Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Vuddha
macrumors member

Looking for USB 3.0 7 port HUB

I have been looking for a 7 Port USB Hub for my new IMAC 27" /3.4 i7/ 680 MX/ 32G/ 768 SSD/ I found TWO 7 Port that seams to have been upgraded. They both use the new VIA VL812 Chipset and say that they are compatible with Mac. Check these out and let me know what you think:

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port
http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPHUB-B8U

AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adapt...=ICHMS9CNTZ9X2

4 1/2 Stars with 123 customer reviews

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 model [Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port]
has the new VIA VL812 Chipset and is the only one, including the 4 port models, that tells about the update.

System Requirements
Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac OS X
* Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users may experience unstable connections due to microchip incompatibility. Where possible, we recommend upgrading your OS X to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later.
If you encounter other performance concerns, please contact our customer support with your operating system information. We can then provide guidance on how to upgrade your hub's microchip firmware.

Note
1. The charging port (5V 2A) is designed for charging your mobile devices only and will not support data transfers.
2. 2.4 GHz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboards and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.
3. For maximum performance, connected devices should not exceed a combined current of 7A. Otherwise, output current may become unstable or disconnect entirely.
4. Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks.
5. Please note that Apple now provides an official update for MacBook Air and MacBook Pro computers purchased in June 2012. This update improves USB 3.0 performance and compatibility and can be downloaded from the official Apple website as "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0." Please contact our support team if you cannot locate this update.

and

Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X Seven-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Four-Amp Power Adapter (VIA chipset)
http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7-81x

AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ugabltechno-20

5 Stars with 27 customer reviews

Features
Compatible with USB 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1 hosts and devices
Features the latest VIA VL812(1) USB 3.0 hub chipset for maximum compatibility and performance
Premium four-amp power adapter allows USB 3.0 devices to draw current at the USB 3.0 maximum of 900 milliamps
Supports USB 3.0 SuperSpeed transfer rates (5Gbps), USB 2.0 Hi-Speed rates (480Mbps), and USB 1.1 Full/Low Speed rates (12/1.5 Mbps)
No driver installation required: Works with Windows, Mac, Linux, and other hosts
LED status indicators for each port in use

Also had link to OS X Mid-2012 MacBook USB and Graphics update

OS X Mid-2012 MacBook USB and Graphics update
Posted on 13. Nov, 2012 by Jeff Everett in USB3-SATA-U3
Good news Mac owners! Apple has released a graphics and USB focused update just for late model, Mid 2012 MacBook models including “all Mac notebooks released in June 2012.” This update “includes graphics performance and reliability enhancements and improves compatibility with some USB devices.”
As with any OS X update, simply choose updates in the App Store or choose Software Update from the Apple menu. Once all prerequisites are installed (which include 10.8.2), the update will appear.
Details on the update are rather sparse at the moment, however initial findings on the 11 inch Air I use as a primary work laptop are positive. After installing the update, some U3 Communicator HD docks which I had previously identified as defective actually worked consistently and at normal speeds.
I’ve also noticed better reliability on the arrangement of the quad display panel I use with the tiny Air and a set of our DisplayLink-based UGA-165 adapters. Previously I could virtually never reboot and have my display arrangement persist, but now that seems to have been corrected- however this probably has more to do with the unusual number of hubs and devices I go through in day to day equipment testing and the constant swapping of ports that comes with it.
One frustrating issue that persists is when an USB storage volume unexpectedly disconnects, finder will freeze- immediately if you instruct it to eject the improperly disconnected volume. Forcing a reboot corrects the issue, however the system is largely unresponsive until the reboot which of course could result in data loss.
We’d love to hear your input on how this update is affecting your Plugable devices on those shiny new MacBooks!
MacRumors of course has a thread on the topic with very active discussion: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1486234

If anyone has either of these and has tested it let me know.

I may be careful about purchasing one of the other products unless they have been upgraded and say what is is compatible with.
Vuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
sjhwilkes
macrumors newbie

I have the second one, just got it a week ago. It's working great for me - have 2 USB 3 drives, plus a keyboard, webcam, scanner, speakers and a printer all hooks up to it.
sjhwilkes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I have this usb 3.0 hub. has alot of ports and is working good.

http://www.amazon.com/Oct-2012-Upgra...ds=usb+3.0+hub
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Neither of these supposedly work properly (even with the latest firmware) with either the Macbook Pro Retina or the 2012 Mac Mini (I have the latter and I could really use a USB 3.0 hub at this point since I'm already out of ports without swapping something out and a USB 2.0 hub defeats the point of USB 3.0).

One site I looked at suggested the problem is now on Apple's side with those two models, but it didn't specify what the problem is (i.e. it suggests the same hubs work fine with all other Macs that have USB 3.0). I guess I'm just lucky that way.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:12 PM   #5
jtara
macrumors 65816

I'm a mobile developer, and wanted a hub I could mount on the wall, connect several devices, and charge as well.

Most USB hubs will only provide 0.5A for charging, so they will charge an iPhone slowly, and an iPad not at all. (iPad will not charge with less than 1.1A).

I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-I.../dp/B009AT5T1W

It's not cheap - a bit over $100. But it's metal, has mounting ears, 7 ports, and will provide up to 1.5A for charging on each port.

Now, for a bit of bad news:

- doesn't come with a power supply. This is because it's an industrial product. In most cases, systems these will be installed in (think metal cabinet in an auto plant) will have a suitable power bus.

- It works on any voltage from 7 to 30 volts. The higher the better. I tested it first on a bench supply, and then got a 50W universal laptop supply for about $30 at Fry's and set it to 20V. (It regulates this down to 5V of course.) If you're really going to draw 1.5A on every port, get a 75W supply.

This is actually a good thing. Most USB hubs come with inadequate power supplies. Better to let you choose your own.

- It will not charge an iPad while connected to your computer. Well, OK, it will, sort of. If you plug the iPad in when not connected to the computer it will start charging. If you then plug in your computer, it will continue to charge. (Should have checked the bench supply meter to see if it continues to charge at the same rate, but it has to be at least 1.1A...) And you can still access it with iTunes, XCode, etc.

I have some hope that there is some software that will enable charging without having to unplug and replug the computer.

- It will charge an iPhone at full rate. (I did check this with the bench supply meter, and did the math.. had to crank the voltage down to read the current accurately with only one port connected.) Presumably while the computer is connected. I haven't seen the problem with iPads where they will not start a charge if the computer is connected. But, then, they only need 0.5A to charge, which any USB hub will supply.

A Samsung Galaxy Tab or Galaxy Tab 2 will charge while the computer is plugged in, and will connect to the computer as well.

Using this with a 20-ft Accel UltraRun USB 3.0 active cable. But haven't tried with any actual USB 3 devices.

The computer is a 2012 Mac Mini.

Update: So, I have 6 devices on charge. Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab2, iPad 1, new iPad, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4. If I plug in the computer, it sees everything but the iPads.

Last edited by jtara; Apr 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
iWantAMac
macrumors 6502

How about this from Satechi?

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/com...port-usb-3-hub

As long as the quality is ok. And the controller - anyone know how the Genesys Logic GL3520 is compared to the more common preferable chips?
iWantAMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
The Anker 10-port hub is still the best looking of the bunch.
Thumb resize.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8
anarti
macrumors regular

I just bought Anker 10port Mac Style usb 3.0 hub after reading reviews.

It looks a bit odd but it is aluminium style instead of the plastic and has powerful power adapter.
anarti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
jtara
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarti View Post
I just bought Anker 10port Mac Style usb 3.0 hub after reading reviews.
Standard 900mAh max. if that matters to you. Won't charge an iPad, whether the hub is connected to computer or not.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
I have this usb 3.0 hub. has alot of ports and is working good.

http://www.amazon.com/Oct-2012-Upgra...ds=usb+3.0+hub
+1 for this one. Works awesome.
johnnnw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:53 AM   #11
Robalb
macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 21.5 late 2012 (iMac13,1) running OS 10.8.4. I have just bought an Anker (Uspeed) usb 3.0 - 4 port powered hub.

It works great with all the usb 1 and usb 2 peripherals I have but the only USB 3 items – both hard disks demount at odd moments – such as in the middle of a file xfer or opening the disk window. This leads to a corrupted disk and requires erasing and reformatting. Althernatively when using the disk the system will report error code -50 and do nothing.

Both disks work and have worked perfectly when other ported through an usb 2 hub or alternatively through the imac usb 3 port.

After reading AWMarine in the Apple forum discussions comments about his tests with different usb 3.0 hubs I have concluded that Anker is the best of the hubs available and that it appears that all the USB 3.0 hubs do not work consistently with the latest macs. So I have decided to return the hub and wait until apple sort out what appears to be their problem with the usb 3 implementation.

I must recommend Anker on their support - they offered a refund on the hub I purchased without quibbling, they also said
'According to our tech team, there is a bug of the latest iOS which conducts a incompatibility with our hub (VIA 812 chipset). Chipset manufacturer is reporting this to Apple, we will need to see the progress later'

I would love to hear from anyone running the most recent OS on a late 2012 mac if they have an USB3 hub that works with hard drives.
Robalb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:25 PM   #12
jtara
macrumors 65816

You have to be careful about cable length - USB3 is more sensitive to cable length than USB2. And I'd avoid the cheap no-name Chinese cables.

While the maximum cable length for USB3 is not specified, the estimated maximum length for high-speed applications is 3 meters.

USB2 specifies a maximum cable length of 5 meters.

You can get USB3 active cables if you need extended length.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #13
webworks415
macrumors regular

I just ordered this Anker 7 Port hub, and it has 2 charging ports as well. Alot of 3.0 hubs I have seen don't have a sleek design, but this one is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Release-Anker%.../dp/B00B7GAE98
webworks415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

I hope it works. It seems most of these hubs have issues with Apple's USB 3.0 ports for whatever reason unknown.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:49 AM   #15
GabyT
macrumors newbie

I would recomend this HooToo USB 3.0 Hub.
http://www.amazon.com/HT-UH006-Super...dp/B00DKOVVR4/
I have got one.
GabyT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Have this one, after returning the 4 port one from Anker. Thinks it matches the macs the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7_port_usb_hub_white_nocables_angle_2_web.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	428529  
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #17
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Have this one, after returning the 4 port one from Anker. Thinks it matches the macs the best.
looks nice That was one of the ones I was considering
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar View Post
looks nice That was one of the ones I was considering
Its very aesthetically pleasing, but know that it cannot charge an ipad.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:46 PM   #19
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Its very aesthetically pleasing, but know that it cannot charge an ipad.
can it do an iPhone?

can you link me to it? I cant seem to find the product page
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #20
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar View Post
can it do an iPhone?

can you link me to it? I cant seem to find the product page
pretty much anything can charge an iphone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:47 PM   #21
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

thanks
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:31 PM   #22
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That one would be even better if they had the power and host USB cable come out the back instead of the side
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:35 PM   #23
zipur
macrumors 6502

Any update? i see no reason to get a 3.0 hub that can't charge my iPad, whats the use? So does anyone have a hub which can charge an IPad and is 3.0?
zipur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:39 AM   #24
prupani
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webworks415 View Post
I just ordered this Anker 7 Port hub, and it has 2 charging ports as well. Alot of 3.0 hubs I have seen don't have a sleek design, but this one is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Release-Anker%.../dp/B00B7GAE98
I just ordered this one for my 2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina - I wish to connect two USB 3.0 Hard drives and one 2.0 Hard drive along with my iPhone, iPad, and Kindle and some USB 3.0 flash drives.

Please tell me you're happy with it and that its a good purchase?
prupani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:09 PM   #25
TimothyB
macrumors 6502a

EDIT: Thought this model wasn't in the first post because I clicked the wrong link.

I just ordered the Plugable USB 3.0 7 Port hub, arriving today.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Alumi...ugable+usb+3.0

28 reviews, 5 stars, many of are Mac users.

Didn't care about looks. But it's not that bad since it has the USB ports on top, and angled. Plus the power supply and USB cable are on the same side. I mention that since that [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Aluminum-Chipset-Firmware-Certified/dp/B00D7P6176/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383951772&sr=1-9&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0[/URL] may look the best, until you see it with cable sticking out each end.

Not sure about how it handles charging iPhones and iPads, but they have a deal where if you buy this hub, you can get their 1A power usb adapter for $2 each. Not sure if it can supply full power for an iPad, but could also be handy on the go to for tricky USB ports with USB-Thunderbolt cables.

I had to get this for my external USB 3.0 drive and keyboard and mouse used on a Early 2013 rMBP 15'. I was planning to use my Dell 30" USB 3 hub, but when you power the monitor off, it kills the USB ports too.

Last edited by TimothyB; Nov 8, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
TimothyB is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals