Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought my iMac day one when the the aluminimum iMac's first went on sale. I believe that's coming up on about four years. I've enjoyed it, but I'm considering buying one of the new models. My current iMac is 19" (I believe, much smaller than the 27")

Would appreciate feedback from some of you that made the leap from an older model to the current model. I'm sure the performance increase would be significant.

I try not to be one that upgrades simply because a new model is available, but after three to four years I think it may be time.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I went from a 2007 24" iMac to the 2011 27" iMac 3.4 Ghz i7.

I didn't really want 27" but coming from a 24" I could not downgrade to the 21.5".

Performance wise, of course there will be a huge difference.

As far as CPU choice, I probably did not need the i7 and the i5 would have been enough, but what if it wasn't ..... then I would be stuck with the i5 wishing I had the i7.

I pumped the i7 to 16 GB Ram, where as my old iMac 24" only had 6 GB Ram.

HDD are always external for me, so I don't bother with SSD's.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I went from mid 2007 20" to the new 2012 with fusion. The new model is quieter, much faster, better display and I'm no longer worrying about internal hd capacity. Not regretted the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.