Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Vortor
macrumors newbie

Choosing a Game Controller For Gaming

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a game controller to play some old school games on emulators. Thing is, I would like some recommendations. Wireless controllers would be great, especially if I don't need to install/mess with drivers.

Some additional information might be useful. The computer is a iMac 27" (late 2009 model) with 10.6.8 Mac OS X.

I'm more interested in playing NES, SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games.

I was thinking getting one of the SNES controllers. If you have one, how does it behave?

Thanks.
Vortor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2
kylera
macrumors 6502a

You'd have to mod the cable of any of those console controllers, and that's something a bit out of my league.

I've seen word of how the wireless Xbox 360 controllers can play well with OS X. Try a search for that.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Vortor
macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Dagless
macrumors Core

The wired one is plug-and-play, and it's the best controller you can go with for PC gaming. It's pretty much the standard controller now. Some other controllers might have different button and axis placements which might mess things up a little.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
ndonnine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortor View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.

If you get a wireless, you have to buy a DONGLE! You can't plug in with the cord and play. If you buy a wired you can plug it in and the drivers are on www.windows.com
ndonnine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Vortor
macrumors newbie

I see. Wired seems to be the best bet.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Vorsos
macrumors newbie

I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.
Vorsos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
ash.peas
macrumors newbie

Tomee USB controller

Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks!
ash.peas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash.peas View Post
Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks!
If you already have an SNES controller you like, why not get a Mayflash adaptor

I have one for my N64 controller, and another for my Wii Classic, and they work great! YMMV...read the Amazon reviews and see if it is for you.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post
I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.
Can I use the PS 3 controller in Bootcamp and Osx that way? Wish I had known that before I bought the wireless dongle for my 360 controller
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
lightz39
macrumors regular

xbox 360 controller, don't look at anything else. It will be a waste of time.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games