Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Tenashus1
macrumors regular

VMware version 5.1 on a Mac

Does somebody know how many gigbytes this program takes up on a Mac hard drive with Windows 7 premium included? How can I determine that? I want to load the entire program on an 8gb flash drive, and transfer to another Mac Book Pro. I'm hoping 8gb is big enough to do it.
Tenashus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
Does somebody know how many gigbytes this program takes up on a Mac hard drive with Windows 7 premium included? How can I determine that? I want to load the entire program on an 8gb flash drive, and transfer to another Mac Book Pro. I'm hoping 8gb is big enough to do it.
The light version of the Fusion 5.1 DMG image (doesn't include the AV software included with the 'full' dog) is 215.1MB - very small.

Windows 7 fits on a DVD, so < 5GB.

To transfer a working VM from one system to another, you would have to copy the Virtual Machine file - this size is variable depending on what you selected when you set it up, but almost certainly more that 8GB...

Anyway, by default, Fusion puts virtual machines in this location...
~/Documents/Virtual Machines
The virtual machine will look like a file with an extension of .vmwarevm
right click this file and select "Get Info" to see the size...
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

With Windows 7 you're looking at about 15GB. Yes the install disk is only about 7GB but when it installs it is actually larger and then there are tons of patches to install. Fusion also needs to store of the contents of the memory. My windows 7 machines, clean are around 15 to 20GB in size for the 32 bit version, 20 to 30gb in size for 64bit. Yeah, sadly, Windows 7 does take quite a bit of room. Windows XP I was able to get down to about 4 to 8gb.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

My experience is about 25-30GB, though that's loaded up with Office, browsers, Reader, and Camtasia. Data almost always lives on the mac fs. Depending, you may be able to get it to fit comfortably on a 32GB stick. USB 3 versions of this are around $30 if you shop around. No idea on how this will hold up, as they may be some issue with how many times the flash cells can be written to on a USB stick.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store