Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueeye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I've been trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (GSM) running 6.0.1 constantly, but am unable to do so for reasons that I cannot fathom.

Using the latest version of redsn0w, I go through all the steps, using the 6.0.0 IPSW for my iPhone 4 GSM, and so on. All the kernel boot stuff comes up on the screen, then the running pineapple appears and installs the basics, as usual. Redsn0w claims success, phone reboots, and bam: no Cydia, seemingly no jailbreak. Very frustrating. Yes, I did select "install Cydia".

I then (re)boot tethered, pineapple pops up again, everything seems to go according to plan but again, no cigar. My phone just won't jailbreak, and there aren't even any errors to grapple with! Most frustrating.

I have been jailbreaking my phone since I got it, and I've never had such a weird problem. Has anyone had the same/know how to help?

Chris7811

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
I did that same thing to my stepbrothers iPhone 4 and same problem its the fact that all the iOS 6 jb never worked at all.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
restore to stock and try again, it does work.

follow all the steps exactly and don't forget to boot tethered afterwards.

blueeye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
but for some reason when I restore to stock, even if I log in with the same Game Centre account, I still lose all my save games. Not that I game very much, it's just such a hassle. I'm reluctant to restore, but I guess I can do if it's the only way.

blueeye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
After restoring and jailbreaking twice more I finally got it to work! Phew, what an effort.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
After restoring and jailbreaking twice more I finally got it to work! Phew, what an effort.

Did you ever try shutting it off, then turning it back on and boot tethered? That's what I did the first time and it worked.

blueeye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Did you ever try shutting it off, then turning it back on and boot tethered? That's what I did the first time and it worked.

Many times. This time I have to reboot when I make changes like install Cydia apps but at least I have some of my tweaks (although I wish IntelliscreenX and CleverPin were compatible...)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Many times. This time I have to reboot when I make changes like install Cydia apps but at least I have some of my tweaks (although I wish IntelliscreenX and CleverPin were compatible...)

That is the whole tether concept, you have to reboot with just boot to get it to work...

blueeye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
That is the whole tether concept, you have to reboot with just boot to get it to work...

That's not what I meant. Normally, a tethered JB has to be booted from redsn0w, but this is not necessary for making changes like installing a tweak/cydia app. This time around I have to reboot every time I install an app/tweak from cydia, which didn't used to be the case.

The jailbreak is now working, but it was more difficult than it usually is to apply.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
that i agree with, but sometimes it is handy to have a full solution and info in a thread for the next guy (or girl) who runs in to the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.