Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I have a 2012 MBA Air 13 128Gb storage.

I am fine with 128 storage as I mainly use a laptop for school purposes and what not.

But if somewhere down the line I may need more memory...

1. Are the OWC SSD for MBA as good as the ones that Apple uses?

2. Would a external HD suffice and what are its disadvantages (besides having to carry it) since it isn't SSD?

3. Do you guys know of any good external HD for MBA? I'm looking to mainly store music, photos, etc.

Also, how much Gb storage should I leave free at all times to have optimum performance? About 30Gb right?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes.
2. Would a external HD suffice and what are its disadvantages (besides having to carry it) since it isn't SSD?
You can buy an external SSD or HDD.
3. Do you guys know of any good external HD for MBA? I'm looking to mainly store music, photos, etc.
Any external drive will work, as long as you can connect it.
Also, how much Gb storage should I leave free at all times to have optimum performance? About 30Gb right?
Generally speaking, it's good to leave at least 10% of your internal drive free. More is better.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Man it's so crazy to me how little space is actually usable when you think about it

128 GB SSD is what is on the box

120 GB is the actual size of the drive

20 GB is used upon first set up of Mac

You have to leave about 20-30 GB to keep SSD running smoothly

So essentially you are given about 75 GB of space that you can actually USE. You get a bit more than half of what you think you are buying. Insane

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I read on here the owc gave a MBA owner issues on the actual size and fitting of the drive.

Might want to check for that thread OP. I have the 512 apple drive so I cannot speak with any knowledge on the matter.

Yeah I saw that. I think they definitely made a mistake on his...

----------

Yes.

Generally speaking, it's good to leave at least 10% of your internal drive free. More is better.

Is there a difference? I've heard SSD is quicker but I'm not sure what they exactly mean by that.

----------

Man it's so crazy to me how little space is actually usable when you think about it

So essentially you are given about 75 GB of space that you can actually USE. You get a bit more than half of what you think you are buying. Insane

Yeah, I know! I just hope with each future update to the OS it's still 20 GB and not more.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there a difference? I've heard SSD is quicker but I'm not sure what they exactly mean by that.
Yes, a SSD is much quicker, makes no sound and has no moving parts. A HDD has a spinning disk which makes noise and has much slower read/write performance, by comparison.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Yes, a SSD is much quicker, makes no sound and has no moving parts. A HDD has a spinning disk which makes noise and has much slower read/write performance, by comparison.

Since it's external would it really be that big of a difference? Since it's going to be limited by the USB and all.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I know it's not a lot of additional storage but I use a 32GB micro USB flash drive with my 11" air. I only have the 64GB because I really didn't need much, but I figured for $40 to get an additional 50% of memory isn't a bad deal. I leave it plugged in all the time and it works perfectly.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I got the 256GB which should be plenty for me unless I decide to run windows on here as well. However, I have started thinking of picking up a flash drive as a quick, easy back up of certain files. The cost of these drives is dropping like a rock and it seems like an easy way to carry around some files without having to worry about packing an external harddrive around or sacrificing internal storage.

halledise

macrumors 68000

it's long been known that both Apple and PC makers state the unformatted capacity of their drives - formatted capacity is always a few % less

20 to 30gb of free space for an SSD drive to run smoothly? - I don't think that part of your statement is correct.
and actually initial setup of the OS X - the installed Applications, System and Library Folder should total less than 15gb - plus how many additional apps you want to install of course.
you can always delete the stock ones you are never likely to use.

and if one still ain't happy, then pick up a 500gb external HDD for $80 for the excess data.
the basic 13" Air with 128gb SSD is still fantastic value for money when compared with anything the opposition has to offer when everything's weighed up

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Thanks.

I'd aim for about 20-30GB free most of the time also.

Why?

- temporary storage space for patches
- space for OS X to use temporarily for on-the-fly file defragmentation
- space for hibernation file, swap, etc.
- some space to keep local time machine backups of files in between your regular time machine backups

Yeah, sure - you CAN fill up your disk. But you lose functionality (time machine local backups), cause problems with upgrades, etc.

This is why i believe the 64GB MBA is a total waste of time and shouldn't be sold (IMHO it only exists as a cheap entry price to up-sell to a higher model once the user is interested). 128GB is limiting enough, and for a machine that "just works" the user shouldn't be constantly paranoid about free space...

IMHO - serious use with a 128GB air (or hell, any machine with an SSD really - they're all too small for the price) means you "need" some sort of home storage (NAS) that you can keep your long term storage on so you're not constantly scrimping for storage or considering what to delete - and use the 128GB flash as short term storage for "current" data.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'd aim for about 20-30GB free most of the time also.

Why?

- temporary storage space for patches
- space for OS X to use temporarily for on-the-fly file defragmentation
- space for hibernation file, swap, etc.
- some space to keep local time machine backups of files in between your regular time machine backups

Yeah, sure - you CAN fill up your disk. But you lose functionality (time machine local backups), cause problems with upgrades, etc.

This is why i believe the 64GB MBA is a total waste of time and shouldn't be sold (IMHO it only exists as a cheap entry price to up-sell to a higher model once the user is interested). 128GB is limiting enough, and for a machine that "just works" the user shouldn't be constantly paranoid about free space...

IMHO - serious use with a 128GB air (or hell, any machine with an SSD really - they're all too small for the price) means you need some sort of home storage (NAS) that you can keep your long term storage on - and use the 128GB flash as short term storage for "current" data.
I agree with your values. Anything less than those amounts impacts real world performance which gets annoying fast. Based on my first hand experience 256GB is optimum on the minimum end of things, and I believe Apple does too. It's just a shame they charge a huge premium for it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yup.

256GB is enough to compromise a bit and have some music, movies, data, etc on your machine without constantly needing to store on external disks.

128 can be done, but it is a bit painful.

64gb is a joke :)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Can anyone explain this to me?

Look at the finder available storage.

WTH is this backup under system storage pane?

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 11.57.11 AM.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can anyone explain this to me?

Look at the finder available storage.

WTH is this backup under system storage pane?

View attachment 387688

What you are seeing these is space taken up by Time Machine's local backups. You can ignore it and OS X will manage the space and shrink it if the space is needed. If it is bothering you, you can turn Time Machine off then back on and the space will be wiped.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
What you are seeing these is space taken up by Time Machine's local backups. You can ignore it and OS X will manage the space and shrink it if the space is needed. If it is bothering you, you can turn Time Machine off then back on and the space will be wiped.

Well I'll be, learning all the time.

Thanks Weaselboy, you were 100% correct. never knew that existed.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I have a 2012 MBA Air 13 128Gb storage.

I am fine with 128 storage as I mainly use a laptop for school purposes and what not.

But if somewhere down the line I may need more memory...

Yes.

I disagree GGJstudios. It all depends on if you can get it to fit. Seems like a common problem around here.

In addition, you forgot to mention the issue of the Sandforce controller. OWC just uses the standard Sandforce firmware, whereas the Toshiba/Apple SSD uses a custom developed version of the Sandforce firmware.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459847/

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
20 to 30gb of free space for an SSD drive to run smoothly? - I don't think that part of your statement is correct.

Multiple people have stated it's true. That you should leave somewhere around that area free at all times or your SSD will experience undesirable results

and actually initial setup of the OS X - the installed Applications, System and Library Folder should total less than 15gb

No. When I first bought my 128 GB MBA the first thing I did upon set up was check how much space I had left. It said something like 99.XX out of 120.47. My MBA came with 10.8.2 so it's possible it uses more space than previous versions.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Multiple people have stated it's true. That you should leave somewhere around that area free at all times or your SSD will experience undesirable results

No. When I first bought my 128 GB MBA the first thing I did upon set up was check how much space I had left. It said something like 99.XX out of 120.47. My MBA came with 10.8.2 so it's possible it uses more space than previous versions.

Yeah same with me... 120Gb free out of the box.

Now I'm at 95 after installing MS Office and FireFox.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Whatever is minimally adequate today will soon be uselessly inadequate.

Some's good, more's better with memory and storage. An external SSD connected via USB3 is quite quick though not as fast as an internal SSD.

halledise

macrumors 68000

I think we're starting to split hairs here - like I said, if you delete the native Apps you don't use, for example GarageBand and all the loops plus maybe iMovie, etc, you'll trim that used space well down under 20gb.

My Apps take up 6.47 gb
System Folder - 6.06 gb
Library - 2.11 gb
grand turtle - less than 15 gb

my User Folder takes up the rest.

I guess the sensible outcome is to opt for a 256gb SSD in the first place then everyone can be happy ;)

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Whatever is minimally adequate today will soon be uselessly inadequate.

Some's good, more's better with memory and storage. An external SSD connected via USB3 is quite quick though not as fast as an internal SSD.

What do you mean by quick? Isn't it just storage?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I think we're starting to split hairs here - like I said, if you delete the native Apps you don't use, for example GarageBand and all the loops plus maybe iMovie, etc, you'll trim that used space well down under 20gb.

My Apps take up 6.47 gb
System Folder - 6.06 gb
Library - 2.11 gb

I guess the sensible outcome is to opt for a 256gb SSD in the first place then everyone can be happy ;)

I left iMovie and garageband on the MBA and I believe I am at 104 GB free (out of 128GB). I did however get rid of the languages and other clean up.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011

My Apps take up 6.47 gb
System Folder - 6.06 gb
Library - 2.11 gb

Could you tell me which applications you deleted? And is it recommended to keep certain native apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.