Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1
dhokes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
iTunes and separating singles from albums

I have a bunch of singles and when I view by Albums I have a loads of 'Unknown Albums' for every single artist.

Does anyone have a working method of separating individual singles from albums so they all appear under one?

I tried to place them all in one album called 'singles', with the album artist as 'various artists' and ticked the compilation option. This works to an extent but then I can't search for the artists of the singles.
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
I have a bunch of singles and when I view by Albums I have a loads of 'Unknown Albums' for every single artist.

Does anyone have a working method of separating individual singles from albums so they all appear under one?

I tried to place them all in one album called 'singles', with the album artist as 'various artists' and ticked the compilation option. This works to an extent but then I can't search for the artists of the singles.
If you have the Album Artist as "Various Artists", you can still search for and sort songs by the Artist field. If you search for an artist by name, you'll find songs by that artist, whether they're singles or part of an album. I use that method, leaving the Album field blank. It works well, as all singles sort together when sorting by the Album field.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:44 PM   #3
dhokes
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you have the Album Artist as "Various Artists", you can still search for and sort songs by the Artist field. If you search for an artist by name, you'll find songs by that artist, whether they're singles or part of an album. I use that method, leaving the Album field blank. It works well, as all singles sort together when sorting by the Album field.
So I've left the album field blank ... if I use the search box and type in the artist, it doesn't display anything. If I search for the single title, it displays the title.

Ideally, I want to be able to use the search box to search for artist X's songs.
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
So I've left the album field blank ... if I use the search box and type in the artist, it doesn't display anything. If I search for the single title, it displays the title.
That's bizzarre, as searching will look for your search term in all fields. Can you try a search, then take a screen shot and post it? Also, what version of iTunes and what version of OS X are you running?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
dhokes
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
That's bizzarre, as searching will look for your search term in all fields. Can you try a search, then take a screen shot and post it? Also, what version of iTunes and what version of OS X are you running?
iTunes - 11.0.1
OS X - 10.8.2

So I've got a single...
Title: Wires
Artist: Athlete
Album Artist: Various Artists
Album: Singles
Part of compilation: check

Searching for 'Athlete'... result: http://i49.tinypic.com/9s4hme.png
Searching for 'Wires' ... results: http://i49.tinypic.com/vexiz4.png
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
iTunes - 11.0.1
OS X - 10.8.2

So I've got a single...
Title: Wires
Artist: Athlete
Album Artist: Various Artists
Album: Singles
Part of compilation: check

Searching for 'Athlete'... result: http://i49.tinypic.com/9s4hme.png
Searching for 'Wires' ... results: http://i49.tinypic.com/vexiz4.png
I'm not running iTunes 11. Is it restricting the search to only the field in the selected column (Songs)? That's not the way it used to work. If so, try clicking the Artist column heading and search for Athlete.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
dhokes
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I'm not running iTunes 11. Is it restricting the search to only the field in the selected column (Songs)? That's not the way it used to work. If so, try clicking the Artist column heading and search for Athlete.
Nope. I've tried that and I get the same results. It appears as though it only searches through the Album Artists and not the Artists.
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:46 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
Nope. I've tried that and I get the same results. It appears as though it only searches through the Album Artists and not the Artists.
If you click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass at the beginning of the search area, what options do you see? Do you have "All" checked?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
I'd blame iTunes 11 rather than your tags. I've had really weird search behaviour from it, and that's the main reason that I reverted to 10.7. I can't see anything wrong with your tags in your screenshots.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:26 AM   #10
dhokes
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass at the beginning of the search area, what options do you see? Do you have "All" checked?
All, Song, Album, Artist, Composer

I've tried both 'All' and 'Artist' and they both return no results.
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:53 AM   #11
dhokes
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Just got off the telephone to Tech Support.

Seems to be a bug and it works if I uncheck 'Search Entire Library'.
__________________
iPhone 4 | 27" iMac
dhokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Separating Accounts in iTunes Jetheat Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Jul 30, 2013 07:18 AM
iTunes albums TobyI Digital Audio 0 Mar 19, 2013 03:05 PM
Albums in iTunes Divided into 2 Albums bldmn Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Feb 28, 2013 04:38 PM
iTunes albums Usehername iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Nov 29, 2012 08:02 PM
Separating Parts of iTunes Library zainjetha OS X 1 Sep 26, 2012 01:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC