Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I actually needed to buy an iPhone 5 for my little brother and although I attempted to get one at Wal-Mart, their mobile service section was closed at 9 PM, apparently I came like 5 minutes late to order one, so I never bothered again.

Since it was getting closer to Christmas, I assumed that Wal-Mart would no longer have the iPhone in stock and so I went to Best Buy instead. I also didn't want to put up with any of the Wal-Mart staff. You guys think Best Buy's staff is dumb? You should see Wal-Mart. They're a bunch of uncaring bastards. Every single time my little brother wants to get a game from Wal-Mart because it's cheaper, they take ****ing forever to get someone to get that damn key to unlock the doors and get me that stickin' game.

At Best Buy, I grab it, go to the cashier, pay for it and I'm on my way. If I do have to put up with the glass doors, they'll always call someone to get it for me almost immediately.

But yeah, I decided to go for the $150 price at Best Buy instead of the $127 price at Wal-Mart since I didn't want to put up with Wal-Mart to be honest with you. $23 ain't worth putting up with Wal-Mart to be honest with you. >>'

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
some of you amazon fans should read up on how badly amazon treats their warehouse workers. like making them work in 100 degree heat with no AC

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Wish amazon would put BB out of business already.

Then where would YOU go to check out, try out, handle, ask questions about the product in question before you order it from Amazon? Brick and mortar stores have become showrooms for online outfits like Amazon. If the retail stores go away what will customers do? Amazon's returns would skyrocket in my opinion, eventually causing higher prices. Right now Amazon is getting a free ride from Best Buy in terms of marketing and physical stores.

wvmb

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
You're on the list now!

All so Americans can believe they are saving a lot, when most research has shown the overall savings don't exist as people buy more with the "savings" they believe they are earning. We have let this corporation strong arm our nation, bully other companies and run small private businesses out as they have the cash reserves to buy 1,000,000 Bic pens at a lower bulk price compared to a small business that doesn't have the cash reserve for such a large purchase.

Ask yourself, are you really saving money at Walmart and Target (odds are, you're not)? Is it worth the cost of selling your country and soul to a corporate giant? Soon, you may not have a choice.

Be careful man, the Tea Party may one day take over... Interfere with the right of a big corporation to crap all over everyone, will you? Actually, none of the parties here are much better, so now we're all likely screwed.

I hate the idea of Walmart too, but I've given up fighting it. In my small town, which is not wealthy enough or doesn't have the right demographics to attract the higher end grocery stores, Walmart now has the best meat, fruit and veggies in town, when the farmers markets are not running. Scared the crap out of me when I first came here, but its true.

Look around, its not only Walmart, its people in general who are driving this. Its now gotten popular to disparage "Made in China" crap, but China is not the problem, people wanting to pay next to nothing for goods and services is. Look at GM for example, better recently but for many years the poster child around the world for Made in America crap, simply because nobody drove them to be better for a very long time. If people would pay more and/or hold corporations to a higher standard, manufacturers would tell their factories (here or in China) to make a better product. And yes, I know that the GM situation is different, but the underlying point is the same, people driving and allowing corporations (and unions) to behave badly.

My $0.02.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
I was in a Best Buy yesterday just looking around and I am befuddled they still allow DirecTV reps to harass customers inside the store.

"Did you hear about our promotion?"
"No, what's that?"
"We can save you 40% on your cable bill..."
"Go away!"

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
$23 ain't worth putting up with Wal-Mart to be honest with you. >>'

Apparently, for some it is worth selling themselves, sadly. I guess a few cents here and there in their weekly or monthly allowance means the difference between eating and starving. I find this ironic on a website that sells the most expensive devices and computers on the market. I have a sense, some are just complaining for the sake of complaining. Sell your self to Walmart, in the end, you're putting money to a corporation that is putting their competition out of business, thereby increasing their market dominance, followed by increased prices of goods in area's they only supply said goods, increased profits, and the game continues.

Last edited:

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Best Buy has merit in this complain but people here just dont care because its Best Buy. Like someone said its the flavor of the month to dislike them.

Best Buy is not perfect but in my view they are the best of whats out there (take that in any way you like). Amazon is nice for some things but very impractical on other. When i need appliances i would be insane to buy something like a fridge or range online when i can get the same item for hundreds less than amazon getting an open item at Best Buy not to mention Best Buy has the best repair service ( out of whats out there).

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I don't understand what is happening becausing checking stock of other stores seems to be the proper way to do it. If the other stores don't have stock then you couldn't get it at that price anyway, and you're just taking advantage of best buy's inventory and/or convenience of location to obtain your item. Doesn't anyone else feel this makes sense?

If Wal-mart was more convenient and had stock, wouldn't I just buy it there anyway?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Most times, they cannot get through to the store in question (because the other store is too busy and won't answer their phones), or they get through, and find out that the other stores are out of stock.

Surprised the other stores are telling their stock over the phone. It's a classic trick to say yes you have it but you can't hold it or sell it over the phone and then when the cx gets there its sold out, but this other more expensive then etc. it's a bait and switch but it can rarely to never be proven so stores still do it

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't see how that particular Loss Leader is any different from any other Loss Leader. It is the legal version of Bait and Switch or at the very least completely designed to get you in the door to buy other things. "Door Busters" come around every thanksgiving with VERY limited stock advertizing huge discounts. Once again, how is this any different from the same practices that almost all retail companies employ?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
A very common practice which is killing the brick and mortar golf industry. Everybody loves to go play with stuff, give it a demo and see what they like...then run online to save a few bucks.

Or even worse, march into the store who has to pay all that overhead and demand they match the price of somebody who doesn't.

And like BB, they complain about the lack of knowledgable salespeople, even though they have ZERO interest in paying a penny extra to cover the cost.

Consumers all want Amazon pricing with Nordstrom service.

Yes they do! But maybe the B&M people need to have a stronger on-line presence so they can compete on both ends?

This is where Best Buy Fails.... they should recognize the purpose of their stores, the competition on-line, and play well on both ends. I wouldn't mind paying a little premium to buy in the store and take it home today, but most of the time the price difference is large (i.e. $100+) and Best Buy just is out of the ball park. Even compared to other B&M resellers down the street.

BTW.... I know this affects other industries as well. I know myself, I always look on-line (often while in a store) when shopping for any big ticket item to see if I can get it cheaper. Just did this with a crystal chandelier I wanted... $1,000 in the store, $200 on the internet. Guess who got the sale?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Be careful man, the Tea Party may one day take over... Interfere with the right of a big corporation to crap all over everyone, will you? Actually, none of the parties here are much better, so now we're all likely screwed.

I hate the idea of Walmart too, but I've given up fighting it. In my small town, which is not wealthy enough or doesn't have the right demographics to attract the higher end grocery stores, Walmart now has the best meat, fruit and veggies in town, when the farmers markets are not running. Scared the crap out of me when I first came here, but its true.

Look around, its not only Walmart, its people in general who are driving this. Its now gotten popular to disparage "Made in China" crap, but China is not the problem, people wanting to pay next to nothing for goods and services is. Look at GM for example, better recently but for many years the poster child around the world for Made in America crap, simply because nobody drove them to be better for a very long time. If people would pay more and/or hold corporations to a higher standard, manufacturers would tell their factories (here or in China) to make a better product. And yes, I know that the GM situation is different, but the underlying point is the same, people driving and allowing corporations (and unions) to behave badly.

My $0.02.

Exactly. Point on the money (sorry, couldn't resist). It all comes down to each and every one of us, and the choices we collectively make. I feel as frustrated as you, and I'm sorry you've given up, I've been there. There's nothing wrong with shopping there, just balance it off with shopping and supporting other businesses, especially locally owned. AmEx has a great program recognizing small businesses. Yes, ironic from AmEx, but it's making a difference.

attila

macrumors 6502a
I find it funny that people trust going to a place like Best Buy or Walmart to buy high-quality goods like iPhones or TVs in the first place!

"I'd like a bag of carrots, two litres of milk, an iPhone 5, and a 450 grams of mince meat, please"

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
In Canada over the holidays, you could get a 16GB iPhone 5 for $79. I picked up a 32GB for $179.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I find it funny that people trust going to a place like Best Buy or Walmart to buy high-quality goods like iPhones or TVs in the first place!

"I'd like a bag of carrots, two litres of milk, an iPhone 5, and a 450 grams of mince meat, please"

God, I miss London. As a former dual citizen, I can naturalize quickly. Tempting :)

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
some of you amazon fans should read up on how badly amazon treats their warehouse workers. like making them work in 100 degree heat with no AC

Most warehouses I've been in do not have AC unless the product requires temperature control.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Good job Walmart. If BB ****s around and complains, they deserve to go out of business. They are basically the only big box electronics store left. Their only competition is Walmart/Target these days. If they don't match them, they're going out of biz fast.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
They have become a showcase for people to look and see the products and then buy them online or somewhere else cheaper.

Exactly this. There may be some small moments where buying a product from Best Buy is an advantage to me, but most of the time I am there to grope the products in person and see if I like them, and/or compare prices.

f1rd720

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Why didn't BB call Wal-Mart?

Why didn't the cashier at Best Buy call a Wal-Mart to make sure they had the product in stock and if they didn't, not match the price? I know that one of my local Best Buy stores that I go to will actually call Target when I try to do a price match that saves me $2 on a Blu-ray dvd.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Why didn't the cashier at Best Buy call a Wal-Mart to make sure they had the product in stock and if they didn't, not match the price? I know that one of my local Best Buy stores that I go to will actually call Target when I try to do a price match that saves me $2 on a Blu-ray dvd.

Exactly - It seems like a retailer go out retailed. End of story. Asking the legal system to step in an cover your faults is silly.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I was in a Best Buy yesterday just looking around and I am befuddled they still allow DirecTV reps to harass customers inside the store.

"Did you hear about our promotion?"
"No, what's that?"
"We can save you 40% on your cable bill..."
"Go away!"

I learned a long time ago the easiest way to get rid of anyone hocking anything is to tell them you already have it.

With DirecTV thell them you have it already and that you'd like the 40% too. Or tell them you have it but it sucks when it rains.

shakes.holt

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Goodie for you, but many other people do not have that luxury.

I happen to like Walmart a lot, and shop there regularly. In my view, they sell good products at low prices to people who are trying to stretch a dollar in this lousy economy, and today that's nearly everyone. There may be an instance or two of "sharp business practices", but by and large, their volume buying power allows them to provide lower prices to their customers.

Walmart also provides many good jobs to the local community. I never understood people who protest a new Walmart store being opened. Despite the demagougary by some, there are always many more applicants than positions available at Walmart. The jobs they provide pay decent wages, health benefits, and even have college savings plans. Not a bad gig if you've got a family, especially with unemployment figures just listed today at 7.8% overall and over 11% for those aged 18-29.

While I understand your opinion, there are secondary effects to these decisions. Wal Marts practices actually create barriers to entry for other buisnesses from opening up. Less competition = higher margins and higher prices to the consumer. They will lose money long enough to prevent new competition from entering the market. They maintain their margins and market share through these measures. They have also helped to drive a lot of manufacturing out of the US as part of globalization (see post #54 as 1 of many examples). When one does not have much excess money to consider the secondary effects of their decisions, it is understandable as to why they would support Wal Mart. Unfortunately the people who have the most to gain by not supporting large businesses with similar tactics are the ones who are being hurt (LONG TERM) by these business tactics, but in their minds they can't afford not to support. I am in no way a Wal-Mart basher but want people to understand that there are secondary and long term consequences to everyones purchasing decisions. Americans vote every day with their pocketbook and then complain about the effects of their decisions. Understanding the power of you $$ vote is important - Vote responsibly!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.