the 16G maybe a waste but, I'll get Windows installed in Fusion and try it again. I gotta clear some space though, only a 128G SSD drive and nearly full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 7.34.33 AM.png
Views:	167
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	387924  
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #47
Ngorkes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
I bought this for my 2012 mac mini. Can i throw this is a 2010 macbook. Can i use the old 4gb ram for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Last edited by Ngorkes; Jan 4, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Ngorkes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:05 PM   #48
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
I do remember BeOS....

I only have FreeBSD/Centoss right now. I gave each 2Gs ram before I tested this morning. I only have X running (Fluxbox) in FreeBSD.



I was able to get over 9Gs of Used memory. See my attached screenshot.

Like I said, I'm not a heavy user and the 16G maybe a waste but, I'll get Windows installed in Fusion and try it again. I gotta clear some space though, only a 128G SSD drive and nearly full.
Thanks but bummer seems this only works in 13" too bad as I own a 15" MBP.
__________________
Various Apple Products

Last edited by marc11; Jan 5, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
marc11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:01 AM   #49
vincemolina
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Was tired of the 2gb of RAM that came with the laptop (I have the same one as you). Came across this thread and pulled the trigger on the same RAM you bought. Installed it, worked fine. Installed Mountain Lion, worked fine.
After a few hours, I was on FaceTime with my girlfriend when my screen all of a sudden turned solid blue and all sound cut off. My iSight light was still on, but the computer basically crashed. I had to hard-reboot to get it up and running again. I thought the problem was due to FaceTime, so I tested out Skype. Same results. Assumed it was a webcam problem now. Watched a full-screen movie. Same results. Then it just started crashing from normal use.
Re-installed the original 2gb of RAM, and so far it hasn't crashed once.
Very interesting problem. Will be asking for a refund though.
vincemolina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:36 PM   #50
brop52
macrumors 68000
 
brop52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemolina View Post
Was tired of the 2gb of RAM that came with the laptop (I have the same one as you). Came across this thread and pulled the trigger on the same RAM you bought. Installed it, worked fine. Installed Mountain Lion, worked fine.
After a few hours, I was on FaceTime with my girlfriend when my screen all of a sudden turned solid blue and all sound cut off. My iSight light was still on, but the computer basically crashed. I had to hard-reboot to get it up and running again. I thought the problem was due to FaceTime, so I tested out Skype. Same results. Assumed it was a webcam problem now. Watched a full-screen movie. Same results. Then it just started crashing from normal use.
Re-installed the original 2gb of RAM, and so far it hasn't crashed once.
Very interesting problem. Will be asking for a refund though.
It's the RAM.
__________________
2.0 GHz Alum Late 2008 MB, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD/SSD Momentus XT Hybrid; Wife's: 2.5GHz mid-2012 MBP, 16GB RAM, 500GB 5400 RPM HDD; 32GB Black iPhone 4S
brop52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I upgrade my MacBook Unibody Mid-2010 to 8gb or 16gb RAM? Mitchi3boi MacBook 4 Apr 12, 2014 09:12 AM
16GB RAM in a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro Hexley MacBook Pro 43 Oct 18, 2013 05:27 AM
Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro 16GB RAM/Memory Upgrade LAK3RS MacBook Pro 12 Jul 1, 2013 02:31 AM
16GB(2x8GB) DDR3-1666 RAM in Macbook White mid-2010 zacnoo Buying Tips and Advice 14 Apr 18, 2013 09:13 AM
16GB RAM in a Mid 2010 Mac mini Hexley Mac mini 12 Jan 1, 2013 04:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC