Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I'm going to be travelling overseas soon and I'm looking for the most efficient (i.e. lowest bandwidth, lowest latency) VNC solution for remote desktopping into my Mac Pro from the road.

The built-in screen sharing in Mountain Lion (and every OS X version from my experience) is a little laggy and tough to use over the internet, it's more suited for use over a LAN... I'm aware of Chicken of the VNC as an alternative solution but is there any specific client anyone is aware of for this purpose?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
I'm going to be travelling overseas soon and I'm looking for the most efficient (i.e. lowest bandwidth, lowest latency) VNC solution for remote desktopping into my Mac Pro from the road.

The built-in screen sharing in Mountain Lion (and every OS X version from my experience) is a little laggy and tough to use over the internet, it's more suited for use over a LAN... I'm aware of Chicken of the VNC as an alternative solution but is there any specific client anyone is aware of for this purpose?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

teamviewer

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
They all have quality adjustments. Overall, VNC (which is what Screen Sharing uses) is a very efficient protocol.

Try reducing your quality settings for less lag.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I use logmein.com to take over computers. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it works great for me.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I use RealVNC for remote connection to my Mac Mini, within the local network, I just use Screen Sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.