Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
They won't have to, BB is bleeding cash and losing customers every month now.

The founder is trying to buy the company and go private but the board thinks BB is worth a lot more, so as BB bleeds and becomes devalued, the founder is getting the company cheaper by the month, however they can not compete with Amazon and Apple directly. I have never heard one good Geek Squad story, and I warn people not to get it.

They have become a showcase for people to look and see the products and then buy them online or somewhere else cheaper.

Then they should change their company name to 'Best Browse' :D

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
As if Best Buy never advertises items for sale they only have 1-2 of?

Oh please. And Best Buy decided to price match during the holidays with their new policy. No one forced them to.

Maybe if Best Buy provided superior customer service people would still buy there.

As for Toys R Us - they are a complete mess. They should worry more about their infrastructure, customer service and empowering their employees vs a sale on iPhones.

Absolutley. Best Buy refused to match their own online price for a TV until I called in and reserved the it myself.

----------

Alot of hurt butts in here sound a bit communist.:mad:

?

----------

I'd like to hear of just one person that got an iPhone 5 for $127. I'm sure there is, but other than here, I didn't hear of anyone I knew getting it. It wasn't the talk of the season, etc. Why? Because they didn't exist.

I know lots of people that did get them for $127

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I'd like to hear of just one person that got an iPhone 5 for $127. I'm sure there is, but other than here, I didn't hear of anyone I knew getting it. It wasn't the talk of the season, etc. Why? Because they didn't exist.

My best friend got a 16 gig model for $127, a couple other friends and colleagues got various models. My Moms friend also got a white 16 gig 5 for $127.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
While I see nothing wrong with Wal-mart's advertising, I've got to say I was disappointed when I went to Wal-mart a few days before Christmas intending to buy both 16 gig and a 32 gig iPhone 5's and being told that Wal-Mart only carries the 16 gig model.

While it's probably something to do with :apple: policy of who can sell what products, if you're going to carry iPhones, maybe try carrying them all? :rolleyes:

Or you can call or check the fine print. I am guess thtat it must have been listed somewhere.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
$65k loss in profits, not overall.

I personally got one from BB for $100, %50 Phone Freedom Offer and then when they reduced the price to $150, I just price matched it for another $50 reduction.

They need to keep their own promotions in check to make sure they aren't losing too much money either.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
awww Poor Best Buy

NOT

Bunch of clueless goof balls run Best Buy. Trying to sell Monster cables and Bose junk. And their extended warrantee.

The sales reps have no idea what they are actually talking about, and considering their geek squad is run by idiots, I don't like BB.

Don't worry, they'll be out of business soon.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
"This is a special Walmart promotion and we are unable to match the price on that offer."

I think that would have done the trick.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Goodie for you, but many other people do not have that luxury.

I happen to like Walmart a lot, and shop there regularly. In my view, they sell good products at low prices to people who are trying to stretch a dollar in this lousy economy, and today that's nearly everyone. There may be an instance or two of "sharp business practices", but by and large, their volume buying power allows them to provide lower prices to their customers.

Walmart also provides many good jobs to the local community. I never understood people who protest a new Walmart store being opened. Despite the demagougary by some, there are always many more applicants than positions available at Walmart. The jobs they provide pay decent wages, health benefits, and even have college savings plans. Not a bad gig if you've got a family, especially with unemployment figures just listed today at 7.8% overall and over 11% for those aged 18-29.

Walmart does not create jobs.
WHen a Walmart goes up, the service is currently being provided by other means. THose other jobs pay more and typically have benefits.

Walmart rarely provides benefits for anything other than management. They systematically make sure most (80% or more) of their workers never cross the threshold to become benefit eligible. They have numerous wage claims in just about every state that they operate in.

The economy is bad so they get applicants. But when they put a Safeway, or some other grocery store out of business, do you honestly think Walmart has done the area a service?

Walmart, is a crap company, with crap policies, and they sneak by with some of the most unethical business practices.

I'll shop at Walmart only under extreme conditions.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
+1 I agree.

Best Buy is going down, and crying like a baby while doing so.

The hate unleashed here onto Best Buy is in general hate towards the way the electronics industry used to and still does business.

Like car salesmen of the past they could not be trusted and many times took advantage of consumers. (Still do of the uninformed)

With the internet and Amazon their antics and overpricing became transparent
and they (so far) did not adjust.

About two times a year I go into a best buy to check things or get a quick adapter or so, but nothing ever changes. (In adapters they are actually good, because they have older stuff around that is hard to find and even at close out pricing LOL)

Most of the time I leave without a purchase, as I have researched what I want beforehand. My guess is most consumers do now , so we typically know more than their sales people.

Just a frustrating visit and a store nobody needs.

Put a fork in it, done!

----------

WHen a Walmart goes up, the service is currently being provided by other means. THose other jobs pay more and typically have benefits.

Walmart rarely provides benefits for anything other than management. They systematically make sure most (80% or more) of their workers never cross the threshold to become benefit eligible. They have numerous wage claims in just about every state that they operate in.

The economy is bad so they get applicants. But when they put a Safeway, or some other grocery store out of business, do you honestly think Walmart has done the area a service?

Walmart, is a crap company, with crap policies, and they sneak by with some of the most unethical business practices.

You are in the minority as their sales prove.

$$$$ that's how the public votes.

Now, if they'd spend some money to hire enough cashiers, so one can get out in a reasonable time, that be gravy.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
To make sure I'm reading this right...

Best Buy complained because a competitor sold a product at a lower price? Which they felt forced them to offer it at the same lower price, leading them to loose money?

1. It's called competition,
2. Nobody forced Best Buy to drop their price. Some customers may have still chosen them over Walmart through brand preference/convenience of location,
3. No-wonder they failed so miserably in the UK if this is their response to a bit of friendly computation.

The idea is that Walmart claimed a low price but actually had few iPhones in stock, causing Best Buy to have to match the price and get screwed while Walmart really didn't have the sale it advertised.

----------

Gimmicks? If they're okay with losing money to bring people into their stores, who's to stop them? So much whining

Read the article. It's not just about the price drop. If it was just Walmart making its prices low, that wouldn't be a gimmick.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

But you still shop there.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
I'll never buy a product from a company that supports making products overseas just to save money...

That's why my iPhone, iPad Mini, apple TV, and iMac were all made in the US of A.

So you mean you never buy a product that was made outside of North or South America? Cause Apple is a company that makes its products in China, Taiwan, and I think Denmark. Also, do you happen to own an "American" car like a Chevy?

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I honestly would not be saddened to see best buy shut down. I have never been able to get best buy to price match apple products. They always insist that apple tells them they cant.

Funny thing is when I printed out a copy of their match policy that shows no apple exclusion they still wouldn't match pricing.

Most of their employees really are friendly but don't know anything and if your selling items to the public you should have advanced knowledge of those products

Last edited:

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria

I agree. It sucks. Also, most of the stuff you buy there ends up being a ripoff when you get home and see it all fall apart.

----------

It seems like 95% of MacRumors users hate any company that sues for any reason without even reading why they're suing.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Price Fixing

I thought Apple required their products to be sold at a set price and never discounted without permission from apple.

I've always liked this strategy, because despite never being able to save money, i never had to worry about where i was going to find the best deal.

Also, I like best buy. Where else are you going to go to see a vast assortment of products in person before you buy? (even if you don't buy it from them)

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
How do these guys even sell them cheaper than Apple???? Is there some drawback? Do you still get the same Apple support? Because if it's all the same, there's no point of buying from Apple.

----------

Also, I like best buy. Where else are you going to go to see a vast assortment of products in person before you buy? (even if you don't buy it from them)

Best Buy isn't bad, but sometimes, they're expensive. Buying cables from them is a very bad idea. I'd shop there to get something big like a TV and get small stuff from eBay.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You are in the minority as their sales prove.

$$$$ that's how the public votes.

Now, if they'd spend some money to hire enough cashiers, so one can get out in a reasonable time, that be gravy.

Basing fact on whether the majority agrees is rather illogical. The majority does not equate to being "right". History has proven this many times, that the general majority may approve of X factor while Y factor may be actually correct. This all amounts to being ill informed or having little choice. In this instance, Consumer A shops at Walmart because there are few alternatives for a B&M store in their area, or they may not be fully informed of the effects their long term consumer practices may have.

What I find shocking is the amount of people cheering for BestBuy to fold. It was not too long ago that other electronics B&M stores folded - CompUSA, CircuitCity - leaving BestBuy as the only national chain left in this domain (aside from Fry's and others who are not as national as BestBuy). If BestBuy folds, this equates to less competition and more market dominance by one corporate entity. That means even LESS choice for consumers, and the good chance Walmart will raise their prices on goods they are the prime supplier of in X market.

Instead of praising Walmart for shutting down another competitor, why not write to BestBuy or support another business that may need help. More competition is better for us, the consumers. Less competition + market dominance = monopoly of goods and services, which almost always leads to higher prices. Think before cheering on another B&M store filing Chapter 11, it's not doing you or anyone a service.

----------

So you mean you never buy a product that was made outside of North or South America? Cause Apple is a company that makes its products in China, Taiwan, and I think Denmark. Also, do you happen to own an "American" car like a Chevy?

That was his point, he was being sarcastic as most people on MacRumors making those claims own products made - in China. :)

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
To be honest. Walmart really sucks when it comes to advertising. I honestly hate Best Buy because most of the people that work there are morons, but when you need something fast, they always have it.

For example. I was looking to get an iPhone 5 for somebody. We went to several Walmart locations and they were all out of stock. Some stores said they have been out of stock for weeks and the next shipment may not be for a other 3 weeks. I went to best but and there was a long line but they had plenty of stock.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Best Buy by me - the people are really helpful and smart. Most are young adult part-timers that go to the local junior colleges and colleges in the area.

Will be too bad if BB goes under for them.

But really, I remember when ours opened, all the really cool long-time local Hi-Fi/Home Entertainment stores went out-of-business... :mad:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Walmart didn't have sufficient inventory though, since I had to call around to multiple Walmarts and majority of them were both out of stock, and only carrier either AT&T or Verizon, but not both carriers. Best Buy seems to always have inventory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.