Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I'm travelling from the UK to Ireland today, is iMessage free wherever you are providing the other person has an iPhone?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If they have an iphone 4 and above. I don't believe the older iphones work with imessages as far as being free.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You'll still be charged roaming rates if you're using the 3G connection in Ireland. You'll need to use Wi-Fi for it to be completely free.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm in the US. I use iMessage to text a friend in Birmingham, England and another friend in Marybourough, Australia. It's free and I've done it on a 3GS running iOS 5 and 6. And it's still free using my iPhone 5.

Blue, you're good, green you aren't.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
Southern or Northern Ireland?

I'm in the US. I use iMessage to text a friend in Birmingham, England and another friend in Marybourough, Australia. It's free and I've done it on a 3GS running iOS 5 and 6. And it's still free using my iPhone 5.

Blue, you're good, green you aren't.

If he's going from the UK to Ireland if it uses roaming data then blue will incur a data charge. However if he is using WiFi or will be in Northern Ireland (as it's part of the UK) then there wont be a charge.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
On that note - is it possible to prevent a failed iMessage from being sent as a text? I have spent a fair bit of money having random iMessages to Australia decide to get sent as a text and cost me!

SDNikki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I'm in the US and keep trying to use iMessage with my friend in the UK and she gets charged for ones she sends but I don't (these are blue iMessages, not green text messages) ... any explanations or fixes?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If he's going from the UK to Ireland if it uses roaming data then blue will incur a data charge. However if he is using WiFi or will be in Northern Ireland (as it's part of the UK) then there wont be a charge.
Thanks. I should have mentioned that the iPhone 3GS is WiFi only and my iPhone 5 is on an unlimited data plan. Sorry!

----------

I'm in the US and keep trying to use iMessage with my friend in the UK and she gets charged for ones she sends but I don't (these are blue iMessages, not green text messages) ... any explanations or fixes?

Are you on WiFi and your friend not? See here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.