Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1676
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post
It's CS like this that helps me justify the cost of my Sector5 FE as well. That's awesome
I'm with you on that Mr. Poo
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1677
vodavoda
macrumors member

Added the cf back piece to cart, saw the ridiculous shipping and closed the page. They need to provide other shipping options, shipping cost more than the back piece!
vodavoda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1678
archrider
macrumors 6502a

I live 30 miles from Element's facility. It costs me $12 to have Fedex tack two days to carry it that distance. i could drive it for less than that.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1679
Brother Esau
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodninj4 View Post
Original post

Writing a quick review of the sector 5 after two and a half months of use and one accidental drop "test".

Design: B+
Design is a tough one because its purely based on opinion. I haven't had anyone tell me they disliked it or thought it was ugly. Asking to look at my phone is a common occurrence so I gave it a B+. I enjoy the look of it- if you purchased the case you probably do to.

Construction: C+
The aluminum siding is well crafted and feels/looks great. The best part of the aluminum sides is the grip it gives you. Using the phone in landscape feels great. It feels like you are holding something designed to be in landscape like a psp or something. The plastic corners are made of very weak plastic. The padding that lines the inside of case gets worn out over time and squishes down. This eventually makes the grip around the phone feel lose. Its not as firm as it use to feel when it was new. The plastic corners and padding are in need of an upgrade. Element has to use better material for these pieces.
Thumb resize.

Protection: D-
Look, if your phone drops face down on a hard uneven surface its very likely going to shatter the screen. If you aren't using the rear stick on felt they provide, its going to get scuffed up on an uneven surface. If you are not using some sort of sticker/wrap to protect the back of the phone or part of the front.. its going to get scratched on an uneven surface. The bumper is very light and thin. The aluminum its self is very weak because ...its aluminum. I dropped my phone during mardi gras on the sidewalk from pocket height and you can see the results below.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Price: D-
This should probably be an F but we can only blame our selves for spending 140$+ on a cell phone case that is less then 10 grams of material lol.

Overall I still really enjoy the case. I don't see my self changing it any time soon. I wish element would improve upon the plastic corners and the padding lining the inside or a significant reduction in price. I feel like the material you receive is not consistent with the price of the case. The case offers very little protection. You end up spending additional monies on wraps and glass screen protectors to get more protection.

I was a wood worker for 18 years so I am familiar with CNC machining.

I am all for quality workmanship but seriously Element your products are way over priced for the amount of material that you are using regardless of your said build process!

Lets get serious here and tell the truth of whats actually involved.

After the Initial Setup and finalized calibration, CNC Machinery is a one time setup with periodic calibration checks and adjustments if and when needed.

That is the whole point of CNC Machinery for a production shop so your argument on the cost of your cases (very nice BTW) due to the machining and bit changes Holds no water with me.

Really guys, It's a Aluminum Bumper for a phone must you charge such outrageous prices seeing how you are setup as a production shop with PRODUCTION CNC equipment?

You would think that for the price, the plastic corners would be made out of a Kevlar Composite. Are they?

Here's what I used to do and this was done the way it was done (By Hand) 250 years ago so I know what I am talking about here Element Cases. Care to respond?

Last edited by Brother Esau; Mar 2, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Brother Esau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1680
bloodninj4
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
I was a wood worker for 18 years so I am familiar with CNC machining.

I am all for quality workmanship but seriously Element your products are way over priced for the amount of material that you are using regardless of your said build process!

Lets get serious here and tell the truth of whats actually involved.

After the Initial Setup and finalized calibration, CNC Machinery is a one time setup with periodic calibration checks and adjustments if and when needed.

That is the whole point of CNC Machinery for a production shop so your argument on the cost of your cases (very nice BTW) due to the machining and bit changes Holds no water with me.

Really guys, It's a Aluminum Bumper for a phone must you charge such outrageous prices seeing how you are setup as a production shop with PRODUCTION CNC equipment?

You would think that for the price, the plastic corners would be made out of a Kevlar Composite. Are they?

Here's what I used to do and this was done the way it was done (By Hand) 250 years ago so I know what I am talking about here Element Cases. Care to respond?
Good perspective. Seriously the plastic corners are a joke. Not sure if the darker ones for the black cases are any better. But the clear ones for the silver remind me of the plastic you would come across when building some toy from the dollar store.

No amount of Customer Service can really justify the price you pay for the quality of material you receive.

I was considering purchasing a ronin as a gift but after experiencing the sector 5...I will pass. build material quality to cost ratio is wayyyy out of wack.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:49 AM   #1681
Starholk
macrumors newbie

My black ops case with the new carbon back plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	400777  
Starholk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1682
Starholk
macrumors newbie

Front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	400778  
Starholk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:05 AM   #1683
Dexy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starholk View Post
My black ops case with the new carbon back plate
Can you post some more picture? What is thickness of this carbon backplate? Can you shoot some pic from side?
Dexy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:19 AM   #1684
hofnar
macrumors regular

Could someone possibly measure the width the case adds on to the phone? I am curious if ill still be able to use my elevation dock.

Many thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:21 AM   #1685
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodavoda View Post
Added the cf back piece to cart, saw the ridiculous shipping and closed the page. They need to provide other shipping options, shipping cost more than the back piece!
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
I live 30 miles from Element's facility. It costs me $12 to have Fedex tack two days to carry it that distance. i could drive it for less than that.
Shipping was free for my backplate with USPS Priority?

Here she is with my Sector 5 FE

Love how the backplate isn't flat. Gives the case a more rounded feel.
Munkypoo7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1686
vodavoda
macrumors member

Quote:

How did you get free shipping? For me it's $30
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:46 AM   #1687
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I was only offered two options for shipping, both were Fedex $12 and $30.

Last edited by archrider; Mar 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Removed complaint until resolution is decided
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1688
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Disregard this post

Last edited by archrider; Mar 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Canceled the post
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1689
BoomstickMafia
macrumors member

I guess they are only shipping back plates for now...

My S5-CF hasn't shipped yet. :-(
BoomstickMafia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1690
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502a

I called ElementCase last Thursday and someone finally answered. I complained about the looseness of my Sector 5 and they said they would send me a replacement, actually the Ronin since that's what I want. I boxed mine out and shipped it FedEx that day. Also that day I get a notification that they shipped my replacement. Wow, very nice, I thought. They haven't even received mine back.

So, I checked the tracking number and nothing showed. No problem, it just hasn't shown up yet.

Well, today is Tuesday and I called FedEx. There is no such tracking number in their files. Nothing. ElementCase signed for mine on Friday. And they've sent me nothing in return.

Pretty screwed up way to treat people in my book.

Just saying...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1691
archrider
macrumors 6502a

In my opinion Element Case's customer service is unbelievably good.
After about four hours of submitting my issues I received this response.

Quote:
"I am very sorry about that and will have a replacement sent to you right away. Thank you and have a good day!

Best,

Cristina Rodriguez
Customer Service
Element Case"

Keep up the good work Element. This is what we buy with the big bucks.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1692
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodavoda View Post
How did you get free shipping? For me it's $30
Quote:
I was only offered two options for shipping, both were Fedex $12 and $30.
It may be due to the fact I used the coupon code Element Case sent us Sector 5 FE purchasers that paid full retail but never got their CF backplate... not sure though.

Both $12 and $30 seems quite over-the-top for a backplate. They sent mine in a padded envelope...
Munkypoo7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1693
bernardkahuna
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down zero support

Dear ELEMENT people,

A have a broken plastic part of the upper connecting part to the aluminum unit broken. It snapped and does not hold together the unit.
I keep asking for replacement for almost 2 weeks, I'm getting back a general mambo-jambo from Cristina Rodriguez
Customer Service, that I cannot get the part from you. You as a manufacturer liable to replace this 50 cents item, and I'm willing to pay for it. Can we get this done? Regards, Bernard

(FYI - 4 times I bought your products in the past 3 years!!!)
bernardkahuna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1694
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardkahuna View Post
Dear ELEMENT people,

A have a broken plastic part of the upper connecting part to the aluminum unit broken. It snapped and does not hold together the unit.
I keep asking for replacement for almost 2 weeks, I'm getting back a general mambo-jambo from Cristina Rodriguez
Customer Service, that I cannot get the part from you. You as a manufacturer liable to replace this 50 cents item, and I'm willing to pay for it. Can we get this done? Regards, Bernard

One of the polycarbonate pieces snapped? Pictures? How'd that happen? They seem extremely solid
Munkypoo7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1695
bloodninj4
macrumors member

Quote:
One of the polycarbonate pieces snapped? Pictures? How'd that happen? They seem extremely solid
polycarbonate
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1696
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodninj4 View Post
polycarbonate
What does that mean?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1697
BoomstickMafia
macrumors member

Quote:
What does that mean?
Plastic
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1698
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomstickMafia View Post
Plastic
Yes I know that. To my knowledge it is a very strong, durable, impact resistant plastic. Element case did not skimp here (maybe knockoffs did). Motorcycle helmets are polycarbonate.

Look at the comparison to other plastics in this article.

http://www.ptsllc.com/intro/polycarb_intro.aspx

Element needed s strong link that is radio transparent. This was an excellent choice.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1699
BoomstickMafia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardkahuna View Post
Dear ELEMENT people,

Pawdnah, you need to call their customer service. Not sure why you are getting no where with email, but they will not respond to you here.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1700
Brother Esau
Banned

Sorry but I would not ever entertain the notion of buying a aluminum bumper case with plastic corners for $150.00 and up regardless of how good it looks!
Brother Esau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories