Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
Ok good to hear thats gonna be exciting! So what are you up to?
The moderators would get up my arse if I started a chatroom

so pm me if you want to chat
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:40 PM   #27
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
I actually might be interested in parts, how much? And i dont understand what you mean with opening it. Agreed, it took some searching for a niceish one. Im not planning on upgrading the hard drive till next summer, its gonna be an owc ssd. Im not planning on getting that big of one because of the price but if i do thanks in advance.
Oh, I wouldn't charge you anything for the parts. Just shipping. The parts are just sitting there on a desk in one big pile after I pulled them all trying to get the LCD out. Screws, cables, etc, etc. Ask and if I have it and it fits your model I'll ship it.

As to the lid opening. You mentioned you're worried about stressing the hinges (or did I read that wrong). I'm just saying grab close to the hinge on the left side with your left hand and open the lid with your right. Most people when they open the lid on a laptop grab the front bottom with their left hand and the lid with the right hand.

I noticed when I did that with my old TiBook it would put a large amount of stress on the left hinge. That's where the crack in the case started from.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #28
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
The moderators would get up my arse if I started a chatroom
so pm me if you want to chat
Ok i will
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:49 PM   #29
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
why do I have a feeling that I just created a future serial killer
I dunno. Maybe you just reawakened one with a past?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:50 PM   #30
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Oh, I wouldn't charge you anything for the parts. Just shipping. The parts are just sitting there on a desk in one big pile after I pulled them all trying to get the LCD out. Screws, cables, etc, etc. Ask and if I have it and it fits your model I'll ship it.

As to the lid opening. You mentioned you're worried about stressing the hinges (or did I read that wrong). I'm just saying grab close to the hinge on the left side with your left hand and open the lid with your right. Most people when they open the lid on a laptop grab the front bottom with their left hand and the lid with the right hand.

I noticed when I did that with my old TiBook it would put a large amount of stress on the left hinge. That's where the crack in the case started from.
Ok thanks and do you have any rubber feet for it? And ill try that for now on thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:55 PM   #31
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Ok thanks and do you have any rubber feet for it? And ill try that for now on thanks.
Alas, the rubber feet were one of the first things to go. There's one, on the side where the battery is, but I don't know if digging it out would destroy it or not. But that's the only one. The rest are gone.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:59 PM   #32
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

TIbook G4

Wow! Impressive! Its hard to find a TI Powerbook G4 in such great shape these days. I also noticed the optical drive is on the side rather than in the front as is with my PB G4 1.67 DLSD. I am baffled as to why Apple made the aluminum models like that?

Not that it doesn't bother me, but it would have been nice if the optical drive were on the side, rather than in the front. Also, what's more intriguing is there are 2 USB ports side by side, where as on my PB, there in one on each side.

A bad design for the aluminum variants if you ask me.. But nonetheless, the DLSD is a great machine and still quite useful + speedy. Now if someone could take the DLSD in all of its glory and put it into a TI G4 PowerBook shell that would be great!
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:04 AM   #33
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
Wow! Impressive! Its hard to find a TI Powerbook G4 in such great shape these days. I also noticed the optical drive is on the side rather than in the front as is with my PB G4 1.67 DLSD. I am baffled as to why Apple made the aluminum models like that?

Not that it doesn't bother me, but it would have been nice if the optical drive were on the side, rather than in the front. Also, what's more intriguing is there are 2 USB ports side by side, where as on my PB, there in one on each side.

A bad design for the aluminum variants if you ask me.. But nonetheless, the DLSD is a great machine and still quite useful + speedy. Now if someone could take the DLSD in all of its glory and put it into a TI G4 PowerBook shell that would be great!
I'm a little confused. the TiBooks have the DVD drives in the front, just like the AlBooks. The only AlBook that's different is the 12" PB and that's on the side because of space.

The TiBooks have also always had two USB ports in the back.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:07 AM   #34
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post

Apple's older designs have always attracted me, its quite beautiful. And not to hate on the aluminum design but i do honestly think the aluminum would look even better if it were just the thinner version of the titanium. I mean keep all the new technology but then put it inv the titanium instead of aluminum.

----------

Quote:
I'm a little confused. the TiBooks have the DVD drives in the front, just like the AlBooks. The only AlBook that's different is the 12" PB and that's on the side because of space.

The TiBooks have also always had two USB ports in the back.
In his post he had a typo cause later in the post he talks about the ti having it in front. And i don't know what you mean by the usb ports.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:08 AM   #35
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

I also thought that the ti design looked better
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:14 AM   #36
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
And i don't know what you mean by the usb ports.
He mentioned he was intrigued that the USB ports were side by side. On the AlBooks you get two, but they are on opposite sides, right and left (not sure about the 12", but I think they are both on the same side).

The TiBooks have always had the two USB ports in the back.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:20 AM   #37
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
He mentioned he was intrigued that the USB ports were side by side. On the AlBooks you get two, but they are on opposite sides, right and left (not sure about the 12", but I think they are both on the same side).

The TiBooks have always had the two USB ports in the back.
I have an albook 12 inch and both are on the same side
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 AM   #38
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Oh ok i see now.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:28 AM   #39
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have an albook 12 inch and both are on the same side
You West Coast guys are making me dizzy. And sleepy. Good thing I'm off tomorrow. Otherwise I'd need to hire a teenager or two to spike my milk shake with sedatives to get me off the 'Net.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:31 AM   #40
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
You West Coast guys are making me dizzy. And sleepy. Good thing I'm off tomorrow. Otherwise I'd need to hire a teenager or two to spike my milk shake with sedatives to get me off the 'Net.
Welcome to Cali where we have a energy drink that makes red bull look like mothers milk, one sip and your up all night grinding your teeth and banging your head against the wall
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:35 AM   #41
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
I also thought that the ti design looked better
I agree .

The aluminum design is definitely a lot more simple-looking, which is good, but the carbon fiber looks really nice and the translucent black keyboard looks amazing . It's not sort-of-rounded like the AlBook is either.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:36 AM   #42
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Welcome to Cali where we have a energy drink that makes red bull look like mothers milk, one sip and your up all night grinding your teeth and banging your head against the wall
:O im scared...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 AM   #43
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
I agree .

The aluminum design is definitely a lot more simple-looking, which is good, but the carbon fiber looks really nice and the translucent black keyboard looks amazing . It's not sort-of-rounded like the AlBook is either.
btw ariii are you still using your clam as your main machine?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:38 AM   #44
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Leave me out of this, LOL! I left SoCal 13 years ago for sunny and warm Phoenix. The closest we get to a coast is the Colorado River and Lake Havasu.

Not ever having to reset my clock though has been awesome!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #45
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
btw ariii are you still using your clam as your main machine?
Nope. My high school started requiring MS Office 2008+ :'(. And their web apps are bloated and icky. At least I have something to use Manga Studio with though .

I'm about to put a large 7200 RPM HDD in my iBook and triple boot so I can use it more though ! I have Debian Squeeze on it and it's perfect for web browsing, music composition, and IRC.

WegenerMedia.org remodeled their website and discontinued all of their iBook clamshell parts right before I was going to buy one .
Tumblr
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:53 AM   #46
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Nope. My high school started requiring MS Office 2008+ :'(. And their web apps are bloated and icky. At least I have something to use Manga Studio with though .

I'm about to put a large 7200 RPM HDD in my iBook and triple boot so I can use it more though ! I have Debian Squeeze on it and it's perfect for web browsing, music composition, and IRC.

WegenerMedia.org remodeled their website and discontinued all of their iBook clamshell parts right before I was going to buy one .
How about a 160gb ssd overclock the cpu to 1ghz and put leopard with ms office on that sob
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:04 AM   #47
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How about a 160gb ssd overclock the cpu to 1ghz and put leopard with ms office on that sob
1 GHz?? The 366 MHz models don't usually overheat when overclocked (At least from what I've heard), but it's not that extreme . If somebody finds a way to fit a different logic board in one, I would buy it instantly .

I wanted to get an SSD, but MacOS 9 can only boot from a HDD or a CF Card .
Tumblr
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:48 AM   #48
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Leave me out of this, LOL! I left SoCal 13 years ago for sunny and warm Phoenix. The closest we get to a coast is the Colorado River and Lake Havasu.

Not ever having to reset my clock though has been awesome!
Hey there. Back after a good night's sleep.

I've been to Arizona and loved the weather. Strange as it may seem, my internal weather clock seems most comfortable in San Francisco, Arizona, and San Diego. Since I love the ocean, I'd likely choose one of the two cities in California as my retirement home.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:32 AM   #49
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
1 GHz?? The 366 MHz models don't usually overheat when overclocked (At least from what I've heard), but it's not that extreme . If somebody finds a way to fit a different logic board in one, I would buy it instantly .

I wanted to get an SSD, but MacOS 9 can only boot from a HDD or a CF Card .
Well why not just overclock it to 450 max out the ram and run tiger which I believe may run office 2008
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:02 PM   #50
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well why not just overclock it to 450 max out the ram and run tiger which I believe may run office 2008
512 MB RAM is the maximum RAM of the clamshell iBooks, and 500 MHz+ is required for MS Office 2008 .

Tiger can run MS Office 2008, though. Hopefully, I'll get the school to stop using .docx and switch to the Open Document Format ... Plenty of students I know can't afford Word.

The TiBook needs to run some bloated web-apps, as well.
Tumblr

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs