Too good to be true? MBP. - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Too good to be true? MBP.

Amazon seller selling a 15" MBP 2012 for £1,150.00.. too good to be true?

"Immaculate condition, open boxed unused, complete with original box and unused accessories, Minimum 11 months Apple warranty remaining. UK Apple reseller GBM Digital Technologies « Show less "

I could probably buy this and make a small profit... but is it too good to be true?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Amazon seller selling a 15" MBP 2012 for £1,150.00.. too good to be true?

"Immaculate condition, open boxed unused, complete with original box and unused accessories, Minimum 11 months Apple warranty remaining. UK Apple reseller GBM Digital Technologies « Show less "

I could probably buy this and make a small profit... but is it too good to be true?
Have you heard the saying before: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”? Buy at your own risk.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Steer clear.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
"If you ordered monday you run the risk of missing out as these units usually sell very quickly. We sell the units at a heavy discount as units have been opened and the warranty is -1 month."

Should I buy?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Closus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
[deleted]

Last edited by Closus; Aug 15, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Closus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Should I buy?

Yes, it's not my money you'd be risking.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closus View Post
Is "probably making a small profit" really worth risking more than 1000£?
I wouldn't risk it.
I'm not. I might buy a 15" MBP from Apple - that way I know I'll receive what I buy.

When are the retina MBP's going to be on the refurbished section?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
I'm not. I might buy a 15" MBP from Apple - that way I know I'll receive what I buy.

When are the retina MBP's going to be on the refurbished section?
I thought I saw one there once. It normally sold for $2700 and was marked down to $2400. Not exactly worth getting worked up about.

When I bought my late 2011 15 in hires antiglare MBP, Apple was selling the same model for $1800 in their refurb store. Mine was new in box from Microcenter and cost me $1600. Since you already have enough people telling you to steer clear of a deal that "sounds too good" if you are still thinking about it, why don't you investigate by looking them up online? A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) iPad mini iPhone5
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
I thought I saw one there once. It normally sold for $2700 and was marked down to $2400. Not exactly worth getting worked up about.

When I bought my late 2011 15 in hires antiglare MBP, Apple was selling the same model for $1800 in their refurb store. Mine was new in box from Microcenter and cost me $1600. Since you already have enough people telling you to steer clear of a deal that "sounds too good" if you are still thinking about it, why don't you investigate by looking them up online? A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.
Well, the unit has been opened and a month off the warranty is why it's cheaper.

" Business Name: GBM Digital Technologies
Business Type: IT Reseller
Trade Register Number: 2719704
VAT Number: GB560608842
Customer Services Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB
Business Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB"

"iClearance Store Manchester supplies a wide range of fully refurbished, open boxed items and new Apple Products to both the public and private sector. We also from time to time have ex-demonstration products as well as supplies of accessories and peripherals."

http://www.iclearancestore.com - the website.
Questions? Call 0161 605 3838

Everything seems legit.

Some of the guys details and he does have a website; is it really worth the risk?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Well, the unit has been opened and a month off the warranty is why it's cheaper.

" Business Name: GBM Digital Technologies
Business Type: IT Reseller
Trade Register Number: 2719704
VAT Number: GB560608842
Customer Services Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB
Business Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB"

"iClearance Store Manchester supplies a wide range of fully refurbished, open boxed items and new Apple Products to both the public and private sector. We also from time to time have ex-demonstration products as well as supplies of accessories and peripherals."

(link removed)www.iclearancestore.com(link removed) - the website.
Questions? Call 0161 605 3838

Everything seems legit.

Some of the guys details and he does have a website; is it really worth the risk?
Everything seems legit? Everything?
Didn't you notice the big orange disclaimer across the top of the browser when you view this guy's site?!?!?

This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.

Run away! Run away as fast as you can!

Save your money and buy your Mac from Apple when you can afford it.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) iPad mini iPhone5
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
Everything seems legit? Everything?
Didn't you notice the big orange disclaimer across the top of the browser when you view this guy's site?!?!?

This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.

Run away! Run away as fast as you can!

Save your money and buy your Mac from Apple when you can afford it.
Ugh... why do scammers exist?

Funny, I asked him for the serial number and he didn't reply (well he did... eventually). There's another cheap 15" from top electricals... though that sender did send me photos of a 15" MBP... but it could be anyone's 15" MBP right?

"Yes iclearancestore is not fully operational but if you read the the about us or type the address into google you will see iclearancestore trades from a company called GBM digital technologies who are an authorised reseller.

If you also look at our rating and feedback you will see we have sold alot on amazon."

The seller said that when I brought the issue up... thoughts?

"Im afraid not the office is now closed, as you can see we are an Apple authorised reseller so cannot false advertise.

I am now unable to answer any further questions until Monday. If you want to purchase the item please feel free to buy and we will process on Monday or if you are still not 100% confident in our ability to advertise the unit accordingly I would suggest purchasing a new Macbook pro at full retail price."

Why won't he give me the serial number?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |

Last edited by Liquinn; Jan 4, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Ugh... why do scammers exist?

Funny, I asked him for the serial number and he didn't reply (well he did... eventually). There's another cheap 15" from top electricals... though that sender did send me photos of a 15" MBP... but it could be anyone's 15" MBP right?

"Yes iclearancestore is not fully operational but if you read the the about us or type the address into google you will see iclearancestore trades from a company called GBM digital technologies who are an authorised reseller.

If you also look at our rating and feedback you will see we have sold alot on amazon."

The seller said that when I brought the issue up... thoughts?

"Im afraid not the office is now closed, as you can see we are an Apple authorised reseller so cannot false advertise.

I am now unable to answer any further questions until Monday. If you want to purchase the item please feel free to buy and we will process on Monday or if you are still not 100% confident in our ability to advertise the unit accordingly I would suggest purchasing a new Macbook pro at full retail price."

Why won't he give me the serial number?
Perhaps he's not a scammer. Perhaps it's just some shop who is just starting to get their web site set up. Is this who you want to send over a thousand pounds of your hard earned money to? Again I say wait until you can afford to buy from a reputable source. And I guarantee you a reputable source could answer your questions before Monday when you are spending as much money as they are asking for this thing. It's time to let this idea go and focus on getting a computer not the promise of a computer or a computer that might turn out to be stolen or a computer that might not qualify for Applecare for some reason. 11 months of warranty left really bothers me. A lot. Get the real thing from a real store and stop wasting your time following a (possibly) false trail. If you decide to send these guys your money and you wind up with a MBP with 11 months left on the warranty then you got lucky. I don't deal in luck when it comes to money but if you choose to do so, it's your money not mine.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) iPad mini iPhone5
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:27 PM   #13
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
OP, I wouldn't do it as I said earlier. However if you pay for it through eBay, with paypal and make sure to use a credit card and not a direct bank transfer or debit card, you would be pretty safe. If you don't get the item dispute through eBay/Paypal. If they don't help, just dispute with credit card company and they will help you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.
I think the OP is in Europe and not that States so not sure what other options they might have.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:50 PM   #14
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
OP, I wouldn't do it as I said earlier. However if you pay for it through eBay, with paypal and make sure to use a credit card and not a direct bank transfer or debit card, you would be pretty safe. If you don't get the item dispute through eBay/Paypal. If they don't help, just dispute with credit card company and they will help you.





I think the OP is in Europe and not that States so not sure what other options they might have.
Understood. BB was in Europe for a while. Of course Frys and MC are not over there but I had hoped the OP could find similar large stores rather than pursue that rather sketchy source they have been focused on for most of this thread. I think consumer protections in the UK are stronger than they are here so the whole credit card dispute thing might not be necessary. Still, I'd rather not buy something as complicated and expensive as a MBP from "just some guy".

I noticed on that web site they said they accepted paypal but when you clicked on it all you got was a popup describing what paypal is. Paypal buyer protection mainly applies to transactions on ebay. I don't know how much protection you get buying outside of ebay so even if the paypal on that site really worked, I'd be reluctant to buy from them.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) iPad mini iPhone5
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:23 AM   #15
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Amazon seller selling a 15" MBP 2012 for £1,150.00.. too good to be true?

"Immaculate condition, open boxed unused, complete with original box and unused accessories, Minimum 11 months Apple warranty remaining. UK Apple reseller GBM Digital Technologies « Show less "

I could probably buy this and make a small profit... but is it too good to be true?
IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE......CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

From past experience, I have found that 'immaculate' means different things to different people, and you must consider the likelihood that it would be unused if the box is open. Since you don't get to 'inspect' this laptop first-hand until they have your payment, I would think long and hard before sending my money. Personally, I wouldn't, but if you feel comfortable in taking the risk, trust your gut and go for it.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Also bear in mind, just because those are the details he's posted on eBay, doesn't mean they're actually his. They could be posting the address of a genuine reseller when they aren't one.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
Also bear in mind, just because those are the details he's posted on eBay, doesn't mean they're actually his. They could be posting the address of a genuine reseller when they aren't one.
I guess I'll never know. Good point though. :P
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is too good to be true plix Buying Tips and Advice 5 Apr 9, 2014 01:31 AM
OS-neutral: Is this too good to be true? skippymac Mac and PC Games 17 Nov 29, 2013 10:09 PM
Too good to be true or a good deal crzdcolombian Buying Tips and Advice 1 Sep 19, 2013 10:53 PM
Too Good to be True? Squilly Buying Tips and Advice 3 Nov 25, 2012 02:15 PM
Too Good to Be True? thunderclap Buying Tips and Advice 13 Aug 14, 2012 04:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC