Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard54

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Weird behavior in iTunes 11. The Movies Library displays all of the contents of the library under the "List" tab at the top, but when I change to the "Movie" tab some of the content does not appear.

After hunting around I found the missing items under the "Home Videos" tab. Any idea why iTunes 11 randomly identifies some movies as Home Movies and others as just Movies? None of the files in the Home Movie tab were in fact home movies. They were all episodes of TV shows that I ripped from my DVDs so I could watch them on my iPad.

Howard54

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks. Your fix let me get it into the proper tab. Still don't know why iTunes does it, but at least I can fix it when it does.

alrut235

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
To answer the question of why does iTunes treat video files this way, it is actually quite simple.

Movies that come from iTunes are marked in the Meta Data that it is a Movie,
Movies with out this marking are defaulted to Home Video. Prior to iTunes 11 there was not a category for Home Video so you likely did not notice this.

While the above mentioned method would place your movies in the right spot, if you ever move that video to another computer, or rebuild your iTunes library that classification will not follow it, as it is part of the iTunes Database not the actual file.
To "Fix" the movies themselves use VideoMonkey or MetaZ. They also will auto search for the other data like artwork, and actor/director.

-Concept-

macrumors member
To answer the question of why does iTunes treat video files this way, it is actually quite simple.

Movies that come from iTunes are marked in the Meta Data that it is a Movie,
Movies with out this marking are defaulted to Home Video. Prior to iTunes 11 there was not a category for Home Video so you likely did not notice this.

While the above mentioned method would place your movies in the right spot, if you ever move that video to another computer, or rebuild your iTunes library that classification will not follow it, as it is part of the iTunes Database not the actual file.
To "Fix" the movies themselves use VideoMonkey or MetaZ. They also will auto search for the other data like artwork, and actor/director.

Thanks for the clarification :)

new-to-mac13

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Issue with Meta Data in Itunes

So, I am new to this whole Mac thing. I have converted all my movies to MP4 format so that they are compatible with itunes and apple and all that. I have the new itunes 11 and tried putting my movies that I downloaded (not on itunes), into iTunes (just the links, not the whole file, I don't want it slowing down my computer and taking up space). It showed up there and plays, but I can't change any of the meta data to organize it accordingly. BUT, when it is actually moved to the computer and taking up space on it, there are no issues (meaning I can organize it and change the meta data accordingly). I hope my problem is clear...any suggestions for me out there? Basically I have a huge movie collection that I want to organize in itunes so I can watch it on my apple TV, but due to the Meta Data issue, I can't organize it unless I have the option checked to COPY FILES TO ITUNES MEDIA FOLDER WHEN ADDING TO LIBRARY, when adding the movies, and I don't want to do that because then it's save in 2 places taking up space. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks in advance for any help.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So, I am new to this whole Mac thing. I have converted all my movies to MP4 format so that they are compatible with itunes and apple and all that. I have the new itunes 11 and tried putting my movies that I downloaded (not on itunes), into iTunes (just the links, not the whole file, I don't want it slowing down my computer and taking up space). It showed up there and plays, but I can't change any of the meta data to organize it accordingly. BUT, when it is actually moved to the computer and taking up space on it, there are no issues (meaning I can organize it and change the meta data accordingly). I hope my problem is clear...any suggestions for me out there? Basically I have a huge movie collection that I want to organize in itunes so I can watch it on my apple TV, but due to the Meta Data issue, I can't organize it unless I have the option checked to COPY FILES TO ITUNES MEDIA FOLDER WHEN ADDING TO LIBRARY, when adding the movies, and I don't want to do that because then it's save in 2 places taking up space. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks in advance for any help.
So, you are currently storing these mp4's on an external HD? Where is the HD connected to, a router?

lidia

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
NY gift

Hey guys,
I've got a $10 gift card for iTunes (U.S. account). I live in Moscow, so unfortunately cannot use it.
For anyone who will see it first, the code is:
XXMPDBM7SYKHF7XT

HAPPY NEW YEAR! ;)

new-to-mac13

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Problem with meta data continued...

I am storing all my videos on my 1TB external that is hooked directly to my iMac. And from there I am trying to get them into my itunes so I can watch them on my apple TV. But I cant organize them or change any meta data without putting them into the itunes media folder first...quite strange.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am storing all my videos on my 1TB external that is hooked directly to my iMac. And from there I am trying to get them into my itunes so I can watch them on my apple TV. But I cant organize them or change any meta data without putting them into the itunes media folder first...quite strange.
First, make sure you go into iTunes Preferences>Advanced tab and make sure that "Keep iTunes Folder Organized" is checked and "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is NOT checked. Also, there are a number of metadata taggers that you can use to add/modify the files metadata prior to putting them into iTunes (Subler, MetaZ, iVI, etc). I like Subler (free) a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.