Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

importing dvd encodes into itunes, places them in Home Movies folder not Movies

Ive always encoded my dvds with handbrake and edited metadata with MetaX.
And theyve all stay in the movies folder in itunes and currently still do.

However I added a few more encodes to the library doing the same procedure and now they all show up in Home Movies section of itunes, even though Movies is selected in MetaX - all the other metadata retains and is the same.
So i edit the metadata in Itunes from Home Movie to Movie and it moves it over, but its not "hard coded" it doesnt stick. i transferred it to my portable and it pops it back into Home Movies.

Is it a metax issue, itunes issue?
anyone else experiencing this?
iTunes has always been horrible at metadata especially for movies, it never hard encodes them to keep them in one general location.

all apps are uptodate (metax, handbrake, itunes, )
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenXIII View Post
Ive always encoded my dvds with handbrake and edited metadata with MetaX.
And theyve all stay in the movies folder in itunes and currently still do.

However I added a few more encodes to the library doing the same procedure and now they all show up in Home Movies section of itunes, even though Movies is selected in MetaX - all the other metadata retains and is the same.
So i edit the metadata in Itunes from Home Movie to Movie and it moves it over, but its not "hard coded" it doesnt stick. i transferred it to my portable and it pops it back into Home Movies.

Is it a metax issue, itunes issue?
anyone else experiencing this?
iTunes has always been horrible at metadata especially for movies, it never hard encodes them to keep them in one general location.

all apps are uptodate (metax, handbrake, itunes, )
Sounds like it may be a metaX problem. Mine did the same thing until about a week ago when they updated Subler to fix the issue.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

It's not an iissue with your software...It's some new feature in iTunes. Just right click the file in question and choose "Movie" from the menu...That will move it over for you. It seems to do it with some rips and not others.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 AM   #4
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
Sounds like it may be a metaX problem. Mine did the same thing until about a week ago when they updated Subler to fix the issue.

Hm, yeah trying Subler now, alittle getting used but it seems to do the trick.
Any idea if MetaX is still developing? --thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
It's not an iissue with your software...It's some new feature in iTunes. Just right click the file in question and choose "Movie" from the menu...That will move it over for you. It seems to do it with some rips and not others.

Yep. I tried that initially, however when importing them back in they dont stick. it switches them back to Home Movies - when changing metadata in iTunes for movies just doesnt work permanently.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:41 AM   #5
BSoares
macrumors regular

I noticed the same since upgrading to the latest iTunes. Easy to change and mine seems to stick just fine. Maybe your file is read-only?
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
I noticed the same since upgrading to the latest iTunes. Easy to change and mine seems to stick just fine. Maybe your file is read-only?
If you remove your iTunes file and re-add it, you will find that the file reverts. This also occurs if you add it to a different library. This is what he is referring to.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
If you remove your iTunes file and re-add it, you will find that the file reverts. This also occurs if you add it to a different library. This is what he is referring to.
Precisely what I was getting at.

so far, the subler fix for it is working. currently using metax as the workflow tool and subler to make sure the tag is Movie.
thanks for the subler suggestion/reference!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
whynotregister
macrumors newbie

open the files in metax, check the video kind box

used metax to update about 300 movies, about 30 of them for whatever reason decided to be moved to the "home movies" group in itunes... i reopened them in metax... check the box located to the right of "video kind" hit the apply button... and now all of my moves are showing up under movies.
whynotregister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotregister View Post
used metax to update about 300 movies, about 30 of them for whatever reason decided to be moved to the "home movies" group in itunes... i reopened them in metax... check the box located to the right of "video kind" hit the apply button... and now all of my moves are showing up under movies.
in metax the movie box is checked, but they still dont stick with recent encodes.

all my other movies ive done in the past are fine and the metadata have stuck, just the recent few encodes havent been taking. still havent figured out the reasoning.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

MetaX isn't being developed anymore, but you can use MetaZ, which is a spin off that is still being developed. It's pretty similar to MetaX in looks too. The newest update allows you to choose between home video, video, etc.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I use RipIt and it does the same thing, it's quite annoying but an easy fix at least.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:04 PM   #12
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

MetaX sucks! Get iFlicks and that will tag everything correctly and categorize in iTunes properly too.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:15 AM   #13
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
MetaX isn't being developed anymore, but you can use MetaZ, which is a spin off that is still being developed. It's pretty similar to MetaX in looks too. The newest update allows you to choose between home video, video, etc.
appreciate the suggestion. works great. subler is a good alternative after messing with it and getting to know the workflow of it better too, but liking metaZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHailCarlo View Post
MetaX sucks! Get iFlicks and that will tag everything correctly and categorize in iTunes properly too.
No thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:19 AM   #14
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHailCarlo View Post
indeed. iflicks made me buy an appletv in the first place

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater