Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Technically you can't change the past/history as it's already happened. But . . . I get what you mean you you are right.

I probably should've said what happened in the past is not necessarily a guide for the future. Anyway, I have this feeling Apple has some surprises in store for us this year and I hope that includes something that's more exciting than a just a minor iPhone "S"/iOS upgrade.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
The whole notifications thing is so busted. I like the idea and fucntionality it extends. However it so ugly, it intrudes upon the interface instead of looking like a part of IOS. And when you are in a game, or typing a message it often rolls in over the top of (or directly adjacent to) buttons you want to hit!

They should offer further options to lock it out games for instance or to make the notifications translucent and non-clickable so you can keep doing what you are doing without having to wait for them to move out of the way.

And I say this all the time for years now. Why can't we delete songs?
I get really tired of having to wait until I get home to delete a song I do not like off of my phone. EG a lot of hip-hop records have little intros or skits that get really tiresome after the 3rd or fourth listen. DELETE!
A lot of compilation albums have some serious duds, DELETE!

Jonny Ive

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
iOS 7

This is quite possibly the end of the iPhone.

I am a big Apple fan, I have the works Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule and I love them all very dearly. But God I'm bored.

I'm fed up with being in the Apple camp when my friends come up to me with their Samsung Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note and show me one of the cool features their new phone has or what the latest Android operating system is able to do.

Apple just works (most of the time, they're getting ever so sloppy with the releases lately) and thats why I use it. Apple used to be ahead of the game and it's like they have run out of steam and are stationary while everyone else is just picking up momentum.

This is what Apple must do in order to get back ahead of the competition:

1. New iOS (call it something new) make the user interaction different and more intuitive. I've gotten so fed up with looking for apps. Home screen with widgets, swipe left for Frequently used apps, swipe right for all apps, swipe up for Phone.
2. NFC (This one is just catching up) London is full of NFC technology, bill boards, quick pay, OYSTER (We've been using it for years).
3. Kill Apple Maps, bring it back in a year or two once you've got it working and make sure that all map / geographic links go straight to Google maps, they've been doing it much longer than you.
4. Create and app called media which has icons to Music, Video, Podcasts, Radio, books, news stand etc, I just don't have the screen real estate for these apps.
5. Sort out the iTunes account issue. Since you created iCloud most of us have ended up with at least two accounts.
6. On the accounts issue, sort out the multi app, multi device logging in issue. I want to use the same FaceTime / iMessage / iCloud account on all my devices and if I have all three of them on my desk at the same time I want them all to get the message / face time call / email at the same time. Synchronisation!!!
7. I don't want every app on my iPhone / iPad, ask me if I want to install it to the one device or all my devices when I purchase it. If I update it on one, I want to update it on the other too.
8. Synchronised app data across iCloud, Allow app data to be stored in iCloud and then sync that way the todo app i have on my iPhone, I can read on my iPad and update on my macbook. This is simple stuff. Please make it work.
9. Let me decide whether or not I get voice feedback with or without headphones from Siri and allow developers to use integrate with Siri
10. This is the clincher, This is the age of the smart device, it knows where we are, when we are, how we are, what we're doing, the difference between a weekday and a weekend, can measure our habits, mood, tastes yet is doesn't do anything with this information to make my life better. Lets add in the following:
- Profiles based on time / location / diary entries i.e. silence phone during a meeting and turn the ringer back on after
- suggest playlists / tracks (Create auto-playlists based on time of day, and patterns of activity i.e. I like country on the way to work but electronic on the way home, classical on a sunday afternoon but only if its raining outside)
- Siri interaction, remind me with Siri that I have a meeting in 10 minutes with the boss, or that I need to pick up milk on the way home. I want to talk to her and I want her to talk to me, spontaneously.
- Create a news app that I can create search terms that it automatically alerts me to if an event concerning these events is reported

Apple, if you're out of ideas my salary is $80,000 + Benefits and I'd need moving expenses to cupertino. I'm a creative perfectionist.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
This is quite possibly the end of the iPhone.

I am a big Apple fan, I have the works Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule and I love them all very dearly. But God I'm bored.

I'm fed up with being in the Apple camp when my friends come up to me with their Samsung Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note and show me one of the cool features their new phone has or what the latest Android operating system is able to do.

Apple just works (most of the time, they're getting ever so sloppy with the releases lately) and thats why I use it. Apple used to be ahead of the game and it's like they have run out of steam and are stationary while everyone else is just picking up momentum.

This is what Apple must do in order to get back ahead of the competition:

1. New iOS (call it something new) make the user interaction different and more intuitive. I've gotten so fed up with looking for apps. Home screen with widgets, swipe left for Frequently used apps, swipe right for all apps, swipe up for Phone.
2. NFC (This one is just catching up) London is full of NFC technology, bill boards, quick pay, OYSTER (We've been using it for years).
3. Kill Apple Maps, bring it back in a year or two once you've got it working and make sure that all map / geographic links go straight to Google maps, they've been doing it much longer than you.
4. Create and app called media which has icons to Music, Video, Podcasts, Radio, books, news stand etc, I just don't have the screen real estate for these apps.
5. Sort out the iTunes account issue. Since you created iCloud most of us have ended up with at least two accounts.
6. On the accounts issue, sort out the multi app, multi device logging in issue. I want to use the same FaceTime / iMessage / iCloud account on all my devices and if I have all three of them on my desk at the same time I want them all to get the message / face time call / email at the same time. Synchronisation!!!
7. I don't want every app on my iPhone / iPad, ask me if I want to install it to the one device or all my devices when I purchase it. If I update it on one, I want to update it on the other too.
8. Synchronised app data across iCloud, Allow app data to be stored in iCloud and then sync that way the todo app i have on my iPhone, I can read on my iPad and update on my macbook. This is simple stuff. Please make it work.
9. Let me decide whether or not I get voice feedback with or without headphones from Siri and allow developers to use integrate with Siri
10. This is the clincher, This is the age of the smart device, it knows where we are, when we are, how we are, what we're doing, the difference between a weekday and a weekend, can measure our habits, mood, tastes yet is doesn't do anything with this information to make my life better. Lets add in the following:
- Profiles based on time / location / diary entries i.e. silence phone during a meeting and turn the ringer back on after
- suggest playlists / tracks (Create auto-playlists based on time of day, and patterns of activity i.e. I like country on the way to work but electronic on the way home, classical on a sunday afternoon but only if its raining outside)
- Siri interaction, remind me with Siri that I have a meeting in 10 minutes with the boss, or that I need to pick up milk on the way home. I want to talk to her and I want her to talk to me, spontaneously.
- Create a news app that I can create search terms that it automatically alerts me to if an event concerning these events is reported

Apple, if you're out of ideas my salary is $80,000 + Benefits and I'd need moving expenses to cupertino. I'm a creative perfectionist.
Really dude? Johnny I've is your username? What a trolololololol.....

GreenLimeCrush

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I absolutely love my iPhone, but more and more see the advances in Android. I'm hoping that iOS7 rolls out some huge leaps forward.

Apple had a huge lead in the past and could advance slowly, but now that lead is gone and if iOS7 is as uneventful as iOS6 I can see Apple slowing moving into the same fruit basket as Blackberry. RIM moved ahead slowly while the competition was making huge advances....look what happened there...even the mighty can fall.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I agree.
Time for redesign,Ive does this very well:

•They must implement the multitask as seen here and everywhere
http://www.mod-gadget.com/auxo-jailbreak-tweak-multitasking-ios/
•They should redesign the Home screen,giving choice to add live backgrounds as seen by lot of time in Android,
•They need (well i need )to put in the home or beside some saving time buttons for Bluetooth,Wifi,hot spot..basically what by ages is seen on...Android..
•They should put something like WIFI DIRECT to pass files over the Apple Bluetooth limitations between non Ios devices..as its done on Android...( i tend to use Bump,FileTransfer App and obviously email )
•They should have something to "see" 2 or more apps at the same time on the screen and add some drag and drop to pass doc,pdf,wav.midi,etc..between two apps ( now we can only have Copy-Paste by Sonoma,Open with..and luckily the new Audiobus app)
•a capacitive Ipad Active Stylus with a realistic tip..and shape not the great one we usually see now
(even if the Ipen2 on kickstarter looks very promising...this as well as the Leap Motion)

Basically they need to avoid to warm the same pot..(that i still love)
while looking around (or in their labs^^)and retrieving the time they lost between "them,Jailbreak scene and Android"...this is a little ironic,because a lot of Android ideas came from Ios and a lot of Ios came from Jailbreak scene.

This not forgettin how relevant had been the Iphone , coming on the market.
I have then to say that i use a lot of Google services on my Iphone 4,this also makes me think...a little...Androidly..because no matter what Zuck thinks, i won't never use the Facebook services,such as social,video call,search engine and mail..no way!

Last edited:

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
agree.
Time for redesign,and Ive does this very well:

•They must implement the multitask as seen here and everywhere
http://www.mod-gadget.com/auxo-jailbreak-tweak-multitasking-ios/
•They should redesign the Home screen,giving choice to add live backgrounds as seen by lot of time in Android,
•They need (well i need )to put in the home or beside some saving time buttons for Bluetooth,Wifi,hot spot..basically what by ages is seen on...Android..
•They should put something like WIFI DIRECT to pass files over the Apple Bluetooth limitations between non Ios devices..as its done on Android...( i tend to use Bump,FileTransfer App and obviously email )
•They should have something to "see" 2 or more apps at the same time on the screen and add some drag and drop to pass doc,pdf,wav.midi,etc..between two apps ( now we can only have Copy-Paste by Sonoma,Open with..and luckily the new Audiobus app)(try SidebySide App)
•a capacitive Ipad Active Stylus with a realistic tip..and shape not the great one we usually see now
(even if the Ipen2 on kickstarter looks very promising...this as well as the Leap Motion)
•

Basically they need to avoid to warm the same pot..(that i still love)
while looking around (or in their labs^^)and retrieving the time they lost between "them,Jailbreak scene and Android"...this is a little ironic,because a lot of Android ideas came from Ios and a lot of Ios came from Jailbreak scene.

This not forgettin how relevant had been the Iphone , coming on the market.
I have then to say that i use a lot of Google services on my Iphone 4,this also makes me think...a little...Androidly..because no matter what Zuck thinks, i won't never use the Facebook services,such as social,video call,search engine and mail..no way!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
A lot of what iOS needs has already been created in the jailbreak community.

Apple needs to buy or take from that pool of information, tweak, ensure performance and implement.

And really, it wouldn't take much. Quick setting toggles, superior multitasking abilities, some new gestures to give my home button a rest, and intelligent use of the lock screen...

Oh, and more robust Notification center functionality.

blabberering

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Vehicle mode

I can honestly say I want almost none of these.

Vehicle mode would be a good idea but it would have too many glitches. They need to do something like google voice. If I text it is just like talking on the phone. I say verbally text jack, I will be there soon than click send. I have an ipad 2 so I don't know if seri is capable of the same things as google voice, but if it does it should be Siri for all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.