Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
tekksan
macrumors regular

16GB RAM vs Samsung Display on rMBP

I have a base rMBP with a Samsung panel but did not realize this laptop is not user upgradable for RAM so I ordered a BTO with 16GB Ram and the 2.6 CPU upgrade. I also was not aware of the LG panel IR issue so my question is, if you were me, and you got the BTO in and it ended up having an LG display, would you just

a) keep it
b) order a new BTO and ship the LG unit back once you get the new one (lottery)
c) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)

Note, the reason for the 16GB upgrade is because I will be keeping this laptop for a long time and I don't want to run into RAM issues in 2-3 years.

Last edited by tekksan; Jan 4, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
tekksan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Spetsnazos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekksan View Post
I have a base rMBP with a Samsung panel but did not realize this laptop is not user upgradable for RAM so I ordered a BTO with 16GB Ram and the 2.6 CPU upgrade. I also was not aware of the LG panel IR issue so my question is, if you were me, and you got the BTO in and it ended up having an LG display, would you just

a) keep it or order a new BTO and ship it back once you get the new one
b) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)
c) just keep the LG BTO (2.6/16GB)

Note, the reason for the 16GB upgrade is because I will be keeping this laptop for a long time and I don't want to run into RAM issues in 2-3 years.
I have the Samsung with 16gig's of RAM. Where is that option?
Spetsnazos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
peskaa
macrumors 68020

I would use the machine as normal, and only kick up a fuss about the display if I noticed any problems when actually using it.
peskaa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:54 PM   #4
leman
macrumors 601

Quote:
What kind of tasks do you do that you would expect needing more then 8Gb RAM in 3 years?
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
robo456
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
What kind of tasks do you do that you would expect needing more then 8Gb RAM in 3 years?
For me, Parallels/Fusion comes to mind for right now... at least that's why I was planning for the 16gb option... for the $150 bucks or whatever it was, it seemed like it was worth it over the course of the years I'm planning on keeping it... (still running an 07 whitebook O.o)

--rob
robo456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
tekksan
macrumors regular

Yes, VMware, etc. but also expect more RAM usage from Retina apps from what I've read.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:28 PM   #7
-BigMac-
macrumors 6502

Quote:

a) keep it
b) order a new BTO and ship the LG unit back once you get the new one (lottery)
c) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)

Next time, i would highly recommend researching a LITTLE bit as these headaches can be easily avoided.

I would go with Option B. Order the BTO, theres about 2/3 chance you will get an LG display. Go the an Apple Store near you, tell them of the screen burn and they will replace the screen within 2 days. Make sure to emphasise you want the Samsung screen or you will be back again.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Who cares if you get an LG screen? The odds are it will work fine. There were just a few bad ones out for the first few months and people got over whiney for no good reason. Get the 16gb.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
nissan.gtp
macrumors 6502

keep it.

going with 16GB == good decision
nissan.gtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:28 PM   #10
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Forget the screen - buy the laptop you want. If you have burn in issues down the road, have AppleCare replace the display. Seems simple, you have a warranty for a reason, use it .

With the 16GB of RAM + SSD, Windows in VMWare runs near native. Depending on the VM I give it 2-8GB of RAM to use.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11
tekksan
macrumors regular

I just saw that rMBP showed up on the Apple Refurb site so I'm rolling the dice on one of those too. So, I have two rMBPs inbound and I'm hoping one of them has a Samsung.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:35 AM   #12
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I just saw that rMBP showed up on the Apple Refurb site so I'm rolling the dice on one of those too. So, I have two rMBPs inbound and I'm hoping one of them has a Samsung.
When did LG screen = bad screen? If it's not broken then don't swap it!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
bill-p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
When did LG screen = bad screen? If it's not broken then don't swap it!
When most of the reports with image retention came from LG, and zero of them from Samsung.

----

Anyway, I'd still say... keep the 16GB regardless of whether it's LG or Samsung. If image retention, dead pixel, uneven backlighting, etc... show up, then go to Apple and request a display replacement rather than return the computer. I replaced my LG with a Samsung display, and it's been perfect since then.

The display is important, but I don't think one has to juggle through brand new computers in order to find a perfect one.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:46 PM   #14
tekksan
macrumors regular

So I just received my 2.6/512/16GB rmbp refurb and it has an LG (currently I have a base rmbp with Samsung). Decision time-keep the current one or the refurb (the refurb was not much more $ than the new base model and I'm not concerned with the extra cash the better model costs).

I think I'll keep the refurb and take it in if/when problems creep up with the LG.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro