Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
mustgroove
macrumors regular

Efficient VNC for use over the internet

I'm going to be travelling overseas soon and I'm looking for the most efficient (i.e. lowest bandwidth, lowest latency) VNC solution for remote desktopping into my Mac Pro from the road.

The built-in screen sharing in Mountain Lion (and every OS X version from my experience) is a little laggy and tough to use over the internet, it's more suited for use over a LAN... I'm aware of Chicken of the VNC as an alternative solution but is there any specific client anyone is aware of for this purpose?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
mustgroove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Sgtarky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
I'm going to be travelling overseas soon and I'm looking for the most efficient (i.e. lowest bandwidth, lowest latency) VNC solution for remote desktopping into my Mac Pro from the road.

The built-in screen sharing in Mountain Lion (and every OS X version from my experience) is a little laggy and tough to use over the internet, it's more suited for use over a LAN... I'm aware of Chicken of the VNC as an alternative solution but is there any specific client anyone is aware of for this purpose?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
teamviewer
Sgtarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

They all have quality adjustments. Overall, VNC (which is what Screen Sharing uses) is a very efficient protocol.

Try reducing your quality settings for less lag.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

I use logmein.com to take over computers. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it works great for me.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5
rctlr
macrumors 6502

I use RealVNC for remote connection to my Mac Mini, within the local network, I just use Screen Sharing.
rctlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion